What Is The Best Golf Range In Pattaya?

ruds

• 1 year later...

Good Luck!

I visited three so called "top, world class" golf course in Pattaya today.

(1) Phoenix - terrible driving range, not recommended.

(2) Pattaya Country Club, even worse than Phoenix!

(3) Lerm Chabang, ads said had night golf with lights, but they were closed when I called at 7pm.

So far, I find the gold in Chiang Mai 10 times better!

Stardome in Chiang Mai is a very nice range. Greens. Flags. Targets. Automatic tees. Serving girls. Pro shops. etc

Edited by silkroadasia

Most of the driving ranges are pretty ordinary, I've always practiced at the one about 5kms down Siam Country Rd. Tried nearly all of them in Patts but found many had the bays a bit close together for my liking, I find it hard to concentrate when I've some hacker next to me trying to drive his balls over the net at the end of the driving range :) Plus I've never been good at hitting balls that don't have any dimples.

I believe there are a couple of indoor places where you can hit as well, I thinks one is opposite Central Ave, on Sukhumvit Rd, never tried it though.

Today I visited three more courses / ranges in Pattaya, here are my results:

(1) Burapha (OK, best so far)

(2) Laem Chabang (terrible range, just a wild field, no targets)

(3) Fairways (just off Pattaya Klang and Sukhumvit, very old mats, too hard!).

I saw Fairways on the Pattaya TV channel and they seemed to imply it was "new" but I guess

I misread it. I was there today and the artificial turf (mats) are so old and worn that I left

because it was bad for my elbow, hitting into such an old hard mat - not good for health!)

Laem Chabang is a highly ranked course in Thailand and Asia, but unfortunately, the range

is just a wild field inaccessible by car (you are taken there by golf cart). They said there

is a new range under construction!

Burapha Golf Club was a bit spartan, but the range was the best of the six I have visited so

far (which is not saying much!) this week. At least the mats were soft (somewhat new) and

the layout / targets were OK (but not great).

I am in "shock and awe" at how terribly old and warn the mats were at Fairways in Pattaya town.

It is really bad for bones and joints to hit on such a bad surface! I guess if you only use the

rubber tees it is OK. I am surprised the management does not change these worn out mats!

Edited by silkroadasia

I visited 4 more ranges today, making a total of 10 I have visited so far:

(7) Chonburi Century Country Club:

What a terrible experience. This club is pretty far from Pattaya and was advertised to have a range, but when I got there,

they said " no range ". On the other hand, maybe they simply did not like me as I was wearing a T-Shirt. Oddly, when

I drove up to the clubhouse, some guy stalked me on his motorbike and as soon as I got out he complained about my T-Shirt.

I told him it was very hot and I have hit balls and played in T-shirts at Laem Chabang, Burapha, and other expensive golf

courses which cost over 2000 baht a round, why does one of the cheapest and less-reputable course in the area have

such a silly old-fashioned policy. Needless to say, I'll never go back there, and I could not find a range anyway!

(8) Siam CC Plantation:

This is a beautiful course and range, but the sign says the range closes every day at 4:45 PM. This is way to early to

close a range. I asked about it, and they said nobody uses the range much there, everyone plans the course. Yes,

the range was attractive and used natural turf, but it was closed and boring. I'll not go back there either, unless playing

golf.

(9) Siam CC Old Course:

Closed on Mondays. I'll have to go back.

(10) Siam Golf Range (Harold Wiseman)

Accidentally found this range on the Siam CC road back to town. I stopped in at twilight and talked with Harold, the owner. Nice guy, lived in

Thailand for 30 years. Said he used to be a PGA pro (cannot confirm). By far the best range so far. His lights stay on until 10 PM and they shine directly on the targets which are elevated "greens". They had cold drinks, a pro shop, even big fans to cool you off on the tee.

Tomorrow I'm busy with diving shops, one in particular; so I don't think I'll be on the courses/ranges tomorrow.

So far, out of 10 ranges visited, Harold's range on the road to Siam CC ranks number one; but I have at least 10 more to visit!

