25% Of Motorists Demanded To Pay Bribes To Traffic Police

george

One fourth motorists used to be demanded to pay bribe to traffic police: survey

BANGKOK: -- Twenty-five per cent of motorists in Bangkok and 11 other provinces used to be demanded to pay bribe by traffic polices manning road checkpoints, an opinion survey has found.

The survey was carried out among 2,228 people in Bangkok and 11 other provinces from March 26 to April 4 by Abac Poll of Assumption University.

The 11 others provinces are Ayutthaya, Chanthaburi, Surin, Ubon Ratchathani, Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Chiang Mai, Sukhothai, Ratchaburi, Nakhon Si Thammarat, and Songkhla.

The survey found that 25 per cent of respondents said they used to be asked by police manning road checkpoints to give them money for traffic offences in exchange for paying traffic fines to the stat. The rest of the respondents said they have never encountered such incident.

-- The Nation 2009-04-05

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the question should have been "how many have paid", as normally I have found that the police do not actually demand money if they stop you. They normally tell you what you have done wrong and then you have 2 options a)they take your licence and you have to report to the local police station to pay a fine or b)you pay the std 200Bahts to them direct and go your merry way.

Very few people want the hassle of going to the local police station so most pay.

However I find it rare now (especially in and around the bigger towns)that they actually "ask" you fo the money up front, few years ago a different story.

Agree with Robert44, if you do nothing wrong, you won't have to pay anything. And then, if you broke some traffic rules and you have issues with paying directly the police officer who stopped you, you've always the option to pay the regular fine.

The real tittle of this tread should be "75% of motorists are fine with traffic rules, have no problems whatsoever with traffic police and are just happy drivers" But that wouldn't make a successful thread...

Edited by Pierrot

On a trip from Bangkok to Sakon Nakhon I always get stopped about 4 to 6 times.

Starts at 200 baht to 100 baht then 20 baht and I NEVER pay.

Longest I've been kept is 50 minutes, average is 10 to 15 minutes and then just let go.

THE HIGHWAY ROBBERS OF THAILAND.

Agree with Robert44, if you do nothing wrong, you won't have to pay anything. And then, if you broke some traffic rules and you have issues with paying directly the police officer who stopped you, you've always the option to pay the regular fine.

The real tittle of this tread should be "75% of motorists are fine with traffic rules, have no problems whatsoever with traffic police and are just happy drivers" But that wouldn't make a successful thread...

Just remember, they police don’t really care about trafic law you break, they find any excuse to stop you and then get money from you

On a trip from Bangkok to Sakon Nakhon I always get stopped about 4 to 6 times.

Starts at 200 baht to 100 baht then 20 baht and I NEVER pay.

Longest I've been kept is 50 minutes, average is 10 to 15 minutes and then just let go.

THE HIGHWAY ROBBERS OF THAILAND.

I see these stories, but I don't understand how you can get stopped 4 to 6 times in a single trip. I've lived in Thailand 2 years, drive a lot, speed a lot, and have never been stopped. I get passed a lot while doing 120-130kph. Actually, I did get ticketed once for no helmet in Patong, in which the cop wrote the ticket right away. I didn't feel like the 'on the spot' payment was even an option. He wrote the ticket to Mr. "my first name only" then took my keys and I had to walk across town to pay the fine. Even at the dozens of checkpoints I've driven through only once have they actually talked to me, and that was a very nice chat with an older policeman who only asked where I was going and to drive safe. He didn't ask for my license, but I had gotten my Thai license that very same day and so I produced it just because I could. He was delighted! lol

So are you talking about 4 to 6 checkpoints or being stopped for traffic violations, real or imagined?

Last year, my wife and I went on a 24 day Road Trip, on our Honda Steed 400, while the Harley was in the shop, getting more chrome work done. We started out in Chiang Dao, rode up to Doi Mae Salong, Chiang Rai, Chiang Saen, then all the way along the Laos Border, down to Naan, then the main highway down to Lopburi, later over to Chanterbury, Trat, Koh Chang, then back up and over to Ubon Ratchatani, along the Border up to Nong Khai, then Loei and back to Chiang Mai.

http://chiangdao.org/13thpictures.htm

The Steed had only an invoice and no plates at all. We were stopped a couple of times, talked nice with the police and border patrols, but never got a ticket anywhere and never paid a bribe either. (even I was surprised)

Point is, a lot of time, it depends on peoples behavior, how the police will react.

