Red-shirts Battle Blue-shirts In Pattaya

george

Red-shirts battle blue-shirts in Pattaya

PATTAYA: -- Red-shirted protesters armed with giant firecrackers, Molotov cocktails, sling shots and batons, battled with local people who formed a line to protect the venue of Asean +6 summit venue here Saturday morning.

The clash happened at 8:40 am.

The outnumbered blue-shirted local people was scattered and ran for cover when the red-shirted people attacked them.

Several explosion sounds of firecrackers were heard and the red-shirted people were seen as firing slingshots with bolts at the blue-shirted people who tried formed a line in front of the Royal Cliff Beach Resort Hotel.

The red-shirted people formed a line and kept advancing until the two sides stood confronting less than one metre apart and the clash broke out.

The red-shirted protesters were seen carrying Molotov cocktails but none had been thrown at the other side yet.

Terrified local residents closed their houses and many were seen weeping with fear.

So far, the security authorities had not step in to stop the clash yet.

-- The Nation 2009-04-11

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Summit postponed following clash between rival groups

PATTAYA: -- The summit of Asean leaders with dialogue partners has been postponed from 9 am Saturday following a clash of red-shirted and blue-shirted people outside the meeting venue.

The postponement was announced live on TV by the acting government spokesman.

-- The Nation 2009-04-11

Chinese PM, Japanese PM, NZ PM, SK president trapped in hotels

PATTAYA: -- The Chinese prime minister, New Zealand prime minister, Japanese prime minister and South Korean president could not leave their hotels to attend the Asean plus dialogue partners summit.

The hotels were blocked by the red-shirted protesters.

The Chinese prime minister and South Korea president stay at the Dusit Thani Pattaya Hotel, the Japanese prime minister at the Amari Pattaya Hotel and the New Zealand prime minister at the Dusit D2 Pattaya Hotel.

-- The Nation 2009-11-04

Voicing an opinnion and excercing your rights seems to only belong to one group. Democracy my Butt

Lack of democracy is throughout the world. The only difference here is that the lack of democracy is more transparent.

I wonder when the Thais will realise that this is a battle between Royalists and Republicans??

Who are the blue shirts then?

I wouldn't put it past Thaksin to send out another team and create a conflict just so the authorities will step in.

Voicing an opinnion and excercing your rights seems to only belong to one group. Democracy my Butt

All have seen that the reds have had big meetings since late last year until now that they have no weapons. They have no back up so if they have weapons, they will be cleared by tear gas.

I don't know why The Nation had this news.

2 reds were shot this morning and were sent to hospitals.

You cant have ordinary people terrorised in their own homes by nutters with molotovs. This has gone beyond peaceful protest. It is time for the authorities to take action.

as far as I could understand TV 7 a "deputy" mentioned that in a brief press conference and repeated Abhisits "warning" he made day before yesterday.

I HOPE "there will be NO blood" !!!!!

Edited by webfact

a more accurate and informative report in the Australian newspaper this morning

Protesters shut down ministers' meeting

From correspondents in Pattaya | April 11, 2009

Article from: Agence France-Presse

THE foreign ministers of China, Japan and South Korea cancelled a meeting at an Asian summit in Pattaya after Thai anti-government protesters blockaded their hotel, officials said.

Hundreds of demonstrators calling for the resignation of Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva prevented the Japanese minister's car from entering the venue in the beach resort, reports from the scene said.

The meeting, which was set to discuss North Korea's recent rocket launch and economic issues, was called off after the ministers had waited for an hour, officials from the Chinese and Japanese delegations said.

It was the first time that the red-shirted supporters of fugitive former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra had managed to disrupt the summit program since they descended on Pattaya a day earlier.

About 2000 demonstrators laid siege yesterday to the main venue of the meeting of 10 Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) leaders plus their counterparts from China, Japan, South Korea, India, Australia and New Zealand.

They had dispersed overnight but returned early this morning to block the road outside the meeting of the three east Asian nations with taxis and at least two large trucks, witnesses said.