PS: I found some forum posts that question Harold's PGA claim, some say he is a 12 handicap at best and not a PGA pro, but that does not

effect the range, which at least hight lights and cold drinks and fans and targets :)

See this cache for more discussion:

Update! Did have a chance to visit two more golf clubs / ranges today, making the total 13 so far (tomorrow is scuba day, so I doubt I'll visit any golf ranges, but there is always the night time):

(12) Asia Pattaya Hotel, Par 3 Course

Advertised as a Par 3, nine hole course with floodlights, but there are no lights yet! The reception there told me the lights would be

finished next month (but we all know what that means, LOL).... anyway, hopefully in the future there will be lights for night

short game practice. Around 340 baht for unlimited play, under 300 baht for Pattaya Sports Club members. (This may change

when the lights work, as I cannot imagine unlimited night play under the lights for that price.)

(13) The Navy Golf Course in Sattahip

Nice people (normally Thai military golf clubs have nice people). The range (the range tee) gets afternoon shade around 5pm because

of the trees. Very basic range, all natural turf, like practicing in light rough (not the fairway). Subtract at least one club length for

the rough grass and soft turf. Good on the elbows and arms because fully natural grass (but a bit rough broad blade grass).

No lights. Spartan targets. Nice people. Friendly. Great for practicing "out of the light rough" shots.

Most all of these course visited so far give green fee discounts to members of the Pattaya Sports Club, and next week the new one year membership period starts (basically, you will get June for free if you sign up next week).

More later....

The "Pattaya Driving Range" on third road at the north Pattaya end can be convenient but not that good. "Diana Driving Range" has just recently re-opened - looks like new "clubhouse" and mats etc but the range itself is still in very poor condition - maybe this will change after a bit of rain ? Best of the bunch within Pattaya at the moment (non - golf course that is!)

Harolds driving range - down the Siam Country Club Road for extra long drives (very little grass, hard ground) and some odd greens to aim at. Mats are a bit old.

The old "Green Way" driving range down the Sukhumvit past Lotus, still green but the nets are in some serious need of repair. Nice practice green/ practice bunker area off to the side.

The "Korean" driving range opposite the top of central road on the Suk. - never been to it - no comment.

Phoenix Golf course - good but they won't let you practice off the grass.

as above Siam CC and Plantation GC both good.

• 2 weeks later...
On an extremely good day Harold is about a 15, he was never a PGA pro...

There are hundreds and hundreds (and maybe thousands) of PGA Pros. They are not PGA TOUR Pros. There are only 125 of them in the world and the #125 is probably a +4 handicap on the most difficult courses from the back tees. Another words he plays golf on a very different planet (level) than you and i do or can imagine.

The term PGA Pro generally refers to a teaching pro. He is designated a PGA pro because he passed a written exam and played a PGA designated course and averaged 87 or better on three consecutive rounds (or something to this effect as i am not up on the latest PGA Pro qualifications). Most PGA pros are guys who can't or never could make it on the PGA tour/Nationwide Tour/European Tour/Asia Tour, etc.

He can be anything from a outstanding golfer (scrath to plus 2 or 3) to mediocre golfer (10-15 handicap). He may be an excellent teacher but not a great golfer. He may also be a excellent golfer but not a great teacher and just work in the Pro Shop.

Generally, a PGA Pro is a pretty good golfer because he works at a golf course and has unlimited play/practice access.

Just want to say thank for the great review of driving ranges (or lack of) in Pattaya. Went to a couple when i visited and very discouraging. Practice facilities are severly lacking unless you are a member or have access to the nice country clubs (Siam/Lam Chaebang) from what i have been told and my observations at the 5-6 courses i played in the area.

There are hundreds and hundreds (and maybe thousands) of PGA Pros. They are not PGA TOUR Pros. There are only 125 of them in the world and the #125 is probably a +4 handicap on the most difficult courses from the back tees. Another words he plays golf on a very different planet (level) than you and i do or can imagine.

The term PGA Pro generally refers to a teaching pro. He is designated a PGA pro because he passed a written exam and played a PGA designated course and averaged 87 or better on three consecutive rounds (or something to this effect as i am not up on the latest PGA Pro qualifications). Most PGA pros are guys who can't or never could make it on the PGA tour/Nationwide Tour/European Tour/Asia Tour, etc.

