Should I Buy Toyota Vios Or Honda Jazz?

Harmonica

Have a Toyota Vigo but she can't drive it -- too intimidating and looks like a tank, she says -- OK, so we need a small car. I'm happy with the good service provided by Toyota -- and have no experience dealing with Honda. There seems to be a price difference of about 80,000 Baht, but I ask for your opinions. Much obliged. :o

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a Toyota Vigo but she can't drive it -- too intimidating and looks like a tank, she says -- OK,  so we need a small car.  I'm happy with the good service provided by Toyota -- and have no experience dealing with Honda.  There seems to be a price difference of about 80,000 Baht, but I ask for your opinions.  Much obliged.  :D

The Jazz was voted best small car of the year from "Top Gear" on BBC. I think they are a great little car and heaps of room inside for a big farang.

Jazz :o

Hi, both cars are very nice, do what they are supposed to and drive fine although personally think the Vios just about shades it on driveability, feels bigger but guess that may be a guy thing.

Honda, imho, has slightly the better build quality which may swing it, but then also consider where your local dealer will be. Toyota seems to have better coverage and when I have been enquiring about a deal seem more agreeable to discount. More competition?

Andy.

The Honda is more attractive to me for its build quality and is slightly cheaper than the Toyota if I am correct. Friends have told me the down side of the Honda is the higher cost of parts and lower resale value. They opted to buy the Vios due to this.

NL

The Honda Jazz is a very cool and snazzy looking car, but the thing I worry about is the fact that theres hardly anything between the driver and the front of the car, if it was involved in a head on collision (god forbid but we are talking about driving in LOS) it looks to me that the driver wouldn't stand a chance.

So on the saftey aspect I'd pick something with a bit more of actual 'car' infront of it.

Edited by Shola

Hondas have the reputation for a tighter, stiffer car that would appeal to a man because of its cornering characteristics.

The Toyota Vios has a softer ride which appeals to ladies, my neighbor just bought his wife one. Their service is superb and the re-sale value is excellent. You really can't go wrong with either, but for ladies, I would go Toyota.

Tuky,

OK, no suspense -- she has read (with a little help and a bit of translation) all the responses and is absolutely thrilled with the info presented here -- here then are her exact words --

"I think Vios better for me, but Mr. Lopburi and Mr. Tukyleath say Jazz much better 'feeling' and I like see-ahng of word pizazz, make me think of pizza -- also able to see for to be able to park and no make accident"

End result: she is going to test drive both next week. As an observer (I dare not interfere in this decision process) I think what Shola stated about "safety" might neutralize Tuky+Lop and she'll opt for the Vios.

I promise I'll post the final outcome asap. :o:D

Tuky,

OK, no suspense --  she has read (with a little help and a bit of translation) all the responses and is absolutely thrilled with the info presented here -- here then are her exact words --

"I think  Vios  better for me, but Mr. Lopburi and Mr. Tukyleath say Jazz much  better 'feeling' and I like see-ahng of word pizazz, make me think of pizza -- also  able to see for to be able to park and no make accident"

End result: she is going to test drive both next week.  As an observer (I dare not interfere in this decision process) I think what Shola stated about "safety" might neutralize Tuky+Lop and she'll opt for the Vios.

I promise I'll post the final outcome asap.  :o  :D

If you find a dealership for either Toyota or Honda that will let you test drive a car please do post the details. I have never found one that will let you test drive a car from either Toyota or Honda.

Jazz Jazz Jazz, I bought my missus one, she loves it, but I love it more, great accelaration, decent breaks, crap sound system so had to get a replacement, but I prefer driving it to my Isuzu Tank, but as already mentioned you cannot see the front of the car from the driver's seat and it would cruch terrribly on a head on, (no airbag either). The Tank is sfer but the jazz is a lot more fun. Just keep her off the roads to avoid all the drunken idiots between 10pm and 1am (PS Reverse Park Aid is a must- and its not expensive to have installed)

Harmonica, if your in Chiang Mai try Sarapanich, on Mae Rim road just north of the super highway intersection. Try for a 5% discount.

There service is excellent and their body work unbelievable.

You may choose to consider ABS brakes. My Thai drives like most drivers who are unaccustomed to true high speed highways, that is keeping your eye only on the cars in the immediate vicinity, thus when higher speeds are reached, slow reaction time. Someone commented on the Jazz not having ABS brakes available, I have posted a Toyota preference for softer ride, but would certainly emphasize ABS brakes. Our Toyota four speaker sound system, standard, is quite nice, although we did install a CD player.

