Fishing In Pattaya

QED

Hi,

I have some friends coming over from the UK who are keen fishermen and want to get a few days fishing in. As I find paint drying slightly more interesting than fishing, I need some help to organise a couple of days for them. They are only in Pattaya for about a week as they are travelling around, so I suggested 1 day in a park/ lake, and 1 day on a boat trip which they liked the idea of.

So can anyone give me suggestions as to where to go please. I know there are loads of lakes in and around Pattaya, and I know from previous conversations (which I wish I had paid attention to) that some are really bad and some great. Likewise with boat trips - I did one once and it was possibly the worst 10 hours of my life.

If you know from experience where to go please chip in. As usual my organisation is top notch - they arrive tomorrow! But they have a trip to Kanchanaburi so will be fishing towards the end of the week.

Many thanks

QED.

Go to Ryans Bar on Pattaya Naklua Road, just before Soi 18 (Wongamat) they do fishing trip usually once a week.

Fishing Park - try the one at the Bungy Jump at Jomtien - looks good.

LOL I play pool for Ryan's, never thought to ask about fishing though. I am playing tomorrow so will check it out. As my friends are staying in Dusit Thani it would be quite convenient.

Great idea about the Bungee Jump, at least I will have something to look at whilst the boring old men are fishing :o

The Dive centre come fishing tackle shop near Bali Hai pier does day trips , Check there website for info pattayafishing.com

Thanks partyguy, I checked the website but it seems they only want a full charter (at 18,000 baht). I will go and speak to them and see what they can do.

Go to Ryans Bar on Pattaya Naklua Road, just before Soi 18 (Wongamat) they do fishing trip usually once a week.

Fishing Park - try the one at the Bungy Jump at Jomtien - looks good.

LOL I play pool for Ryan's, never thought to ask about fishing though. I am playing tomorrow so will check it out. As my friends are staying in Dusit Thani it would be quite convenient.

Great idea about the Bungee Jump, at least I will have something to look at whilst the boring old men are fishing :o

While you are in there have a Chang for me - and tell Steve I will be back at the end of the month (tell him it's Dave's friend)

I can arrange day fishing trips around Koh Lan Island area. (usually Fridays)

Boat with Thai Skipper, boat big enough for say 6-8 persons fishing. (with toliet)

Lunch of Fried Rice, Omeltte and fish.

Cold drinkintg water supplied, anything else you bring yourself.

Cost 4200 Baht, leaving at 8.30am return by 5pm

HOWEVER....you bring your own kit, ie rod reel etc (or use hand lines supplied)

I should point out that you will catch many fish....BUT not very big.

Message me if interested...(I don't do this as a biusiness, merely introduce you to the boat, hence why low price)

The Dive centre come fishing tackle shop near Bali Hai pier does day trips , Check there website for info pattayafishing.com

Thanks partyguy, I checked the website but it seems they only want a full charter (at 18,000 baht). I will go and speak to them and see what they can do.

Edited by Pdavies99

Got a yen for fishing some years ago, bought all the rods and tackle, read the book, got the tide tables.

Fished off the beach from Koh si Chang to Koh Chang, really relaxing but caught ONE fish and that was only a few hundred grams. Then saw that the sea was generally netted virtually everywhere about 100 metres offshore.

So..take to the boats, Had an excellent day, (swim lunch etc) with a Dutch place (not there now)..caught a box load of very small fish. Next step..go with the serious guys (Germans) on a boat from somewhere near Sattahip, drove thro appalling slums. No-one caught anything. the lunch was a styrofoam box of cold rice.

Another try, small boat along beach road, only about 1200 baht..went twice..caight nothing. Don't see them now, I think the 6000 baht/ few hours power boats have chased them off,

So...on to the fishing parks, caught nothing but had my hearing damaged by the wardrobe sized speakers.

So if your friends just like a days fishing and not care about catching anything then it's fine by my experience. There are sometimes pix of guys with huge fish in the paper..but....don't know.

If you do catch anything please let me know

Edited by desertrat

I was in Pats for 3 days in January so did not have much time to get into fishing but did have succes with the following.

Soi 3 on 3rd rd. This is a small lake within a nice and scenic restaurant where you can sit, have a beer and catch catfish to about 4k on light gear - quite good fun but not for serious fisherpersons. Good if you have a boored wife/girlfriend in tow.

Jomtien Fishing Park - Far end of soi 14 - get a Baht bus to the end of the line and then walk.

This is much better with a lot of fish - average 10-20k. Typical park fishing with shelter and food/drinks etc. Quite good fun. The best spot is at the far end - as far away from the kiosk as possible and cast into the far left corner. "Sid" is the main man there and a character. Budget on about 1000Bht each for a days fishing and a few drinks and food should be about right. Food was not bad either.

Both sites have everything for hire and full fascilities.

Jomtien used to have a bungee jump but that has now been removed and the lake made a little smaller.

There are other freshwater fishing lakes - country club? But I did not have transport so could not explore more at the time.

Hope this is of use.

Got a yen for fishing some years ago, bought all the rods and tackle, read the book, got the tide tables.

Fished off the beach from Koh si Chang to Koh Chang, really relaxing but caught ONE fish and that was only a few hundred grams. Then saw that the sea was generally netted virtually everywhere about 100 metres offshore.

So..take to the boats, Had an excellent day, (swim lunch etc) with a Dutch place (not there now)..caught a box load of very small fish. Next step..go with the serious guys (Germans) on a boat from somewhere near Sattahip, drove thro appalling slums. No-one caught anything. the lunch was a styrofoam box of cold rice.

Another try, small boat along beach road, only about 1200 baht..went twice..caight nothing. Don't see them now, I think the 6000 baht/ few hours power boats have chased them off,

So...on to the fishing parks, caught nothing but had my hearing damaged by the wardrobe sized speakers.

So if your friends just like a days fishing and not care about catching anything then it's fine by my experience. There are sometimes pix of guys with huge fish in the paper..but....don't know.

If you do catch anything please let me know

Typical answer, you try a couple of times and then give up and then go back to watching TV.

On the fishing boats, you can catch plenty of fish, have a great day out with a reasonable lunch and have no music etc but like everything there are good catch days and not so good..I admit the fish in general are not so big, but its nice to give them to the locals who love eating them etc, all this for about 600 baht. (ps the boats that offer swimming etc are just tourist jolly day out boats!!)

Have a nice day :o

Edited by Pdavies99

I was in Pats for 3 days in January so did not have much time to get into fishing but did have succes with the following........

Thanks, very useful post. I would like to try the Jomtien park, but have problems getting there from Pattaya over the next few days with the ASEAN conference - will probably have to settle for 3rd road.

I take a few friends out now and again.

I Keep my boat down in Koh Chang.

The boat is available for private charter for up to 8 people if anybody is interested :o

Thanks Gaza, looks very nice, but a bit far away for a day trip.