He can be anything from a outstanding golfer (scrath to plus 2 or 3) to mediocre golfer (10-15 handicap). He may be an excellent teacher but not a great golfer. He may also be a excellent golfer but not a great teacher and just work in the Pro Shop.

Generally, a PGA Pro is a pretty good golfer because he works at a golf course and has unlimited play/practice access.

Just want to say thank for the great review of driving ranges (or lack of) in Pattaya. Went to a couple when i visited and very discouraging. Practice facilities are severly lacking unless you are a member or have access to the nice country clubs (Siam/Lam Chaebang) from what i have been told and my observations at the 5-6 courses i played in the area.

Firstly, there are way more than 125 PGA Tour Pros in the world. You are wrong there.

Secondly, Harold was never a PGA Teaching Pro. The score average you refer to above is more like 77, not 87.

Best of Luck...

Edited by kicking

Ruds,

Really appreciate the effort into detailing the ranges in the area.

I'm interested in what you say about Siam Plantation though.

I understand from someone with first hand experience with them and their management that they are not interested in having kids playing on their course or range.

I've chanced going there with my little fella who at 8 years old can now crack a ball fairly well, since the range, putting and bunker facilities are second to none in the area and I'm willing to sacrifice a few beers and pay the exhorbitant 80 baht per tray so he can practice properly and they told me that you are not allowed on the range unless you are playing the golf course. <deleted> ??

You seem to have had a different reaction "they said nobody uses the range much there, everyone plans the course" - presumably you were without a kid in tow.

If this is the case then it's a shame that they're not interested in promoting the game amoungst the younger generation.

Before the usual batchelors get going on this about kids normal unbecoming behaviour, I personally expect my kid to behave like a grown up on the courses he plays and if they don't then there's no golf allowed. I realise this is not the case with all parents but for Plantation management, surely they can realise amongst all the big brains within their team that if there is an issue with kids not behaving on the grounds then all they have to do is ask them to leave.

I'd be interested if anyone from Plantation members has any info on this.

Firstly, there are way more than 125 PGA Tour Pros in the world. You are wrong there.

Secondly, Harold was never a PGA Teaching Pro. The score average you refer to above is more like 77, not 87.

Best of Luck...

1. Wrong. There are only 125 PGA Tour Pros every year. 125 in 2010. Some come (new) through qualifying school and some go (retire or don't make the cut that particular year). There may be 500-1000 living but there are only 125 PGA tour pros playing on the PGA in 2010. Just like there were 125 in 2009 and will be 125 in 2011. Top 100 in 2010 automatic to next year bottom 25 have to go through qualifying school.

2. Don't know Harold from Joe. Could care less just stating that because someone is a PGA Pro does not mean he is on the PGA Tour it means he works (or has worked) in the golf industry and earned a living being involved in golf.

3. Read my post. One can score as high as 87 during the player aptitude test. Agree most PGA teaching pro's are closer to 77.

I am feeling lucky.

you will have to venture out of pattaya to find the better ranges, few in chonburi area are Amata Springs - awesome range but can only hit off matts unless a member, can pay 50 baht to use the massive putting green but cant use the chipping bunker area unless member. Another is Thai Country Club-not sure their policy on non member tho. The last is Bangpagong riverside-cheap, decent, balls a bit old and scrappy but have a chipping area, putting green and some grass can hit off and matts are quite decent.

Best of Luck...

1. Wrong. There are only 125 PGA Tour Pros every year. 125 in 2010. Some come (new) through qualifying school and some go (retire or don't make the cut that particular year). There may be 500-1000 living but there are only 125 PGA tour pros playing on the PGA in 2010. Just like there were 125 in 2009 and will be 125 in 2011. Top 100 in 2010 automatic to next year bottom 25 have to go through qualifying school.

2. Don't know Harold from Joe. Could care less just stating that because someone is a PGA Pro does not mean he is on the PGA Tour it means he works (or has worked) in the golf industry and earned a living being involved in golf.

3. Read my post. One can score as high as 87 during the player aptitude test. Agree most PGA teaching pro's are closer to 77.

I am feeling lucky.

No, you are wrong yet again. Look at the official PGA site, they list 302 active PGA players. This week's Quail Hollow started with almost 160 players.