>>>> If you find a dealership for either Toyota or Honda that will let you test drive a car please do post the details. I have never found one that will let you test drive a car from either Toyota or Honda. <<<<<<

Can't speak for CM just yet, Digger, but in Phuket, I test drove several models and several cars/trucks from various dealers with only a little reluctance shown by the head honchos. Actually Toyota was the most patient with me esp. since I had never driven a pick-up before and had to first decide between that and a car -- You bet, I'll post my CM Toyota/Honda experience. Thanks

>>>>> Just keep her off the roads to avoid all the drunken idiots between 10pm and 1am (PS Reverse Park Aid is a must- and its not expensive to have installed) <<<<<<

Good advice, ThaiPauly, but for us its no problem not being on the roads late at night -- I am assuming that the Reverse Park Aid is synonymous with "Parking Sensor" -- if so, abs. agree -- I have this feature on my Vigo and it is a blessing -- 2,500 Baht, I believe; actually comes in so handy that in retrospect I'd have paid 50,000 for it -- but let's not go there.

Honda Jazz or Vios...I wouldn't buy either one of them. Honda's reputation for reliability is not as good here as it is in the US. Too bad since Hondas are normally good vehicles. The Vios may be more reliable and Toyotas are better here in Thailand I think than Honda. However, both the Vios and Jazz are not built very well and wouldn't hold up as well as other vehicles in a collision. Both vehicles look like tin cans. Good mileage though.

Since my last post regarding my Toyota, and my preference for them over Honda in Thailand, I was having a cup of coffee with my neighbor who had just bought his wife a Vios. It sat there in his driveway, a good looking four door sedan in a metalic bronze color. Shortly, a Honda Jazz drove up and I was shocked at how the Jazz suffered in comparison in the looks department.

I thought the Honda we were referring to was their sedan, the City or similar, but the Jazz looks like a truncated, frontless economy runabout that I would be surprised any self-respecting Thai woman would be seen in with pride, unless she has fallen victim to the "soccer mom" syndrome. A Toyota Wish certainly is better looking than the Jazz, and larger inside. The new even larger toyota Inova, built on the pick up chassi is close to my idea of a high seat comfort about town vehicle with plenty of cargo space, but the price is a million baht or more. In a word, the Jazz looks like both ends were cut off. I second the post that the driver looks at great risk in a front end collision, especially without a air bag, which the Toyota has for both driver and passenger. I am surprised about a post that says the Honda doesn't have airbags???

Cant agree with PTE, in the UK I had a Merc CLK Convertable AMG the dogs Boll###s, but I think the Jazz is good looking, bog standard maybee not but we had ours customised with spoilers alloys black windows blue interior lights and exhaust etc, I am happy to be seen driving it as it stands out from other Jazz's (well actually you cant see me cuase the windows are black)

But I am very happy with the performance and mpg and as I posted earlier pprefer driving it to my 1.3m Izusu Adventure 4x4, the acceleration is excellent and although no ABS my wife drives so slowly Tuk Tuks overtake her so no chance of her having to break suddenly!!!

But we do have nice looking seatbelts !!!

>>>>> I thought the Honda we were referring to was their sedan, the City or similar, but the Jazz looks like a truncated, frontless economy runabout that I would be surprised any self-respecting Thai woman would be seen in with pride, unless she has fallen victim to the "soccer mom" syndrome. <<<<<<

A few days ago we met a stately Thai lady in her 50's and she went on and on about the Jazz being extremely popular with young Thais in the 18-25 bracket -- it seems they like that zip-around-town-look-and-feel and many of them now consider others who own one to be on the same "wavelength" --- the missus is 24 and certainly in that age group -- there is a pull no doubt, but amazingly she is now at 80% Toyota versus 20% Jazz.

I think its the word "pizazz" in Tuky's post that is preventing a resounding 100% Toyota score.

Its entirely her call -- the 80,000 Baht difference might be whittled down by 20K because I believe Toyota offers 1 yr. 1st class insurance included in the price.

"Being a Honda employee in Australia, my views here will be very biased but I will try to be objective as much as I can.

GO WITH THE JAZZ"

I'm a Porsche employee here in the USA, now I REALLY think she would have more fun and you too with one of our products.:o))