Hiding From Songkran

girlx

against my better judgement i am in chiang mai for songkran. i have done many songkrans over the years- in isaan, pattaya, koh phangan, and twice on khao san road in bangkok. this is my first chiang mai one. to be honest, i love it but only for ONE day, not 5. i don't like being wet, and i am trying not to drink too much and take care of my health lately since i have been getting sick a lot. so not to be a party pooper but is it at all possible to avoid it here? is the only way going to be hiding out in my room all day? are there certain hours that are generally safe to go out and not get so drenched? if my boyfriend wasn't here i would have gone to koh phangan again this year but i am kinda stuck as he needs to work that week and i want to be with him.

If you don't want to get wet, stock up on food, drinks and DVD's and hole up in your room the whole time. Simple as that.

Last year I went out early one morning like 7:00 - before all the craziness began. I was out walking somewhere and thought I was safe when all of a sudden a group of soldiers driving by completely drenched me. There is no time to not get drenched!

Well, there's not much water throwing going on in the morning other than perhaps some kids, and then also the evenings tend to be civilized.

And you can do indoor things like see movies or shopping at airport plaza, or visit a hotel with a good pool, spa, massage..

Just bring some dry clothes just in case.

If you can afford it, maybe rent a room at a resort with lots of restaurants and places to walk, but no water throwing. The Lotus Hotel in back of the shopping mall would also be good with lots of restaurants, sports and work out activities as well as English TV.

If you can't afford a hotel, you could go to the central Duang Tawan Hotel early in the morning and get a day pass in the health club and spend all day swimming, using the gym, reading in the sun, watching TV in the lounge and eating on the terrace or in different restaurants. You don't have to get wet at all.

If you can afford it, maybe rent a room at a resort with lots of restaurants and places to walk, but no water throwing. The Lotus Hotel in back of the shopping mall would also be good with lots of restaurants, sports and work out activities as well as English TV.

If you can't afford a hotel, you could go to the central Duang Tawan Hotel early in the morning and get a day pass in the health club and spend all day swimming, using the gym, reading in the sun, watching TV in the lounge and eating on the terrace or in different restaurants. You don't have to get wet at all.

Excellent idea - my plan is to be at the gym at the Duang Tawan Hotel virtually every day so that I don't go stir-crazy at home.

In Phuket it lasts for one and a half days, no more. In Chiang Mai it's three days, Bangkok is closer to a week and Pattaya, well, how long is a piece of string! I'm happy to be in Phuket for the holidays.

you could go to the central Duang Tawan Hotel early in the morning and get a day pass in the health club and spend all day swimming, using the gym, reading in the sun, watching TV in the lounge and eating on the terrace or in different restaurants. You don't have to get wet at all.

that sounds good, thanks!

Hello, Why won't you spend time in Pai during Songkran festival or go to country side and stay in quiet guest house there for few days. Come back after finish Songkran and have wonderful life in Chiang Mai again. Or stay in the room, do meditation, do yoka, practice painting, I will do the same ...stay in my room,painting....listen to the music... sabaai sabaai ka

Hang out in the Nimmanhaemin area. Lots of art galleries, restaurants, pretty sois and nice people. Very little water throwing, and mostly the traditional type. If you are in Mooban Nanatawan, you will stay dry. I know. My wife and I live here.

When it starts to get dark there's not much water throwing going on - but just to be safe, avoid the Thaphae Gate area (with its over-zealous farangs) and anywhere around the moat.

Hanging out around Nimmanhaemin should be dry.

When it starts to get dark there's not much water throwing going on - but just to be safe, avoid the Thaphae Gate area (with its over-zealous farangs) and anywhere around the moat.

Hanging out around Nimmanhaemin should be dry.

Last year every time I was soaked after 6pm, it was by Thais, not farang.

In Phuket it lasts for one and a half days, no more. In Chiang Mai it's three days, Bangkok is closer to a week and Pattaya, well, how long is a piece of string! I'm happy to be in Phuket for the holidays.

