New Year In Pattaya

Sexy Beast

Hi All

As a big fan of Pattaya I’ll think I should go there for the Year New celebrations as a break from my tedious job in Phnom Penh.

So my question is this – Khmer N/Y here in Cambodia is awful I can’t leave the safety of my flat and girlfriend’s bosom without getting flowered and watered every time I want to pop out for a packet of cigarettes.

How is Pattaya at this time?

Is it full of idiots drenching every poor guy talking an early evening stroll or is it tamer?

During the day I don't mind the fun and I do enjoy throwing cold water over young Thia women however if I dress up for the nightlife I don't want to return to my hotel looking like a wet blanket.

Advice appreciated

S B

I assume you are talking about Song Kran, the Thai New Year.

Pattaya is pretty crazy around that time.

The water throwing moves up the road from Chonburi over the course of a week, reaching a peak in Pattaya a week after the real date.

Technically all water throwing is supposed to stop at night fall,

but that depends on the efficiency of the boys in brown, and their assistants with brown noses.

Is it full of idiots drenching every poor guy talking an early evening stroll or is it tamer?

Mate , it's worse. I've had the misfortune to be there about 7 times around April 19th ( Songkran in that part of Los , other parts of Thailand can be earlier)

It's completely mental. I enjoyed the frist couple of times but would advise staying in a bar or Hotel for a while if you don't enjoy being soaked/pelted with ice cubes by all and sundry. It starts a day or 2 before and doesn't let up.

Beats having to shower though ( if you're an Aussie :o )

Thanks Chaps

Getting ice cubes thrown at doesn’t appeal however here in PP it's not nice. I hate it. There’s nothing like a smack in face from a bag of flower, flowed by a shower when I’m driving down the road doing 50 on my Honda Wave. The Khmers are idiots at that time of year.

What I’m trying to get a ‘handle on’ is it worse than here . . .

Also prices and accommodation does the price of hotels and anything other go up and are there rooms available or is booking advised – I’ll arrive a few days before the madness anyway.

Opinions please Gents

Sexy Beast

Edited by Sexy Beast

I/d have to agree with Chon the first couple of times were enough for me..........these days i tend to get supplies in and hole up for the week. Re rooms it is busy at Songkran so booking would be advisable..........not saying you wont get a room by just arriving, just that its advisable to book.

Thanks Chaps

Getting ice cubes thrown at doesn’t appeal however here in PP it's not nice. I hate it. There’s nothing like a smack in face from a bag of flower, flowed by a shower when I’m driving down the road doing 50 on my Honda Wave. The Khmers are idiots at that time of year.

What I’m trying to get a ‘handle on’ is it worse than here . . .

Also prices and accommodation does the price of hotels and anything other go up and are there rooms available or is booking advised – I’ll arrive a few days before the madness anyway. 

Opinions please Gents 

Sexy Beast

For your information the official dates for Songkran are the 13th to the 15th April, although in some northern and rural areas it goes on for up to a week.

As it is coming towards the quiet season then you should not have problems booking accommodation, but it is always adviseable to book for your first night. :o

Loved it when I came on holiday, now I just tend to either go on a holiday for a week, or just hole up for a couple of days....

If I'm around I do go out on the main day and just have a ball :D

It's just no fun for 7 days in a row...

If I go buy a loaf of bread I do want to get it home dry, and I hate 6 days old bread :o

Songkhran in Patters is vile. It has become a bastardisation of the festival. There is no let up at all during the festivities usually from <deleted> in pick up trucks who wouldn't know the meaning of Songkhran if it bit them on the ar5e.

If it were only one day it wouldn't be so bad but it get tiresome after that..............

Songkhran in Patters is vile. It has become a bastardisation of the festival. There is no let up at all during the festivities usually from <deleted> in pick up trucks who wouldn't know the meaning of Songkhran if it bit them on the ar5e.

If it were only one day it wouldn't be so bad but it get tiresome after that..............

I have to agree...now they are using powerful vaccuum pumps and the barrels of dirty water seem to get bigger every year........ If you are riding a motorcyle and get the full force of a jet of water in your face then it could be lethal.......best to hibernate for a few days.....

I live just outside Pattaya and I also concur with everyone else... it's awful. There are so many drunken idiots on the roads... and some of the worst offenders are falungs. :o

I get away from the place and spend Songkran up-country... Isaan actually. I like to celebrate it with genuine Thais in a genuine Thai environment. :D

This doesn't only apply to Pattaya. I've spent a few Songkran's in Samui and it's much the same. One bar owner used to put sand-bags up before the antics started. Made it look more like a world war 1 bunker. I think you get the picture...alright for the first time then it becomes boring.

I wonder how may farangs throwing water know why they are throwing water?

I did Songkran once and never again.....I had the actual day up country which was ok even if I did get totally soaked....but the days leading up to it was a lot of hot wnak......Mostly farangs trying to soak people....including office girls on their way to work in uniforms....but the worst was the 2 fat German slobs who left the country a week before the festivities....soaking everyone they saw as they wouldnt be there for it and didnt want to miss out on the fun...

Ok, looks like I am outnumbered here. been to thailand many times but last year first time for songkran in pattaya (I live there half the year) Had a ball. Yes we got soaked but we expected to. didnt even get out of our street before the local children ambushed us. walked around town for most of the day wearing only sandals tops and bathers. :o we never saw any aggro at all. everyone was having a good time, and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. went out each night after 6Pm (when the ban on water throwing started) and never got wet. saw cops warning quite a few people. will be back early march and I wont be heading out of town. by the way, my mate and I are 59 and 66 years old.

Ok, looks like I am outnumbered here. been to thailand many times but last year first time for songkran in pattaya (I live there half the year) Had a ball. Yes we got soaked but we expected to. didnt even get out of our street before the local children ambushed us. walked around town for most of the day wearing only sandals tops and bathers.  :o we never saw any aggro at all. everyone was having a good time, and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. went out each night after 6Pm (when the ban on water throwing started) and never got wet. saw cops warning quite a few people. will be back early march and I wont be heading out of town. by the way, my mate and I are 59 and 66 years old.

The problem in Pattaya is not the locals per se......it is the farangs who havent got a clue about it.

When I did the up country one, I joined in a traditional Songkran....that involved going to the temple and then the monks and elderly all lined up on chairs and we went down the line using a leaves to wet the feet of the monks and the elderly, some of which were surprised to see a farang joining in. After that it was a free for all but in fun....

everyone was having a good time, and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. went out each night after 6Pm (when the ban on water throwing started) and never got wet.

Thanks Biggles - that's what I needed (or would have liked to have heard). In Phnom Penh ot's one whole week that's horrid - whereabouts I live anyway.

I don't mind joining in the fun during the day when I'm in my beach clobber it is in the evenings when it would annoy me. If it does indeed die down after six I'll book the flight in the morning.

Edited by Sexy Beast

Why, you no love me ???????? Make-up no good, Ehhhhhhh ???????? :D

large.jpg:D

Ahhhhhhhh, I just got Copped !!!!!!!!!!

large.jpg:o

Boys will be Boys :D

large.jpg

Rainy Days :D

large.jpg

The Longest Wet “T” Shirt Competition in the World and :D to Thailand.

Happy Wet Days during this great time of the year. :D

Yours as always :D

Kan Win :D

P.S. :D

Songkraan is spoilt only by fat and fortyish falangs being idiots.

The thais generaly show repsect and smile and enjoy their week

The old falangs have this evil grimace as they squirt defenceless motorcycle riders in the face,and generaly behave lick the small minded dickheads they are.