(I wouldn't suggest riding without plates right now, as there is a big crackdown on invoices at the moment. I since sold the Steed and got legal plates for the Harley)

Like somebody already said, if you follow the law, you have nothing to worry about. They find enough people, who don't have their helmets on, are speeding beyond reason or are not wearing a seatbelt. They usually don't bother with people who follow the law.

In the truck, I've been stopped. They look at my registration sticker in the front window or sometimes ask for my drivers license and when they see a Thai drivers license, they just smile, talk very friendly and let me go. Speaking a little Thai goes a long way, too. How would you feel, if you were a cop in the US or Canada, stopped somebody and they didn't speak a word of English and didn't even try? The suggestion of not speaking Thai at all and hoping that they will wave you on, is a load of crap. Learn the language, if you live here and you will get along a lot better with everyone.

Right now, it's Songkran coming up. Police officers don't get paid much in this country, but want to enjoy the holidays, too. So you might see them out in full force, trying to collect a few bribes. Just pay them, if you choose to break the law. After all, they deserve a drink (and a mia noi) just as much as everyone else ;-)

Why gripe about a few baht, wenn most of us don't even have to pay taxes in this country, and if we do, they are usually very little. I consider bribes and tickets Road Tax and don't mind paying it.

If you don't want to contribute to the Songkran party fund, wear your helmets and seat belts, carry your valid drivers license and make sure your insurance and registration is paid up. Most likely, you will be fine. Beats Canada, where they pull your license, after you had two small beers or give you a $400 fine for going through a light, while it turns from yellow to red ;-)

Edited by kurtgruen

Just remember, they police don't really care about trafic law you break, they find any excuse to stop you and then get money from you

Sorry, but it seems most people agree with me here, if you do nothing wrong you don't have to worry about being stopped by the police. An other urban myth going down the drain ...

Pierrot,

I've been stopped for just a few things; going on an underpass (was just following Thais and didn't see the sign) and being in the 'wrong' lane. Now both are laws, but that second law is simply there to mess with motorcyclists. Therefore it's stupid.

Oh, and there was this one time when I was stopped on the back of a motorcycle taxi and they were checking for stolen bikes (it wasn't) but they nabbed the driver for not having a helmet. I had mine on but for some reason being the long nose in the situation I had to pay!

I have been stopped on my Duc in BKK a few times for various 'infringements' usually the left lane nonsense or because I'm on a big bike and they want to check all is legal.. For the left lane stuff I went to the station and paid on all three occaisions.. I was in the 'wrong' and don't want to encourage them by paying the cop directly (even if cheaper and more convienient) The other times I was sent on my way with a wave/smile once they saw everything was legal and I was a polite Thai speaking farang.

Here in Pattaya there are quite a few helmet/licence checking roadblocks every Month.. Once I've shown my Insurance/Licence etc I'm usually waved along.. If they are just after helmetless riders they usually don't even bother to stop me..

Same in my truck.. Driven all over Thailand in the last 10 years either alone or with a girlfriend.. Been pulled over once ( for an illegal U-turn) never been 'picked on' cos I'm a farang and never been 'hit up' for donations... Like another posted said.. I think it is all in you manner and attitude when stopped and speaking calmly and politely in Thai helps big time..

Just remember, they police don't really care about trafic law you break, they find any excuse to stop you and then get money from you

Sorry, but it seems most people agree with me here, if you do nothing wrong you don't have to worry about being stopped by the police. An other urban myth going down the drain ...

BS, obviously you don't drive a lot or do your driving in a village in nakhon nowhere.

I get pulled regularly here in BKK both driving a car and bike. Always without any valid cause, with car the most usual "offence" they claim is using wrong lane to turn, or cutting over several lines before turning left or right. With bike they always claim you were not into left lane.

Used to be 100 baht on the spot for years and when they started to give 50% of the official 400 baht ticket back to bib's they started to demand 200 baht on the spot. Lately been asked 500 baht as well. Sure you can get the ticket as well and go to police station to pay if you insist on it and are prepared to wait 30mins while they write it.

