Exeem

night_rider

You'll all recall the nice people at SupraNova. The ones who provided us all those great torrent links before the Motion Picture Association of America shut them down. Well at the time they were shut down the boys were working on a new bittorrent implementation that has just been released called Exeem. The MPAA was able to shut them down because the old site used a centralized database. All users connected to one source to get their links. The MPAA could argue that the guys at SuprNova and others were aiding and abetting in the distribution of copyrite material. They did and they shut them down.

Exeem is a bit different beast in that it uses nodes to distribute the tracker database over the network instead of a centralized server. Our heros then get off the hook for aiding and abetting. This is hardly new technology but the same principle that the eDonkey network and others have used for some time. One of the consequences of this distributed network is the ability to search for available files online through Exeem rather than going to a dozen tracker sites.

Exeem comes in two flavors. The original Exeem has some adware installed in it. Yes, they say it's not spyware. They disclose it upfront. And I'd really like to support the guys but I don't want any junk on my system. So like Kazaa another flavor has been introduced. Exeem Lite is Exeem without the adware.

Remember it's in beta and still in the testing phase. This may mean the software has a few bugs but more importantly your downloads may not be up to snuff until more users come to the network. Stick with it. I predict Exeem is the next big thing in P2P

http://www.exeem.com

http://www.exlite.net/

I too get 0 users and 0 files - guess there needs to ba a node somewhere less than XX hops away from your isp

One to watch all the same.

But I really cannot see why it will be any different from emule which also uploads files while it downloads them. The only advantage of BT was that a central tracker allows fast connection to peers, and can monitor how many users and seeds there are world wide. Using the distributed network is exactly what Kazaa and Donkey did so can't really see it developing into anything better.

Hmm. Uninstall/reinstall? I downloaded, installed and ran without any alteration. I'm behind a firewall and NAT. I show roughly 25k users, 14k files and 7Tb online.

Perhaps try clicking on the Home tab, enter either java chat or IRC and ask the guys. I bet they'll have a answer for you.

Edited by night_rider

From a Usenet post:

>> Has anyone tried this software yet?

>> What's the general consensus?

> Tried it the other day, couldn't connect... OTOH I didn't spend

> much time nutting out the problem either. Anyway, I hope it becomes

> a success, we need a decent p2p thing again now.

Exeem uses the same listening port as Azureus (6881) which is known as a

p2p port by many ISPs who can choke throughput to this port. Try setting

a different listening port (preferably in the 50000s or 60000s, but not

over 65535:) and don't forget to open the port in your firewall and

forward to any NICs/routers etc.

Well apparently the issue is spreading. My downloads stopped as well and I couldn't connect to the nodes. So I took my own advice above and dropped into the java chat room for some advice. I found a new registry fix and cured my issue. Check out the thread and link here:

http://kronixsoftware.com/exlite/index.php...wtopic=67"

Thanks for this. Works like a charm. Haven't tried any downloading yet, but files popped up almost immediately. BTW, I'm behind the Windows XP firewall - there is no need for any port fowarding.

I have just loaded Exeem and the latest registry patch.

I can get a connection and see the list if files, download..............

Well 24b/s is not really a download, is it?

I am on a 1Mb/s line!!

I have just loaded Exeem and the latest registry patch.

I can get a connection and see the list if files, download..............

Well 24b/s is not really a download, is it?

I am on a 1Mb/s line!!

There is also a newer version .19 beta and .20 is coming out any day. Like any other P2P it will depend on what is on the network. With bittorrent more than other networks I can actually saturate my connection with multiple downloads. Exeem will grow over time as well. It's been at 25k users for awhile but as word spreads it'll pick up. I do like other P2P networks especially eDonkey using the eMule client but bittorrent has been the most reliable for large downloads like DVDs at 4.5 - 9gb.

Just checked, I have the 0.20 Beta.

It is the TOT network that is the bottleneck, or perhaps the CAT international links?

Either way, Thailand is the answer, but not the solution!!