Where To Apply For Driving License

coming to chiang mai next week and i need to get my thai license. can anyone please tell me where to get it and how long does it take.

i cannot use my international license as i have a 4 month ban.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks

Edited by pattayaluvgod

coming to chiang mai next week and i need to get my thai license. can anyone please tell me where to get it and how long does it take.

thanks

The local licensing office, which also deals with car and motorbike licensing. You will need a current visa, confirmation of your address and a health certificate (to prove you are alive, obtainable from your local 7-11). Confirmation of your address can be from your embassy (translated) or better, from immigration.

It's on the CMai-Hang Dong road. Not far past Tesco's on the left and before the big junction. When you walk in through the main entrance, take a left up the stairs, and then visit the lady at the desk (behind the glass, not sat at the desk) first on the right. She'll give you all the instructions.

Go early. You'll need two photos for each license - there are photo places there (right at the back of the compound). Don't bother taking any you may have as they'll invariably be the wrong size. 100 baht for four.

Does your IDP cover a car and bike? Try using it anyway, you never know...

The full test involves the reaction tests - pressing pedals and recognising colours etc. Then watch a video in another room - farangs can sit at a pc and watch the VCD or just read the paperwork instead. Multiple choice covering about 20 questions. Have to get at least 15 right - you'll be told if you've passed or not within 5 minutes. Do the practical - round the cones etc, easy!

Car - 105 baht, bike - 55 baht.

Idf you have the IDP, you'll just do the reaction tests and receive the license(s) an hour later. 2 hours all-in. If you go the whole hog, figure on about 5 or 6 hours.

I thought you lived in Pattaya?

You started off asking this question in the Pattaya forum.

To apply for a driving licence you need a letter from Immigration to confirm your address.

You will only get that in the area where you live!!

Okay, so let's say after 25,000 kilometers of driving in northern Thailand, I finally want to get something besides my Texas driving license (which is still current and covers bike and car). I get an international license through the internet for about twenty bucks, right? Then I go to immigration and verify my address. What documentation do they need, besides that I've posted the same address the last ten times I entered the Kingdom? I could bring the last several monthly rent receipts in Thai and English; that's easy.

Then I go down to the license office and if I'm lucky, they only make me take two kinds of tests:

reaction time - no problem; I'm old but I'm not slow

depth perception and peripheral vision - I'll flunk.

Do they give those visual tests in Chiang Mai?

Good for you, ChangNoi1 - but other people in other provinces, including Chiang Mai I think, say that even if they were exempted from a driving test and a written test, they still have to take the reaction test and 1 or 2 depth perception tests (and maybe color blindness, too).

So is it just the roll of the dice? What happens if you get unlucky - would I be blackballed, or just told to come back when my depth perception improves? :D:o

To apply for a driving licence you need a letter from Immigration to confirm your address.

hi

i asked the question in both forums as i am in chiang mai for 10 days and then going to pattaya i wanted to know where to get them at both places then i could choose the best option.

sorry about the confusion.

hi

i asked the question in both forums as i am in chiang mai for 10 days and then going to pattaya i wanted to know where to get them at both places then i could choose the best option.

sorry about the confusion.

This applies to Bangkok....maybe it will be helpful;

THAI DRIVER'S LICENCES

The Department of Land Transport in Thailand is responsible for registration of motor vehicles and issuance of driver's and motorcycle licenses in Thailand. In order to apply for a Thai Driver's License, Americans will require the following:

• Completed application form (obtained at the Thai Driver’s License Office…it basically just asks for your name and address)

• A valid passport and copy

• Valid non-immigrant visa and copy

• American Driver's License and copy

• Doctor's certificate

• Two photos (1") and

• A declaration confirming residency in Thailand (from the American Embassy…$30)

• A fee of 105 Baht

• Copy of work permit may be requested (unless you are retired)

Application can be made at the Licensing Office in the applicant's district or contact the Department of Land and Transport main office. Note that all forms to be completed are written in Thai only, so an interpreter may be required. Once all application forms are completed a written examination (road signs, regulations, etc.) and a driving test will be administered unless the applicant has a valid international driver's license. Finally there is an eye exam (color recognition only) and the license will be issued.

