Vigo Vs D-max Vs Triton

I've been looking for a pick up for sometime and am having trouble deciding. Safety, handling and fuel economy are important. Has anyone read a review comparing these models? I don't want one of the raised models, the normal height is fine.

Triton seems to come up best on safety and handling, however it only has a single air bag. It's engine is economical enough, while still having decent power. Resale value is poor.

D-max is good on fuel, but the 2.5 isn't that powerful. It's handling is OK and it's resale very good. Overall safety isn't that great.

Vigo 2.5 turbo has heaps of power, but is thirsty. The resale value is very good, but safety and handling are poor. The mini-doors on the extra cab are great, but the interior isn't.

I'm leaning towards the Triton, however the problem with this model is poor resale value, so buying a good second hand one could be an option. Any websites for second hand cars? I'd be looking to buy from an individual as I don't trust dealers.

I have a D-Max Highlander 4 cab 2WD 3.0L auto which is the higher up version, just to let you know.

The D-Max is easier to drive and handles better than the Vigo.

The Vigo auto box may be just a little better than the D-Max but the D-Max is ok.

Tyres on non raised Vigos are stupidly thin.

Non raised Vigos look stupid.

The raised Vigo Prerunner does not have an auto option.

Screwing with the height and suspension invalidates your warranty as could changing wheels.

The Triton will never have a good resale value. Toyota and Isuzu will win that forever.

There is not too much in power or economy between the Isuzu and the Vigo.

The Isuzu has dual front airbags. The Vigo has only one.

I bought the Isuzu because it was a better buy. I had hired both that and the Vigo beforehand to test at length. If not going 4*4 then I'd buy the Isuzu 4 cab auto with the 3.0L VGS engine.

^ Thanks, I've also hired both the Vigo, and DMax and prefer the latter.

Overall the Triton seems very good, the only advantages the Isuzu has is better resale and dual air bags. It would be good to read a comparison of the two, as you will find most ppl who own each model are happy with them.

I don't think the Isuzu comes in a 3.0 non-raised 2 door version?

Hi :o

I went for the Isuzu D-Max Platinum series, 3.0 Auto, non-raised (SLX) space-cab. It does Bangkok-Chiang Mai with three people in the cab and half a ton of stuff on the bed going 120 km/h nearly non-stop (two toilet breaks) and an additional 60 kilometers around town there on 60 liters (it has a 75 liters tank and i filled 60 liters, actually 59. something.

The way back (empty bed) was done in the same manner and we reached Bangkok still almost half full. It's a VERY economic truck.

Also the 3.0 Auto has quite some punch when needed - overtaking is no issue, neither is getting off the lights. Handling (full and empty) is just great in my opinion (truck is 100% stock). Haven't tried the top speed yet, but at 150 it doesn't feel tired at all, also doesn't become loud (!) at all.

Before buying this one we (me and my boyfriend) were discussing "Toyota vs. Isuzu" at great length, but Toyota simply doesn't offer what we wanted - a space-cab with 3.0 engine and automatic. Toyota for some reason gives auto 'boxes only with either four-door or 4WD.

Also a (non-raised) Vigo comes with 15" wheels/tyres that look plain silly on that truck, and to swap them with 16" ones the hubs have to be swapped as well (15" = 5 bolts, 16" = 6 bolts!) making that operation quite expensive, and - even when done by Toyota - this will void the warranty! Isuzu (non-raised) comes with 15" as well, however they look so much better and if one wants to swap - no issue, identical hubs, no warranty problem and you can actually get the larger ones as one of the "freebies" when buying the truck (we went for genuine leather interior instead).

Another point - depending on dealer obviously, but Isuzu throws in quite a number of mentioned freebies while Toyota at best offers a bed liner and tinted windows. We got (from Isuzu Nakornluang, Udomsuk, no advertisement but i'm happy with them!) said bed liner and tinted windows (with a choice of films!), wind breaker for the hood, wind breakers for all four windows, wheel well liners all around, alarm system with remote, spare wheel lock, pedal-lock, rear seat, side steps and a full leather interior (both front seats, rear seat, door panels, gear shifter, steering wheel and the top of the small storage compartment between the front seats). Instead of the leather stuff we could have gotten 16" wheels and a body kit that would make it look like the raised one, without being raised. Also the first year free inspections (just did the first one, 5,000 km, today and paid 10 Baht, yes TEN Baht for a small issue not included in the regular inspection) and 3x free wash/wax/coating at a company down Bangna-Trat who do an excellent job at it (AJ).

