How Many Wah In 1 Rai ? What Is The Going Price ?

dmax

hi,

im in the prcess of buying some land to build a home for my wife in kra nuen....there is 2 lots for sale...each lot is 5x10 wah so two lots is 10x20 wah...the lots are beside/on the road as far as i can gather,not a very busy main road just a normal road in a farming /villiage area......the thai people want 100-000 baht per lot 200-000 baht for the 2 lots together....is this a good enough price,,i think thais hear the word falang and they immedialtely ask triple the price.....so what is a reasonable price i should pay?? i also want to know how many metre is equivelent to 10x20 wah...the land is unprepared and only soil/paddy at present....

thanks guys

Edited by dmax

I looked back in my stuff from a while ago and found this information which may help you with areas but not I am sorry to say with prices as they vary so much across the country.

Land Measurements in Thailand

Land in Thailand is measured in talang wah, ngarn and rai.

1 talang wah = 4 square meters

100 talang wah = 1 ngarn or 400 square meters

1 rai = 4 ngarn or 1,600 square meters

In other words:

1 acre = 2.529 rai

1 hectare = 6 rai and 1 ngarn

First go back and re figure the 2 lots combined, if side by side the 2 will be 10wah by 10 wah. A lot 5 by 10 is enough for a small house, 2 small bedroom, 1 bath, no garden and house roof will be close to property boundary/wall. The moo Bans that sell lots of this size with house are in the 900,000 range for land and house, with water, electric and sewer line furnished. Your future house plans will enter into determining if 1 or 2 lots this size and their position to each other will satisfy you.

Never heard of wah expressed as length before. Normally declined as area. I.e. 4 sq metres = 1 talang wah.

To answer the OP's question: 400 talang wah per rai. As already stated, price would be area specific. Maybe this topic belongs on the property section? Might have more luck there.

Regards

10 x20 wah = 200 sq wah , so half Rai

20 x 40 metres = 800 Sq metres

That is equivalent to 400,000 Baht per Rai of agricultural land or over 1,000,000 baht for 1 acre. How much do you pay for agricultural land in Ireland? I know it's not quite the same as you are unlikely to be able to build a house on such land in Ireland.

But sounds too much to me.

Does the land have a full chanot (title deed)?

If it's paddy field, you will need to truck in soil to build up the level, check and find out how much that will cost you.

Prices differ area to area, so you will have to do research and then maybe offer half what you find out.

We've just been offered about one third of a Rai next to a road in a normal village for 80,000 Baht. This land is at the same level as the road, so no build up necessary. I'm considering buying it for the children, but will only offer 60,000.

Never pay what they ask, this society has always haggled, if you pay the asking price, you're an idiot.

Last year a farang I know bought some land for his wife, about one quarter Rai in a very nice location (for Thais), main village road, 1Km from main highway, No landfill necessary - 80,000 Baht.

loong, one quarter rai for 80,000 baht??? Thats a lot of green for that size. Where are you guys that land costs this much? Did it have water and sewer and electrical??? Paved road?

And the op is considering 1/2 rai at 300,000 baht?

I mean, really, I have always been told that the closer to a main road the more the price, have seen it priced and sold this way actually. Don't mean to criticise, but I just find some of the prices that farangs pay for land to be head scratchingly confounding. Ha.

Again, are you guys talking about locations that support these prices, using historical sales records. What location are you buying at?

loong, one quarter rai for 80,000 baht??? Thats a lot of green for that size. Where are you guys that land costs this much? Did it have water and sewer and electrical??? Paved road?

I mean, really, I have always been told that the closer to a main road the more the price, have seen it priced and sold this way actually. Don't mean to criticise, but I just find some of the prices that farangs pay for land to be head scratchingly confounding. Ha.

Again, are you guys talking about locations that support these prices, using historical sales records. What location are you buying at?

one quarter rai for 80,000 baht??? Thats a lot of green for that size. Where are you guys that land costs this much? Did it have water and sewer and electrical??? Paved road?

Sewer? you must be joking, everything else - yes

As I said is the main village road, one of the last plots of land available in a popular village just off the main highway and on the main village road.

A similar plot of land without Chanot would be about 25,000 to 35,000 Baht

The cheapest that I've heard of in recent years, nearly 1 rai, outskirts of village (above level of road, so no build up), no chanot, 35,000 Baht.

It makes a difference whether land is suitable for house building ie level of land, proximity of water and electricity.

I think that the OP has been offered half Rai at 200,000, not 300,000 and agree with you that this seems way too much, especially when the land will need so many trucks of soil to raise the level.