Department of Land Transport

Driving License Sub-Division

1032 Phahonyothin Road (located near the weekend market)

Bangkok 10900

Hours: (Mon-Fri. 08:30 to 12:00 and 13:00 to 15:30)

Main operator, Tel: 02 272-5322, 02-272-5416

Car driver's license, Tel: 02-272-3614-6

Motorcycle driver's license, Tel: 02 272-3632

Registration of motorcycles, Tel: 02 272-5487-8

Registration of cars, Tel: 02 272-5493-5

thanks

I posted the previous message from something that I copied from the Internet. Let me amplify that with my personal experience:

I got my Thai driver's license last year: these are the steps (for Americans...but it is probably the same for most nationalities). If you are on a tourist visa you only need your IDL. If you have a non-immigrant visa you should get a Thai license as, otherwise, you might not have insurance coverage. The steps are pretty easy once you have the paperwork in hand (make copies before you arrive at the office). The doctor's certificate is quite easy to get...are you alive?

THAI DRIVER'S LICENCES

The Department of Land Transport in Thailand is responsible for registration of motor vehicles and issuance of driver's and motorcycle licenses in Thailand. In order to apply for a Thai Driver's License, Americans will require the following:

• Completed application form (obtained at the Thai Driver’s License Office…it basically just asks for your name and address)

• A valid passport and copy

• Valid non-immigrant visa and copy

• American Driver's License and copy

• Doctor's certificate

• Two photos (1") and

• A declaration confirming residency in Thailand (from the American Embassy…$30)

• A fee of 105 Baht

• Copy of work permit may be requested (unless you are retired)

Application can be made at the Licensing Office in the applicant's district or contact the Department of Land and Transport main office. Note that all forms to be completed are written in Thai only, so an interpreter may be required. Once all application forms are completed a written examination (road signs, regulations, etc.) and a driving test will be administered unless the applicant has a valid international driver's license. Finally there is an eye exam (color recognition only) and the license will be issued.

Department of Land Transport

Driving License Sub-Division

1032 Phahonyothin Road (located near the weekend market)

Bangkok 10900

Hours: (Mon-Fri. 08:30 to 12:00 and 13:00 to 15:30)

Main operator, Tel: 02 272-5322, 02-272-5416

Car driver's license, Tel: 02-272-3614-6

Motorcycle driver's license, Tel: 02 272-3632

Registration of motorcycles, Tel: 02 272-5487-8

Registration of cars, Tel: 02 272-5493-5

If you're only goin to Chiang Mai for 10 days, then you can't do the test in Chiang Mai.

The letter from the embassy is effectively a self-certification of your address. The letter from immigration would be suitable only if you've already extended your visa at immigration, and would be the for the address you gave them on your last 90 day address notification letter.

Also, you can only apply for a driving licence if you're in on a non-resident visa. If you're here on a tourist visa, I don't believe you can get one. (People are able to drive for the first 90 days in Thailand on their home country licence - with IDP where necessary. After that, people are expected to get a Thai licence, however, if you have an IDP, it's not a long process - I only had to do the colour blindness test - although take a Thai-speaker with you to ensure you join the right queues.)

If anything, Pattaya will be far more used to dealing with foreigners, so I would imagine doing a test would be less hassle there anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
If you're only goin to Chiang Mai for 10 days, then you can't do the test in Chiang Mai.

The letter from the embassy is effectively a self-certification of your address. The letter from immigration would be suitable only if you've already extended your visa at immigration, and would be the for the address you gave them on your last 90 day address notification letter.

Also, you can only apply for a driving licence if you're in on a non-resident visa. If you're here on a tourist visa, I don't believe you can get one. (People are able to drive for the first 90 days in Thailand on their home country licence - with IDP where necessary. After that, people are expected to get a Thai licence, however, if you have an IDP, it's not a long process - I only had to do the colour blindness test - although take a Thai-speaker with you to ensure you join the right queues.)