Hehe and should you ever break down, i believe even the smallest village up-country has am Isuzu-dealer/garage that can help you.

Kind regards.....

Thanh

Edited by Thanh-BKK

^ This is the model I'm considering, except in manual. What was the price you paid? There's a fair price difference between the 2.5 and 3.0. We hired a 2.5 (06 model), excellent fuel economy, but a little gutless.

The 3.0 Isuzu is the VGS engine and worth it.

Unless you need a longer bed, as Thanh-BKK did, I would not hesitate in getting the 4 door. Proper back seats you can actually go for a drive sitting in, not just a glorified plank of wood.

As for raised or non raised, I have no answer. Depends upon what you want and where you drive. 2/4WD is not the same argument.

I would get the auto for sure. Just so so so much easier.

Two door pick-ups are taxed as commercial vehicles and it is against the law to carry passengers in the rear- doh!- that's why there is a bench seat in the rear. Though just about any local you will see will fit about as many of the family in the back-, same as 4 people on a motor-cycle seat scenario.

As for the comments on small wheels/tyres on a non raised pick up !- strewth, do you think most locals are thinking about that when they are buying a pickup for hammering down to Bangkok with a full load of fruit/veg every day of the week. Those non raised pickups are the work horses for many rural Thai families/businesses.

That why all the main manufacturers have these models.

For foreigners posing about in the local Tesco/Big C car parks then a Highlander or Pre-runner appears to be the favourite models, from what I have seen in ours anyway!!

Edited by phutoie2

Hi.

I paid 702,000 Baht (actually 200k down, the rest financed for 5 years). And no, it is NOT the VGS engine.... with 3.0 you got two choices still, the VGS or the normal one (Ddi i-TEQ). It's a commonrail with intercooler but got less horsepower than the VGS, but the VGS again is not offered in the non-raised variant (and together with automatic only in the four-door).

Also the rear seat in my D-Max is far more than a "glorified plank of wood", actually one can sit there rather comfy. But normally nobody sits there - as me and boyfriend are two only, very rarely someone else comes along, so why pay something like 6,500 Baht tax for the four-door when we can drive for 1,500 and get larger cargo space to boot? Just recently i hauled a large fridge which did "just" fit on mine, it would not have fitted on a four-door's bed without keeping the tail gate open (and having to secure the fridge with rope, something that's not always available just when needed).

Kind regards....

Thanh

Yeah but Thanh, you specifically wanted the longer bed for his bike I remember (or don't :D ) when you went through your discussion a few months ago.

As for the tax being an extra 5k a year or Bt100 a week, are we being serious here about someone buying a 2 door against a 4 door for Bt100 a week ? Come on :o

I also hauled a fridge and a washing machine in the back of my 4 door Isuzu. All of 60km as well. Fridges are not supposed to "sit down" but rather stand up and yes we did have ropes (always have them in the truck) and that plastic string stuff.

I take back the glorified plank of wood but it is nearer to a plank of wood than the seats in a 4 cab I think.

Either way, horses for courses. You and your partner had a specific requirement. Fro what I can see, the OP doesn't and if not, then I reckon you get greater flexibility with the 4 door though you do have to pay for it and pa extra tax for it :D

Hi :o

Yes, that is correct, my bike (not his, he doesn't have one while i got three meanwhile) has to fit on there with the gate closed. And about this particular fridge, well one of my colleagues had moved from a house that was close to collapsing into an apartment and there was a fridge already so he "donated" his old one for the office. That thing is one of those that you see in shops, "Coca Cola", about 6 feet tall with glass door, you need four guys to carry that thing (industrial strength fridge, also sounds like powered by a V8!)