PGA Teaching Pro - rigorous test and playing test. Not awarded solely because someone earns their living from the golf industry.

If anyone scores an 87 during the Players Aptitude Test they will surely fail! To be fair, I did once hear of Harold shooting an 87 though I did not witness it. Usually he's in the 90's. Observe him on the range and you will see that it is impossible that he is a pro.

Back to the best range in Pattaya. I already stated Plantation GC is the best practice facility hands down. Who cares if it closes at 4:45? And boring? What the heck is the OP looking for anyway???

Good luck...

Edited by kicking

kicking:

Who cares if it closes at 4:45? - anyone who has to work for a living for a start and anyone who has to go to school for seconds.

Also it's a bit of the TIT mentality when they only allow those who are playing a round to practice on it.

As you 'stated' - it is the best facility in the area - that I have seen anyway - but it could be so much better if they allowed people to actually use it.

I agree with mogy.... I don't find Plantation a good range at all. I am sure that kicking loves the Plantation range, but I don't like it at all. I like golf ranges with more services, night lights, various well done targets, etc. Plantation has no lights and you can't even drive up to the range with your car, so this range is not suitable for me at all. I much prefer Harold's range. At least there are lights, targets, and you can park right next to the range and the workers will take your clubs to your station! There is also cold drinks, beer and fans for hot, muggy nights right next to the practice stations.

We (myself and a friend from Tokyo) were at Harold's range the other night and it was full (around 7 pm), lots of people practicing. At the same time, Plantation had ZERO people on their range, since it closes in the afternoon and can't open at night since there are no lights!! So, if you ask us, we rank Plantation very low on our list, and obviously other people do as well, since there are no people on the range there! In fact, I asked the front office staff at Plantation why their range was not open longer, and their reply was that few people actually use it, and most people go their to play golf, not drive on the range. They said the range is mainly for golfers playing rounds, not folks practicing at the range. This explanation meets observed reality, as this is exactly what Plantation range is about, according to the staff and what I observed there.

So far, I've visited 13 or 14 ranges here in Pattaya. I would have visited more, but I've been busy scuba diving. But, since the tides are not so great for diving now, I may visit more ranges today and tomorrow.

kicking:

Who cares if it closes at 4:45? - anyone who has to work for a living for a start and anyone who has to go to school for seconds.

Also it's a bit of the TIT mentality when they only allow those who are playing a round to practice on it.

As you 'stated' - it is the best facility in the area - that I have seen anyway - but it could be so much better if they allowed people to actually use it.

Touche. No, I didn't think of the people working normal hours or those going to school. If you can't use it then it's no good at all.

As far as the long walk, they take you and your clubs via cart to the range. You don't have to walk.

I've been to Plantation just for the range many times, never heard that you had to play to use the facilities. It's also a great course though somewhat expensive.

Good luck everyone...

@ silkroadasia and kicking: what you have both said in your last posts confirms to me that they just don't want kids on the driving range. When I went there with my young lad they stated that a decision was made by management that from beginning of March the range is only for the use of people who are going to or have just played a round - you seem to have been told that it's generally for people playing rounds and you've also practiced there without playing a round.

I still think it's a brilliant facility though - or was anyway.

If Harold would get his act together and throw some sand in the huge empty bunker he has beside his green then it wouldn't be the worst place in the world either.....any chance he's reading this ??....anybody know him well enough to tell him get the finger out ?...

If Harold would get his act together and throw some sand in the huge empty bunker he has beside his green then it wouldn't be the worst place in the world either...

IMHO, we should not pick on Harold. At least he had targets and lights, LOL. Sure, his range could be better, but it is already the best in the area I've seen for night practice. Better to "pick on" the other ranges, like Fairways, where the mats are so old and worn down that you can damage your elbow hitting off the turf!

Anyway, golf in Pattaya is outrageously expensive compared to Chiang Mai, so I'm spoiled living in CM for so long, where we have really good ranges (Stardome) and nice courses with cute refreshers, cold beer, a number of night courses, and great golf prices.