So what do you think is the average price for half Rai of land in a village?

one quarter rai for 80,000 baht??? Thats a lot of green for that size. Where are you guys that land costs this much? Did it have water and sewer and electrical??? Paved road?

As I said is the main village road, one of the last plots of land available in a popular village just off the main highway and on the main village road.

The cheapest that I've heard of in recent years, nearly 1 rai, outskirts of village (above level of road, so no build up), no chanot, 35,000 Baht.

It makes a difference whether land is suitable for house building ie level of land, proximity of water and electricity.

I think that the OP has been offered half Rai at 200,000, not 300,000 and agree with you that this seems way too much, especially when the land will need so many trucks of soil to raise the level.

My wife just sold a half rai in our village. It is off a concrete road with access to water and electricity. The selling price was 80,000 baht.

My wife just sold a half rai in our village. It is off a concrete road with access to water and electricity. The selling price was 80,000 baht.

Now this is good info, was it with chanot or head man's signature? This is what we need to hear some actual Thai/Thai transactions

Now this is good info, was it with chanot or head man's signature? This is what we need to hear some actual Thai/Thai transactions

It has a red seal chanote so there are no restrictions. We were able to buy another half rai plot directly beside the two rai we already have so that's why we sold. We paid 80,000 for the new plot. It also has a red seal chanote. The new plot is a little smaller at 180 talang wah.

hi,

im in the prcess of buying some land to build a home for my wife in kra nuen....there is 2 lots for sale...each lot is 5x10 wah so two lots is 10x20 wah...the lots are beside/on the road as far as i can gather,not a very busy main road just a normal road in a farming /villiage area......the thai people want 100-000 baht per lot 200-000 baht for the 2 lots together....is this a good enough price,,i think thais hear the word falang and they immedialtely ask triple the price.....so what is a reasonable price i should pay?? i also want to know how many metre is equivelent to 10x20 wah...the land is unprepared and only soil/paddy at present....

thanks guys

If you have two lots that are each 5x10 wah, then the two combined are either 10x10 wah or 5x20 wah (you only double one of the dimensions since the other dimension will remain fixed). As was stated earlier a wah is a linear measurement equal to 2 meters. A talang wah is an area measurement (I assume talang means "square") equal to 4 m2 (meters squared).

Thus the total area is going to be 100 talang wah or 400 m2 or 1/4 of a rai.

Each lot will be 50 talang wah or 200 m2 or 1/8 of a rai.

In my wife's village, a lot the size of 5x10 wah will go for no more than 100,000 baht. Personally, I think the price is too high, but it really depends on where it is.

10 x20 wah = 200 sq wah , so half Rai

20 x 40 metres = 800 Sq metres

That is equivalent to 400,000 Baht per Rai of agricultural land or over 1,000,000 baht for 1 acre. How much do you pay for agricultural land in Ireland? I know it's not quite the same as you are unlikely to be able to build a house on such land in Ireland.

But sounds too much to me.

Does the land have a full chanot (title deed)?

If it's paddy field, you will need to truck in soil to build up the level, check and find out how much that will cost you.

Prices differ area to area, so you will have to do research and then maybe offer half what you find out.

We've just been offered about one third of a Rai next to a road in a normal village for 80,000 Baht. This land is at the same level as the road, so no build up necessary. I'm considering buying it for the children, but will only offer 60,000.

Never pay what they ask, this society has always haggled, if you pay the asking price, you're an idiot.

Last year a farang I know bought some land for his wife, about one quarter Rai in a very nice location (for Thais), main village road, 1Km from main highway, No landfill necessary - 80,000 Baht.

It appears that some of the posts have been edited, making my post look a bit silly. I was working on the OP's original statement that the total area was 10 x 20 Wah.

So the total are is half of what I thought.

One quarter of a rai for 200,000 Baht, that's 800,000 Baht per Rai.

Way too much money in a Thai village. Your wife should know that.

Land is never more worth than somebody is willing to pay for it.

That say, it seems like the going rate for farm land with chanot is 100-200,000 baht/rai. Correct or not?

Robert

Land prices depend on whatever someone is willing to pay and the prices vary WIDELY. We have a ten rai plot that we spent a good bit of money improving. It is on a narrow dirt road and I'm not sure we could get 30,000 per rai. We have another ten rai plot that would likely be worth maybe 70,000 baht per rai. A lot depends on location, water and electricity.