No way to transport that upright, it's not made for that either (rubber feet on the back to rest it on!) and way too heavy to secure with those rubber-string-hook things that i have in the truck (i got no rope! Never needed any.... but then never hauled a fridge before).

And regarding the tax, 100 Baht per week don't hurt but 6,500 in one go DO hurt, me at least. Specially if it's for something like "tax", money that's simply gone without me having anything for it. Two guys don't need four doors, and if one of them is an enthusiast for old-ish bikes they need a larger cargo bed, hence the space-cab truck. And it looks good, too :D

Love my D-Max.

Kind regards.....

Thanh

Thanks for the replies, I definitely want a 2 door extra cab, not the 4 door version. Regarding the raised version, the only reason I can see for this on a 2WD is appearance, however it makes handling worse, visibility worse and difficult to get ppl/stuff in and out of. So I don't want the raised version.

Does anyone have a Triton? While I will be using the PU to carry stuff, it's not a work car. The Triton seems like the best handling and safest of all the models, the Isuzu doesn't do that well on safety and the Vigo is really poor. Considering how crazy the roads are here, safety is very important.

Considering they don't have great resale value, I was thinking about a second hand one, however checking on the net most seem to be sold by dealers which makes me wary.

Not sure how being higher means less visibility ?

Can't say about handling in the Triton as I didn't test it and it wasn't on my radar.

As for getting people in and out, I find it easy for adults and the baby in the rear seat baby seat (not only wanted 4 door but needed one !).

Driving in Pattaya and through the floods which hit every year and can be way high in places, the extra ground clearance is a benefit as it is for driving on non tarmac roads. At speed, it feels very secure.

hi

i dont want to buy a vigo since we will buy a fortuna soon and dont want to give toyota any more money due to the lack of competition in the thai auto market! everything is either a toyota, isuzu, nissan or honda - and im not a relative of thaksin to be able to afford a bmw, audi or mercedes here. in europe choice and competition wouldnt be an issue. thats probably why all the vehicles look so bland here, no competition so they dont need to improve.

anyhow, i digress! have been looking on the isuzu website but the specs are mostly in thai language and not english. does anyone own the cab 4 LS version 4x4? whats the horse power on this? i dont understand when people say raised and not raised? i thought if its raised or not would just depend on the model number, its not like an option you can ask for on any model? i definitely want a high ground clearance one and 4wd. is the platinum version sat nav enabled?

thanks

CT

• 2 months later...
I've been looking for a pick up for sometime and am having trouble deciding. Safety, handling and fuel economy are important. Has anyone read a review comparing these models? I don't want one of the raised models, the normal height is fine.

Triton seems to come up best on safety and handling, however it only has a single air bag. It's engine is economical enough, while still having decent power. Resale value is poor.

D-max is good on fuel, but the 2.5 isn't that powerful. It's handling is OK and it's resale very good. Overall safety isn't that great.

Vigo 2.5 turbo has heaps of power, but is thirsty. The resale value is very good, but safety and handling are poor. The mini-doors on the extra cab are great, but the interior isn't.

I'm leaning towards the Triton, however the problem with this model is poor resale value, so buying a good second hand one could be an option. Any websites for second hand cars? I'd be looking to buy from an individual as I don't trust dealers.

Hello, I am new on Thaivisa. I live in the south of Thailand near Phatthalung. I am finding these DMAX forums very helpful. I have just returned from the ISUZU and TOYOTA showrooms this morning.

I have decided on buying a DMAX Cab 4 but have some questions about fuel economy. If anyone can help I would be grateful.

First is, how does the fuel economy differ for the 2.5 and 3.0 liter engines ?

Second is, how does the fuel economy differ for the standard height Cab 4 and the Hi-lander Cab 4? I am assuming that the Hi-Lander is heavier, has wider tyres and has more air resistance. This must make fuel economy less.

I can see that the only advantage of the Hi-Lander is better visability. The only advantage of the 3.0 liter engine is more power ? Is that more power worth the extra cost ?

Thank you for your help.

2 door pickups with illegal rear seat, non hiriders.