You Know I don't care what the motivation is if they were red, yellow or red shirts. Their activities endanger othes lives. The government and it's political correctness has failed to provide security for it's own people. It's sad way to start SongKran. They are not accomplishing their goals so my beleive is until the government steps up and governs this will only get worse.

In that process some people are going to be inconvienced and hurt, but isn't that l already happening?

The Red Shirts are not for democracy. They are for Thaksin's money - always have been, always will be.

Exactly! Thaksin and all his nominee shareholders. :o

:D

a Thai friend told me last night that the mini car drivers in Chiang Mai were not paid by Toxins sister to take red shitters to BKK they were only give 5,000 tbt for petrol!!!!!!

ho ho ho petrol price must have sky rocketed

All have seen that the reds have had big meetings since late last year until now that they have no weapons.

Nothing obvious by way of weapons at the big rallies perhaps but they've been prepared for trouble at other places. This from outside Chiang Mai airport last year.

424903151_NhAv3-M.jpg

Enough is enough!! These people in red make me want to 'puke'. They have IQ's that can be counted on their fingers. When one backs a man who gives them 200 baht and promises them the ability to get government loans, THAT THEY MUST REPAY, you know they qualify for 'DIM-WIT' status. When there was controversy in the USA about the 2000 and 2004 general election, you DID NOT see the people who lost gathering in Washington D.C. and doing what these people in red are doing. Thailand is years off of being a Democratically run country, as greed and power are the only driving factors. Just think how selfish and stupid the previous PM was: 76 billion baht and not one baht DONATED to the good of the country: i.e. donations to schools; hosptials; environment; ad infinitum........if he had done this with no outside urging, he would still be PM. His days are numbered, but he doesn't get it still. Why don't his followers ever question how a policeman can become on of the richest men in the country........it sure wasn't by hard work......other elements were at work...don't kid yourself! I think it is now OK for the police and military to step in with VERY HEAVY HANDS!!!! To the reds: when you play with fire you will get burned....tum dii, die dii, tum chua, dii chua!!!!!

Edited by Reimar
change the color to black

Sling shots with bolts and fire bombs... Pretty much shows me what I needed to see about red shirt protestors.

You obviously didn't follow the tv and articles about the yellowshirts with guns shown on tv firing at people, or are you one of the baying mob on here kissing the arse of the incumbent government,it appears from a lot of posters here that it was perfectly ok for the yellows to do what they wanted but not for the reds,hypocrites the lot of them, espousing about democracy my arse your just a baying mob most of you and a lot just getting on the bandwagon.

All have seen that the reds have had big meetings since late last year until now that they have no weapons. They have no back up so if they have weapons, they will be cleared by tear gas.

I don't know why The Nation had this news.

2 reds were shot this morning and were sent to hospitals.

Good, shoot some more! Idiots endangering the safety of 16 heads of state, deserve no less.

what a mindless, redneck comment - i suggest that you take a look at the news on thai tv and see who came looking for trouble - armed with sticks, smoke bombs, sling shots and guns - the BLUE MOB = they came looking for trouble -- so -- and the security forces just like to stand around and watch -- so keep supporting the blue mob - and they have not endangered the safety of the heads of state -- they are using what ever democratic rights they have and showing their displeasure - seems you have forgotten what the yellow mob did not so long ago - far worse than this -- with the full backing of the govt --

Sling shots with bolts and fire bombs... Pretty much shows me what I needed to see about red shirt protestors.

You obviously didn't follow the tv and articles about the yellowshirts with guns shown on tv firing at people, or are you one of the baying mob on here kissing the arse of the incumbent government,it appears from a lot of posters here that it was perfectly ok for the yellows to do what they wanted but not for the reds,hypocrites the lot of them, espousing about democracy my arse your just a baying mob most of you and a lot just getting on the bandwagon.

Why aren't you at the protest? This is about democracy right? Or was that Demo-crazy.

All violence and all weapons at rallies should be condemned. Doesnt matter the colour of the shirt. Now we have people in their homes and a mob with molotovs milling around. That is wrong, dangerous and it is time for the authroites to protect innocent people.

a more accurate and informative report in the Australian newspaper this morning

Protesters shut down ministers' meeting

From correspondents in Pattaya | April 11, 2009

Article from: Agence France-Presse

THE foreign ministers of China, Japan and South Korea cancelled a meeting at an Asian summit in Pattaya after Thai anti-government protesters blockaded their hotel, officials said.