This is no urban myth it's part of the reality of living in Thailand. I sense you have either been very lucky or else you have not driven enough miles on the right roads to experience the problem.

I'm in the 75%, never had to pay a fine or a bribe. In the last 6 years I can only remember being stopped twice and then just a friendly chat and 1 of those times they didn't even want to look at documents, passport.

Totally agree with Kurt and Robert 44, they treat you depending on your behaviour and PLEASE where in the western world or cities like Hong Kong and Singapore, can you drive like here and IF caught, be charged fines (given directly to the police officer or the station in the next town) so dirt cheap.... so, why complain about the situation.

Ok! I agree in part that if you have done nothing wrong you don't have anything to worry about. But you can still be fined for a trumped up traffic offence like you were doing 100KPH and they said you were doing 120 when the Max speed limit is 110. Finds are very small so many of us and Thai's don't argue as they still have to get to there destination. Most BIB at check points are not looking for speeders rather who you have in the Vehicle,plus checking you have all the necessary paperwork.

Pierrot , tu deconnes ( you cannot be serious).

90% of Thai cops are corrupt, and yes I also know 1 or 2 who are clean good guys.

I cannot remember how many times those crooks at the expressway entrance on Petchaburi tried to stop me for no good reason.

I simply do not stop and give them the finger.

They understand and let me go.

Been here a long time and I don't usually pay bribes, but certainly have. I would guess, on average, about once a year. Of those, 2 were complete shake downs and the rest were the result of breaking a law (or so they told me I had broken a law).

Heh. Here's my story, yesterday went on a trip with wifey and the extended family. Borrowed a ute from an aunt and had about 4 people packed in the back. Anyways it seemed I put the wrong address into the GPS nav system. Ended up going to a factory with the same name as the place that I actually wanted to go to. Spent 2 hours getting there only to be sorely disppointed and embarrassed. Only then did it start to get very bad. The battery on the thing died and without the GPS we were totally lost. So while going around in circles for about an hour, one of the shatholes pulls me over and say I ran a red light. Um yea okay, I did go through some lights.... about 2kms back, and they could not have been any greener. So the guy asks if I had a license. I pull it out and hand it to him. I have to mention by the time all of this was going down I was already pretty freakin' stressed out of my mind having gone around and around feeling totally helpless trying to get everyone back home. If I hadn't been in that state I would have remembered to hand some red along with my license. But since I didn't the shathole wrote me up a ticket and took my license. So now I have to go across Bangkok in my free time to get it back.

An utter nightmare of a trip that couldn't have gotten any worse. Seiously makes me want to vomit thinking of the way these morons waste the time of and cheat people of so much money day after day.

Edited by momosan

LOL, i completely misread the headline, until about 3/4 of the way into the article, i was under the impression that 25% of motorist demanded to pay brides, as in they actually want to pay bribes to cops. I kept thinking "come one, surely there can't be people that actually prefer corrupt police over non-corrupt police?" :o

I think the question should have been "how many have paid", as normally I have found that the police do not actually demand money if they stop you. They normally tell you what you have done wrong and then you have 2 options a)they take your licence and you have to report to the local police station to pay a fine or b)you pay the std 200Bahts to them direct and go your merry way.

Very few people want the hassle of going to the local police station so most pay.

However I find it rare now (especially in and around the bigger towns)that they actually "ask" you fo the money up front, few years ago a different story.

Actually there is a third option, Make sure you have my wife in the passenger seat........... she normally tells me to drive past when the BIB wave me down, If I stop she gives me a hard time and then gets out and gives the poor old PC Plod a dressing down, It generally works, the poor old coppers on the bang-Na-Trad at the paybooth at bang na and again at the Port turn off pay booth now take one look at her and wave us through :o:D

'Like somebody already said, if you follow the law, you have nothing to worry about'