My wife is VERY interested in a two rai plot that is near the irrigation system. It is on a poor dirt road that is likely impassable after a heavy rain. It has electricity and a good water source. The lady is asking 250,000 or 125,000 per rai. I told my wife that the price is insane but she insists it is a good price and that she is going to buy it. I told my wife that it is up to her but that she would NOT get any money from me. She has previously bought a one rai plot on a good road for 100,000 baht and ended up selling that one to her sister for the same price. I thought that was too much money. It would not be suitable for building a house without being built up several meters. In this area, water is VERY important.

Gary A, yes I was joking about the sewer!!! LOL. And the 300,000 vs 200,000 was a keystroke error, due to being in a hurry to make the post. (Posting at work)

I still don't know what area the OP is talking about, but it does seem like a lot. That being said I do realise that with real estate it is all about location, location, location. Maybe around Chiang Rai the land is less expensive than other places.

We have bought land for as little as 24K per rai and up to 65K per rai for farmland. Have even bought it on land contract and with headmans signature. The land office informed my wife that one of the plots is to be chanoted soon (after we bought it and had it for a year, so wasn't expecting the chanote).

I was ready to spring for 65k per rai on a 6 rai plot of farmed land, bisected by the concrete irragation canal and on the edge of the village, easy to get to, at end of concrete road. Turns out that the brother of the owner was handling the sale and there was a bank loan on it, not insurmountable probs but my wife said too much potential headaches there and nixed the deal. Might be less $$ for it now and the USD is up since then so who knows, might revisit the sale.

As far as village prices, I personally haven't bought any, but fellow expats have paid around 40k per rai for house land in the village, concrete road, electricity.

As you say, it is worth what is paid for it in the end.

thanks loong,,i will take that on board,,im inireland now also dont know much about buying land at all,,i know the thais put money up when they hear falang is buying ...im in ireland now so maybe its best to go to thailand to look at this land ,,trying to get any sense out of my wifes family is doing my head in....they cant give me proper measurements or pictures but they have said its too good an offer and the guy mite sell to someone else...

oh my good god!!! do you guys know wot my wife has just told me after i told her that the going rate for farm land is 100k -200k per rai,,,,she said her father sold all his land last month 45 rai for 600-000 baht !!! for fuk sake i cannot for the life of me get any sense out of this woman of mine at all....apparently the land was (long way) so i take it it wasnt near road,,she says it was used for sugar and something else but cannot grow kow(rice)....45 rai for 600,000 k.....he had chinote too apparently....sometimes my head hurts getting any sense around here...but thanks guys for ur posts..

oh my good god!!! do you guys know wot my wife has just told me after i told her that the going rate for farm land is 100k -200k per rai,,,,she said her father sold all his land last month 45 rai for 600-000 baht !!! for fuk sake i cannot for the life of me get any sense out of this woman of mine at all....apparently the land was (long way) so i take it it wasnt near road,,she says it was used for sugar and something else but cannot grow kow(rice)....45 rai for 600,000 k.....he had chinote too apparently....sometimes my head hurts getting any sense around here...but thanks guys for ur posts..

How interest! Your wife's family claims that the 2 lots in a farming village which total 1/4 of a rai selling for the price of 200,000 baht is a good deal. So that is a price of 800,000 baht per rai. Then your wife tells you her father sold 45 rai of farm land for 600,000 baht which is a price of 13,333 baht per rai. That is a significant difference in price per rai between the two types of land.

Just to give you some perspective, my wife bought some rubber tree land in Phatthalung about 4 years ago for 35,000 baht per rai. This land didn't have a normal land title, e.g. Chanot or Nor Sor Sam. She sold it two years ago for 50,000 baht per rai. Two years ago my wife bought a beach front property in Nakhon Si Thammarat for 750,000 baht per rai. The beach front land has access to water and power and on a dirt road scheduled to be paved - it may have already been paved by now. Compare these prices to the prices of the farm land and village lots you have described above.

I have a feeling your wife and her family will convince you to buy the 2 lots because in their view it is a deal too good to pass up. Besides, 200,000 baht for a farang isn't much money anyway. Isn't it?

Obviously, cost of land depends on so many factors, it's very difficult to generalise.

But 800,000 Bt per Rai in a Normal village sounds so over the top. If the family consider it such a great deal and will be snapped up by someone else, why not suggest that the Father buys it as an investment. He has 600,000 Baht now.

Obviously, cost of land depends on so many factors, it's very difficult to generalise.

But 800,000 Bt per Rai in a Normal village sounds so over the top. If the family consider it such a great deal and will be snapped up by someone else, why not suggest that the Father buys it as an investment. He has 600,000 Baht now.

