Which Visa?

Sa Wa Dee Krub,

I am planning to find a engineering job in Thailand. In term of visa, I am not sure which visa to apply if I am searching a job there. Is it true that i can only apply for a tourist visa or is there any visa i can obtain? :o

For the work permit wise, is it the company's responsiblity to apply for me or i have to apply for my own? :D

Here my particulars:

Born in Singapore

28 years old

Male

Sa Wa Dee Krub,

I am planning to find a engineering job in Thailand. In term of visa, I am not sure which visa to apply if I am searching a job there. Is it true that i can only apply for a tourist visa or is there any visa i can obtain?  :o

For the work permit wise, is it the company's responsiblity to apply for me or i have to apply for my own?  :D

Here my particulars:

Born in Singapore

28 years old

Male

If you don't have a job lined up, you can't apply for a non-imm "B" visa yet.

If you're married to a Thai, you could apply for a non-imm "O" visa.

You could try asking the Thai embassy in Singapore if they'd be willing to issue a non-imm "O" visa to you. (on the basis of studying Thai language or whatever), but that is a bit of a grey area. Otherwise you'd have to enter on a tourist visa, then leave and apply for a non-imm "B" visa once you've found a job.

Any non-imm visa can be changed at immigration in Bangkok to the appropriate type once you have the job. Have a search on the site to confirm if a tourist visa can be changed. - the 30 day on arrival stamp if you don't apply for any visa definitely cannot be changed.

As for the work permit. It varies. I believe most big companies are liable to help organise it for you. (i.e. one with an HR dept, or BoI approval.), but smaller companies may require you to get the work permit yourself...

If you don't have a job lined up, you can't apply for a non-imm "B" visa yet.

I'm certainly no expert, but I had no problem getting a one year multi-entry non-imm "B" visa (no job offer etc) on the basis of looking around for business opportunities.

This was from the Hull consulate in UK who, admittedly, seem to have a reputation for being "easy" - and I've seen posts on here which suggest that many if not all of the Asian consular offices are much stickier about it. But my experience also suggests that it may be worth pursuing the "B" if that turns out to be better for you. There are many posts on this subject - just do a search - or perhaps Lopburi3 and/or other wiser heads than mine will complete the picture (no offence bkk_mike!).

Come on a tourist visa whilst you are job hunting.

That will give your 2 month (60 days) and can be extended for an additional 30 days.

To land a job here you have to show that you have skills/experience that cannot be found in the local market,

much the same as Singapore.

I hope you can meet those criteria.

A good grasp of Thai language will also be a valuable attribute.

Come on a tourist visa whilst you are job hunting.

That will give your 2 month (60 days) and can be extended for an additional 30 days.

To land a job here you have to show that you have skills/experience that cannot be found in the local market,

much the same as Singapore.

I hope you can meet those criteria.

A good grasp of Thai language will also be a valuable attribute.

Thanks astral for your advice.

I keep in mind of that. Thanks. :o

Thanks bkk_mike and Steve2UK. Sorry for the late reply.

So Steve2UK, what documents do you need to show if you apply for non-imm "B" visa in your case? :o

Apart from filling in the form downloaded from the consulate's website, I only needed to include a company letter stating that I had sufficient funds to meet reasonably expected expenses in Thailand and that the company would guarantee to meet any expenses that I couldn't. As it's my own company, I was effectively guaranteeing myself. No bank statements or invitation from a Thai company or anything else like that.

As I said previously, not all consulates are necessarily as relaxed as the one I used (I know from a previous thread on here that different consulates in the States seem to operate varying policies) - but it does show what's possible even if not universally. In my case, I got the clear impression that what counted was that I could look after myself in Thailand and not be a burden on the Thai state. Although my "B" visa is valid for a year and multi-entry, it's still only for a maximum of 90 days at any one time, so - in practice - I don't think there's much difference between the "B" and the 60 day tourist + extension (as Astral recommends).

Whichever you do, good luck :D

Edited by Steve2UK

Sorry for being nagging. Another thing about work-permit, how long does the work permit last if issused. Does it expire together with the visa?  :o

I think I remember seeing on here that the WP can't go beyond the validity of the visa - in which case both would have to be renewed. But others will be able to tell you for sure (and you should search other posts on the subject - I know it has been discussed a lot).

Here is a point where one has to distinguish between a visa issued by a Thai mission abroad and a permission to stay issued by immigration.

Once you arrive with the visa on hand, you will get at the entry-point a stamp that says: 'admitted until (date)', usually for 90 days. At that moment your visa (if single entry) is used.

Your work permit can only be issued to the same date as permitted to stay, not beyond.

Once you have the job you can apply with immigration office to extend your permission to stay up to 1 year starting from the first entry. If this extension is granted you than apply to extent the validity of the WP, again not beyond the period you are allowed to stay.

Although an extention of stay can be applied once you applied for a WP, usually you do it with the WP in hand.

The catch is, when applying for extention of stay, you will get a stamp saying that your application is under consideration and you should come back month later...

Every time you get this stamp, you have to extent the validity of the WP. When you finally get the permission of stay extented up to.... (1 year from the original entry) one more trip to extent the WP.