Hahahaha... It's a bit too hot for golf and the not so great diving conditions (visibility) either, so I might have to take a trip out of Pattaya, or simply change to another activity for a while :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As a long term member of Siam Country Club, Old Course, and it being closed on Mondays I decided to try the driving range at the Plantation Course. This being due to playing so badly of late and needing to try and get things put right. I arrived at the bag drop this morning at around 10.30 but no caddies or the usual caddy master to unload my clubs, no problem, I drove to the car park and carried my own clubs up stairs to the Pro Shop. There was about 5-6 cars in the car park and a mini bus.

I went into the pro shop and explained to the lady I wanted to hit a couple of trays of balls at the driving range, "Do you want to play 18 holes", asked the receptionist (who worked at the old course for a number of years), "No", I told her I needed to practice. "Sorry, new rules from big boss, can only use driving range if you pay to play 18 holes". I politely told her I was a member of the old course (this she already knew) and as it was shut on Monday's I couldn't practice there, "I just need to hit a couple of trays of balls", I told her, "There's no one on the course, there's hardly likely to be anyone on the driving range, what's the problem?" I asked. She called a couple of numbers then told me the Manager was coming to see me. The lady who arrived hes worked at both courses, but originally was at the old course a long time. I've always found her most unhelpfull and seems to enjoy telling you what you can and can't do. "Sorry, you can only use the driving range if you pay to play 18 holes and caddy" she smilingley told me. "But there's no one here, whats the problem?", I asked. She just stood there with a smug grin on her face.

I will never go there again, and I wonder how long they will continue to try and stick people over 2,500 baht just to use the driving range. Is it a wonder the course was empty?

Try the new one at Chayapreuk2 right next to indoor sports arena. Less than a year open. good condition mats, auto tee-up machines, range is really a small but attractive 9 hole par 3 course (which you can book to play before 10 am), so plenty of real greens to aim at. Open until 9pm at least with good lights. Faces north. Not cheapest but far from outrageous prices.

• 1 year later...

Best practice facility by far is Plantation GC, near Siam CC.

Harold is the Falang we were all warned about, real talker. Hope who ever funded this new business has eyes in the back of their head....

I know people personally he scammed out of a few mil baht when they were nice enough to loan him money to get his golf business going.

They have chased him around for years, still not an end to it. Lawyers are pretty much worthless allot of times.

Some Caddy friends say Harold has a hard time breaking 90 without cheating at Siam old course.

Wow another venture with Harold involved, Pattaya must be hard up, has to be a beer bar or something sleazy. Wonder if he will pay back several of the people he has scammed over last 20+ years. Someone who put up the funds must have been ignorant to Harold’s past, if the same Harold, hope they have eyes in the back of their head, they will need it.

I know Phoenix C.C. invited him not to return to their business, something about he was using their Directors names in association with his fake golf club business among other things.

One of my first encounters with Wiseman was in mid 90’s he came into a bar where some of us just returned from playing golf, he was telling us he was friends of King or Queen’s maid and was taking care of some of her shrimp farms. He was looking for investors, he was going to start doing his own.

One of the guys knew something about it; ask him a few questions and that was that. After Harold left the bar, the guy rang the bell and bought us drinks, said that was the funniest fairy tale he had heard in years.

Ran into him again in the late 90’s, said he had a motorbike accident, two black eyes and bruised face, didn’t see any other scratches or marks. One of the guys that knew him well said must be one of his scams did not work out to good.

Last time I seen him in early 2000’s I was waiting for a friend to come down and join me for a tea, here comes Harold through the hotel lobby, black eyes and bruises again. I told my friend about it, he said joke of the golf courses, stay away a real scammer, few levels below trailer trash.

Buying a house over there some years back the lawyer had some clients that had been chasing Wiseman for years to get money they loaned him, after 5 years they were still chasing and setting up court stuff which I guess takes a long time. Seen some legal docs on the Conant & Wiseman stuff then also, they were working on getting that to court too. What a low life, get someone to help fund their business then they steal from them. If you are within a mile of em keep your hands on your wallet, I would avoid anyone that even associates with the likes.

I have not been around Thailand much in the last 10 years so probably missed allot since. Guess the place attracts good, bad and less than trailer trash still. Too bad some of them last longer than they should and stink up the place for the rest.

Edited by Khun ?