Ok i would normally agree with the above statement. BUT this is Thailand where the BIB have a tendency to make up the rules. Example going to Rayong one day i had my motorcycle securely tied down in the back of the pickup. so going through the pay gate at the expressway this arse in brown pulls me and sez ' you break law, not have cover on load' so i show him that the load is securely strapped down, not moving a mm (and all other parts are bolted to the bike <deleted>). then he say you not have side bar and cover, then shows me a picture. ok i say i not know, next time i get. he say no good . then the fuc=er sez also i speeding and in the wrong lane. i say not speeding and not in wrong lane(i was always pleasant, never raising my voice) so then he says 2,000 baht fine. then i'm like what the <deleted>=k. anyway settled on 500baht ................wanke_r

Lol - Interesting thread, I got stopped for the first time (after 4 years in Thailand) about 4 months ago for making an illegal right turn. Chatted the cop up with my thai, and offered a bribe and he refused! - Lol I couldn't believe it, he took my license and then said follow me to the traffic police station and I had to pay the 400BHT fine.

So there you go there are still some honest BIB around!

Cheers

Lithobid

i've only had 1 made up fine just to make money, he wanted 200 but we settled on 100. other than that, i've only been done for speeding, 90% of the trips to bkk on the highway are fine, no stops or anything, and driving up country i'd say the same rate. maybe hit for something 1 out of 10 times - usually self inflicted.

BS, obviously you don't drive a lot or do your driving in a village in nakhon nowhere.

I get pulled regularly here in BKK both driving a car and bike. Always without any valid cause, with car the most usual "offence" they claim is using wrong lane to turn, or cutting over several lines before turning left or right. With bike they always claim you were not into left lane.

Used to be 100 baht on the spot for years and when they started to give 50% of the official 400 baht ticket back to bib's they started to demand 200 baht on the spot. Lately been asked 500 baht as well. Sure you can get the ticket as well and go to police station to pay if you insist on it and are prepared to wait 30mins while they write it.

I agree this type of corruption is rife here. Worse at the end of the month though when the bosses in the office want their cut too. Surprised at Pierrot. I usually agree with him. His reasoning is usually well thought out on any topic and he stands his ground, producing evidence and sources. Perhaps he has just been lucky with his own experiences so far.

I am always bemused by those who write it hasn't happened to me, so therefore it never happens - despite the fact that far more people write of their personal experiences of being shaken down by the corrupt (or should I say, hungry and thirsty) pr1cks who put on brown uniforms and pretend to be law enforcement officers.

After the odd title from the news release, I could not get past the use of "...used to..." Formerly, but no more? Regularly, often?

Checkpoints near the borders, whole 'nother story. BKK and Pattaya, not really Thailand.

I spend lots of time on my bike in the left lane of the elevated freeway at 125 kph, passing police trucks. They never stop me. One fine of 200 baht in six years and 63,000 km in 5 provinces, for no helmet.

After the odd title from the news release, I could not get past the use of "...used to..." Formerly, but no more? Regularly, often?

Checkpoints near the borders, whole 'nother story. BKK and Pattaya, not really Thailand.

I spend lots of time on my bike in the left lane of the elevated freeway at 125 kph, passing police trucks. They never stop me. One fine of 200 baht in six years and 63,000 km in 5 provinces, for no helmet.

You are also saying that this does not happen at all in Thailand as you have not been stopped driving your scooter around somewhere in the jungle ? And even if it happens in Bangkok that does not count as it is not part of your real Thailand ?

Surprised to see so narrowminded post from you PB.

Just remember, they police don’t really care about trafic law you break, they find any excuse to stop you and then get money from you

Sorry, never had that problem. Have wife drive, have been stopped at a few roadblocks,

they are always very polite I even do not carry any ID or passport. Wife tells them I am her husband

and she has my last name on her drivers license. I live up North in Chiang Rai maybe some where else different.

I see that a lot of people have got different stories, and then let me tell you mine. I am driving a car in Bangkok for a year, on a daily basis and have never been stopped by Thai police. Personally, I would never complain about Thai road police because to me they look very mild doing their routine job directing the traffic in busy hours. I come from Eastern Europe and there the police is not a joke (they might fine you even if you have not done anything wrong, they might say without having any reason, just that your car was too dirty, or something like that). If you say that Thais are corrupted and aggressive you should have seen the police in other countries (Ukraine, Russia, Moldova etc...). They are nothing like Thai police, they are just hungry wolves set on hunting :o

Edited by Thunder26