Tritons body has performed best in the crash tests I v seen

D max body is weak in crash, but with 2 airbags may protect better in crash.

Vigos body protects better than D Max, but only single airbag is not acceptable.

Fuel economy shouldnt be much different with 2,5 manual.

Handling similar for non-hiriders.

Nissan Navara with 2 airbags (new software since late 2008) would be my choice when considering crashsafety, and handling is slightly better than all above. Breaks with the standard 16 inch wheels better than all above.

hi

i dont want to buy a vigo since we will buy a fortuna soon and dont want to give toyota any more money due to the lack of competition in the thai auto market! everything is either a toyota, isuzu, nissan or honda - and im not a relative of thaksin to be able to afford a bmw, audi or mercedes here. in europe choice and competition wouldnt be an issue. thats probably why all the vehicles look so bland here, no competition so they dont need to improve.

anyhow, i digress! have been looking on the isuzu website but the specs are mostly in thai language and not english. does anyone own the cab 4 LS version 4x4? whats the horse power on this? i dont understand when people say raised and not raised? i thought if its raised or not would just depend on the model number, its not like an option you can ask for on any model? i definitely want a high ground clearance one and 4wd. is the platinum version sat nav enabled?

thanks

CT

You may get some answers in english from the Isuzu.uk website (D Max is called Rodeo there BTW)

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up buying a Hi-lander 2.5 4 door in the end. I test drove both the SLX 4 door and the Hi-lander 4 door.

The Hi-lander won hands down for me. Chuffed with it. A really beautiful drive.

I also test drove the Toyota G 4 door 2.5 but for me the Hi-lander was just so comfortable.

Heres all ya need.

Isuzu Dmax Models & Specs

Toyota Hilux Vigo Models & Specs

Mitsubish Triton Models & Specs

In addition D-MAX 3.0 VGS has a newer auto gearbox than the 3.0itec model and bigger brakes. (Disc diameter and caliper size)

Also IMHO Toyota brakes are rubbish and tiny compared with the Isuzu counterparts regardless of model. Also IMHO Isuzu general handling, stability and cornering are superior to Toyota's.

Heres all ya need.

Isuzu Dmax Models & Specs

Toyota Hilux Vigo Models & Specs

Mitsubish Triton Models & Specs

In addition D-MAX 3.0 VGS has a newer auto gearbox than the 3.0itec model and bigger brakes. (Disc diameter and caliper size)

Also IMHO Toyota brakes are rubbish and tiny compared with the Isuzu counterparts regardless of model. Also IMHO Isuzu general handling, stability and cornering are superior to Toyota's.

I guess you v missed Vigo/Fortuner facelift late 2008 with larger brakes for all models making them larger and more effective than Isu.

Not to mention Isu old 3 sensor ABS, giving it very long stoppingdistance

Vigo and Nissan Navara has now the best brakes in LOS pickups.

Just saw this on a Swedish Youtube, its the Famous "Moose test" where the cars are tested by simulating avoiding a chrash with a Moose, or any other suddenly appearing objects.

The test on the film is done in 57km/h, the first car is a Mitsubishi Triton pick up, the second is a Toyota Hilux...

The Hilux was taken off sales in Sweden after this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZF8N9NItHI. Delete the fullstop

Just to let you know.

Tommy

Edited by 63Tommy1

Just to let YOU know, there was a long running thread here about this year old test.

One thing I remember is that the euro spec Triton that passed that test was equipped with stability control that is not available here. Also, as mentioned earlier, Vigo had an update here last year, and now it's the only truck with ESC available in Thailand.

Just saw this on a Swedish Youtube, its the Famous "Moose test" where the cars are tested by simulating avoiding a chrash with a Moose, or any other suddenly appearing objects.

The test on the film is done in 57km/h, the first car is a Mitsubishi Triton pick up, the second is a Toyota Hilux...

The Hilux was taken off sales in Sweden after this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZF8N9NItHI. Delete the fullstop

Just to let you know.

Tommy

That was the old Vigo, pre november 2008. Vigo is now the only LOS pickup with stabilitycontrol available in LOS and thus the one with best traction in a moose test.