I was actually thinking the same thing. The problem with the Father buying the land is that then the farang wouldn't be fulfilling is role as a walking ATM. :o

Sounds like a communication breakdown. I would not pay a farthing until I knew more facts. A lot more facts, photos, maybe personal inspection of the red seal chanote....and need I say, a personal inspection by the buyer? Otherwise, I have some swamp land to sell you in Shannon.... :o

I bought 2 rai of land a couple of years ago in our village for 120,000 per rai. It is paddy field (which I have now back filled ) 500 meter from the main road down a tarmaced soi (and then 120 meters of track which is due to be surfaced)  with water supply, electric supply 100 meters away.The price was not negotiable and in a meeting with the head man he pointed out that another similar plot had sold for 100,000 per rai 5 years earlier to a Thai. 

before buying this plot I was offered 6 rai  800 meters further on for 350,000 . My neighbour is now trying to sell her plot to me at 140,000 per rai although the wife says not to buy at more than 80,000. Shortly before I bought my plot my wifes neice bought a 1.5 rai plot on the main road for 800,000. My wife reckons her 12 rai of paddy which are far from the road (a good 15 minute bike ride across the bunds) is worth 35,000 per rai

Personally I think they just pluck a figure from the air (it would be interesting to get a bank valuation) and as has been said already it's worth what you are prepared to pay. I don't feel I was ripped off as a farang but I also don't think it was a bargain (80,000 was what I had hoped for) but it was just what I was looking for and the location suited us perfectly (10 minute walk from the current house and away from the noise of the main road) so compared to what you would pay in the UK for a plot with planning permission it was a snip !!

( all these plots mentioned are chanote tee din )

cheers J

Damx, I read somewhere that growing sugar cane on the land renders the land fairly worthless for other crops, so maybe that is why the selling price was low...lots of variables with land purchases...

For the past few years the land dept. though out Thailand have assessed a valuation on land as per the powers that be. Farm land near a hard surface road with other advantages (electric.etc) seems to be in the 100,00/rai range and the further you get from the highway, the lower the valuation. This info is available to the public upon request and can be used as a benchmark on prices, If you feel the land will fit your needs and are willing to pay more than the assessed value go for it. If you and/or you partner are not aware this service is available then pay what the market will bear.

good points made there lads,,much apreciated ! mmmmm maybe i should advertise on here to buy land inKHON KAEN...KRA NUEN area...anyone in the know???? would be interested in 1 rai roadside....

Personally I think they just pluck a figure from the air (it would be interesting to get a bank valuation) and as has been said already it's worth what you are prepared to pay

I think that you are right, and so many will not drop the price to a reasonable level.When I first came to this village just over 2 years ago, there were a few plots of land for sale. At the time, I thought that they seemed expensive for this area. They've had no interest at all yet the sellers now mostly want 50% more. That seems to be common in Thailand - if you can't sell it, increase the price!

The value of rice paddy should really be in ratio to yield per rai etc. Who in their right mind would pay 100,000 Baht for a plot of land and work it to show a profit of less than they can get interest in a bank. There are a lot of people trying to sell land that is rented out to farmers with an income equal to less than 1%.

Edited by loong

• 5 months later...
hi,

thanks guys

If you have two lots that are each 5x10 wah, then the two combined are either 10x10 wah or 5x20 wah (you only double one of the dimensions since the other dimension will remain fixed). As was stated earlier a wah is a linear measurement equal to 2 meters. A talang wah is an area measurement (I assume talang means "square") equal to 4 m2 (meters squared).

In my wife's village, a lot the size of 5x10 wah will go for no more than 100,000 baht. Personally, I think the price is too high, but it really depends on where it is.

I also assume talang means square. I checked on Thai-language.com and they have square as dtaaM raangMตาราง

The value of rice paddy should really be in ratio to yield per rai etc. Who in their right mind would pay 100,000 Baht for a plot of land and work it to show a profit of less than they can get interest in a bank. There are a lot of people trying to sell land that is rented out to farmers with an income equal to less than 1%.

In my village, no-one seems to have any idea what their yield is. If I ask "how many sacks from one rai", or even "how many sacks total", they don't know.

hi,

thanks guys

I also assume talang means square. I checked on Thai-language.com and they have square as dtaaM raangMตาราง

you assume correctly,, talang wah, talang met (metre) = square.

1 talang wah, 4 square metres (talang met).

1 rai, 400 talang wah, 1600 square (talang met) metres.