Hundreds of demonstrators calling for the resignation of Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva prevented the Japanese minister's car from entering the venue in the beach resort, reports from the scene said.

The meeting, which was set to discuss North Korea's recent rocket launch and economic issues, was called off after the ministers had waited for an hour, officials from the Chinese and Japanese delegations said.

It was the first time that the red-shirted supporters of fugitive former Thai prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra had managed to disrupt the summit program since they descended on Pattaya a day earlier.

About 2000 demonstrators laid siege yesterday to the main venue of the meeting of 10 Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) leaders plus their counterparts from China, Japan, South Korea, India, Australia and New Zealand.

They had dispersed overnight but returned early this morning to block the road outside the meeting of the three east Asian nations with taxis and at least two large trucks, witnesses said.

AMAZING THAILAND.....having a Summit in a in a Russian Mafia controlled city. No to bright.

Enough is enough!! These people in red make me want to 'puke'. They have IQ's that can be counted on their fingers. When one backs a man who gives them 200 baht and promises them the ability to get government loans, THAT THEY MUST REPAY, you know they qualify for 'DIM-WIT' status. When there was controversy in the USA about the 2000 and 2004 general election, you DID NOT see the people who lost gathering in Washington D.C. and doing what these people in red are doing. Thailand is years off of being a Democratically run country, as greed and power are the only driving factors. Just think how selfish and stupid the previous PM was: 76 billion baht and not one baht DONATED to the good of the country: i.e. donations to schools; hosptials; environment; ad infinitum........if he had done this with no outside urging, he would still be PM. His days are numbered, but he doesn't get it still. Why don't his followers ever question how a policeman can become on of the richest men in the country........it sure wasn't by hard work......other elements were at work...don't kid yourself! I think it is now OK for the police and military to step in with VERY HEAVY HANDS!!!! To the reds: when you play with fire you will get burned....tum dii, die dii, tum chua, dii chua!!!!!

It might not have happened in the USA but it certainly happened here when the yellow shirts lost, take off your rose coloured specs, and Thaksin without a doubt financed the reds so who do YOU think financed the yellows, and one things for sure the reds are no more cretinus than the yellows, and I do not support either.

Edited by Reimar
change color in quote to black

COULD NOT HAVE SAID IT BETTER - WELL PUT - THERE SEEMS TO BE SO MANY OPS HERE WITH EXPERT COMMENT AND NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT - OSTRICH SYNDROME I THINK -- THEY SUPPORT THE YELLOW TERROR and now will support the new BLUE MOB - or is it that the PAD have just changed they shirt colour - ???? same methods of confrontation - same tactics -- quite possible -

Demonstrations and mobs during summits are not something new or strange. In UK and France, we had some last week for the G20 and Otan. Far stronger. But Obama, Sarkozy, Merkel and John Major :-) managed to chat together.

Thai police is probably one of the weakest or the less trained in the world.

Are the helicopters made for the dogs? Is Thailand too poor to provide a aircraft / PM?

It might not have happened in the USA but it certainly happened here when the yellow shirts lost, take off your rose coloured specs, and Thaksin without a doubt financed the reds so who do YOU think financed the yellows, and one things for sure the reds are no more cretinus than the yellows, and I do not support either.

The yellows financed themself. Every time my wife went there she gave 2-4000 Baht. My staff always gave 50-200 Baht. I know a lot wealthy people who always donated relative large amounts.

The red-shirted protesters were seen carrying Molotov cocktails

-- The Nation 2009-04-11

and what happened to those seen carrying molotov cocktails and/or other weapons????? cnuts should be tossed in jail....and not just for the night, a sentence should be passed out to send a message. if it were up to me i would charge them with terrorism!!!!! fine protest, go ahead but showing up to a protest armed (regardless of the weapon) just shows the intention to do violence is there. dumb shits

and NO i don't support the yellows, i believe all protests that shut down roads, airports, become violent, etc.. are retarded!

Edited by AnthonyR1