Chiang Mai is way longer than three days.

You can look forward to a minimum of seven and quire possibly up to ten (particularly out in the suburb's)

Edited by john b good

Chiang Mai is way longer than three days.

You can look forward to a minimum of seven and quire possibly up to ten (particularly out in the suburb's)

You're making me glad we planned our Songkran escape trip to be two weeks long!

You think the water throwing in Chiang Mai lasts only three days? Foolish :o

against my better judgement i am in chiang mai for songkran. ... snip ...

Hi Khun GirlX,

I've found that Songkraan is a great time to visit Bangkok since half the people are gone back to Issarn or up-country for the holiday; I've experienced the weather there as better than Chiang Mai at Songkraan time, and I have found the lighter traffic very pleasant. A good time to bargain for antiques, also. Note, however, that during the years I visited Bangkok I was usually there on business and did not go near tourist areas where there was liable to be the usual water-sports.

Unfortunately this year I may be hiding out here.

~o:37;

if you read the first post damian you would see i have celebrated their new year many many times... and i do like it, at first. can't handle a week of it though. thanks for the tips everyone.

Hi Khun GirlX,

I've found that Songkraan is a great time to visit Bangkok since half the people are gone back to Issarn or up-country for the holiday; I've experienced the weather there as better than Chiang Mai at Songkraan time, and I have found the lighter traffic very pleasant. A good time to bargain for antiques, also. Note, however, that during the years I visited Bangkok I was usually there on business and did not go near tourist areas where there was liable to be the usual water-sports.

I went to BKK for Songkran once and it was a nightmare. Couldn't go out anywhere at night as the wetness continued into the early hours. At least you can go out clubbing in Chiangers without fear of a soaking.

Edited by Scrubber

This is my first Songkran. So when does the water throwing start in earnest? We have a tiny, tiny refrigerator and I want venture out to stock up with fresh veggies at the last moment. What would be the last day that I could walk to one of the traditional Thai fresh veggie markets (like Tanin or Warorot) without getting wet?

I've already laid in a good supply of beer, paper products and soft drinks, but it's hard to "stock up" on fresh ingredients more than a day or two in advance.

I love the suggestion to go out in your suitsuit! I'm sure the sight of me in my old-lady suitsuit with my varicose veined legs would be enough to bring the festivities to a halt!

You think the water throwing in Chiang Mai lasts only three days? Foolish :o

Well it certainly used to. I've only been gone from CM for two years now, have things really changed that much? It seems to me that the last year I was there the Governor publicly considered extending the water throwing to four days in order to help reduce airborne pollution. In prior years I was always impressed that the vast majority of people tended to abide by the three day rule and also the closure of water throwing activities around 6.0pm each day.

Damian5000 " Living in Thailand but don't want to celebrate their new year. " Yes I am sure most farangs are happy to celebrate their new year but not if it means getting drenched everytime they go out for four or five days.One day would be enough.

This is my first Songkran. So when does the water throwing start in earnest? We have a tiny, tiny refrigerator and I want venture out to stock up with fresh veggies at the last moment. What would be the last day that I could walk to one of the traditional Thai fresh veggie markets (like Tanin or Warorot) without getting wet?

I would say 10 April is the last safe day, to make sure, although 11 April in the morning would probably be OK. The first FULL day of water throwing would probably 12 or 13 April. Usually the day the police say is the last day of water throwing, really is (in the city of Chiang Mai). That would be either 15 or 16 April.

Remember that usually no one throws water till about 10 am, or so, so if you go to the market at 7 or 8 AM, you should be fine.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Was in Chiang Mai four years ago for Songkran and think that any other time of year would be a better time to be in the city. There were huge traffic jams everywhere and the few proper taxis they had then were charging exorbitant rates to go anywhere and often refused. The only alternative was getting soaked in open transport.

Hi Khun GirlX,

That's a great suggestion. I had not thought of it but your reasoning makes perfect sense. I can't this year, but next year I will plan on it.