If anything, Pattaya will be far more used to dealing with foreigners, so I would imagine doing a test would be less hassle there anyway.

A Non-Immigrant Visa ( any category ) is a must.

If I carry a US passport would I have to present a US driver's license? My CA DL will expire in a couple of years but I have a UK license good until 2020. Can one apply for a Thai license with an expired US license?

I can only comment in so far as I have a current UK licence (valid 'till 2018). I do/did not have an IDP. I required documents mentioned above and took the colour blindness test. The one year license was issued in 40 minutes for a fee of Bht 105.00. Next time it will be five years validity I'm advised.

Do Thais need to take the colour blindness test?

Edited by jayenram

If I carry a US passport would I have to present a US driver's license? My CA DL will expire in a couple of years but I have a UK license good until 2020. Can one apply for a Thai license with an expired US license?

I can only comment in so far as I have a current UK licence (valid 'till 2018). I do/did not have an IDP. I required documents mentioned above and took the colour blindness test. The one year license was issued in 40 minutes for a fee of Bht 105.00. Next time it will be five years validity I'm advised.

Do Thais need to take the colour blindness test?

That is what the rules say ... but T i T Jaye :o

Would a bill sent to your address such as for telephone or internet be sufficient instead of the address confirming Embassy letter ??

No. They will only accept Letter from your embassy, or letter from your local immigration office.

I went today to the Transportation Bureau in Bangkok between Sukhumvit Sois 99 and 101 (across from Soi 62) to confirm specific requirements needed for a farang to receive a Thai DL. As usual, the info provided on this board was accurate.

The Thai officials at the Sukhumvit office did not speak or understand English. Because my understanding of Thai is not strong, I brought along a Thai friend to help.

3 officials at the office looked at my International Drivers License (the normal one issued by AAA in the USA), and all stated they had never seen one before (may curry haen)!!!. I was shocked they were not familiar with this document as even the police who have stopped me before usually are familar with these licenses. The Clerks also looked at my USA drivers license and one of them commented that there was no State named Tennessee! Even my Thai friend was confused by their antics.

Because I detest paying the USA embassy 1,200 baht for simply signing (without doing any verification) a Certificate of Residency (that I spend half a day going to the embassy and filling out myself), I asked the DL Clerks if they would accept a letter or certificate from the Thai Immigration Office. They pointed to the sign which said it must be a certified document from my country's embassy.

Sighhh.

Maybe I'll try the Phonoyothin bureau near Mor Chit, and see if they are easier to work with.

Wish me luck. I'll post an update on my continued efforts.

Good luck. But it is a lotta effort to save 1200 baht  :o

I didn't mind paying 1200 baht if there were some value or effort made on the part of the Embassy. However, getting the notarized certification of residency involved 2 trips (due to an equipment malfunction preventing the Embassy from issuing cash receipts) and 3 hours waiting in the Embassy due to inefficiencies on their part. All this for simply signing a piece of paper in which they do no checking or verification; IMHO, an exercise that provides no value.

Anyway, I did obtain the Certificate of Residency from the Embassy, and this time went to the Land Transport Office on PhanonYothin Road, just south of the Mor Chit Skytrain station.

The Thai officials at this office told me they have farangs apply for licenses every day, and I saw at least 4 others while I was there. Took about 2 hours there to submit the documents, and take the required 4 tests (identify colors, accelerator/brake reflexes, depth perception, and peripheral vision).

They made extra efforts to assist the farangs in submitting the paperwork and explaning the tests, but having a Thai speaking friend accompany you is highly recommended. Also recommend avoiding the touts hanging around the entrance of the office complex who offer to help you for a 2,000+ baht fee.

Anyway, I now have a Thai drivers license for cars and motorcycles.

Much appreciation for the information provided in this forum.