State Of Emergency Declared For Bangkok

george

We can fight back and forth all we want. In the end it comes down to this. Why is Abhisit afraid of holding elections if he's so sure that the majority wants him?

He's not sure and he believes that he is fairly in his PM shoes.... I am saddened by your posts though, through the PAD crap you were so vocal about their violent actions, yet I have not seen you once post negitave about the reds actions... why is that?

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i guess songkran is off, no gatherings of moe than 5 people is part of the rules right?

A friend of mine just flew in from the States...she's staying near Banyan Tree Hotel...anyone know if there are any red shirts hanging around over there? I'd like to take her to Khao San. A friend told me that it's all closed down?? Can't imagine this, but I don't have a TV, anyone have updates?

Greatly appreciated.

i guess songkran is off, no gatherings of moe than 5 people is part of the rules right?

A friend of mine just flew in from the States...she's staying near Banyan Tree Hotel...anyone know if there are any red shirts hanging around over there? I'd like to take her to Khao San. A friend told me that it's all closed down?? Can't imagine this, but I don't have a TV, anyone have updates?

Greatly appreciated.

Do not take her anywhere, it is not safe anywhere at the moment. As no one knows where the reds will decide to roam to next

Chuan Leekpai?

Found guilty by the National Counter Corruption Commission for not declaring shares in a co-operative?

That Chuan?

The guy who's nickname is 'the painter' because of his staunch defence of cabinet ministers in his government accused of corruption?

Same Chuan?

Look at this. Somebody else agrees with you:

It's common knowledge to anyone with even the thinnest grasp of Thai politics, and it is the reason Chuan Leekpai has the nickname of 'The Painter'.

But seeing as you are obviously not informed on the subject I'll help you on the way with your research. Google 'Salween Logging Scandal' for starters.

Oh and then there's the time he was found guilty by the National Counter Corruption Commission too.

No need to prove anything as it's all common knowledge, or at least it should be if you are commenting on Thai politics.

Someone worth to fighting for:

post-58494-1239617278.jpg

:o:D

She is cute and the animation is really cute, but I think she is a little young for OLD expats to be fighting over....

Maybe...but it's worth fighting over!....

In other news the sun will set soon and Rama IX intersection near the subway entrance is on fire at the moment.

I am also a farang and my embassy called me see whether we are alright or not.

You are obviously not British then! :o

Expecting to get flamed now but here's my opinion. Abhisit is doing his best in very difficult circumstances and will be damned for agressiveness or timidness. Casualties so far appear to be remarkably light despite provocation. Though many might sympathise with their aims there are obviously skilled people out to inflame the situation (probably on both sides). This cannot be the way forward. If it is then god help rich and poor alike! No government should allow this to prevail, and few people would now deny that decisive action is required. There are people I admire and despise on both sides of the issue but this is now intimidation of the people by a mob that has had fair warning.

Edited by seri thai

Chuan Leekpai?

Found guilty by the National Counter Corruption Commission for not declaring shares in a co-operative?

That Chuan?

The guy who's nickname is 'the painter' because of his staunch defence of cabinet ministers in his government accused of corruption?

Same Chuan?

you came a couple of days with that nonsense and it is simply not true when looking closer.....

don't want to do exactly the same discussion as before again.

Greatly appreciated.

Basically normal Songkran in Khao San at the moment.

It is the time to called PM Abhisit to step down and he don't waste anymore time. Damages being done in the international reputation, property and people. More and more red shirts is attacking at most of the provinces based on the TV News. Also ex-PM Thaksin should stop this activity and called off the red shirts back home so that Songkran will be white rather than black.

I am also a farang and my embassy called me see whether we are alright or not.

You are obviously not British then! :o

nice

As I said before Abhisit has too much support right now and he is not going to step down. He is not going to call new elections. Those who believe so, are delusional. He used a very smart tactic to disperse a mad mob. Slowly, but sure, avoiding killing people in large numbers. Army is on his side and those reds can't do anything to be in power after creating chaos in Bangkok, destroying public property. Taksin has lost the battle, and the international community will not condemn Abhisit's actions in any way! Thaksin is the big looser right now!

Will you both shut up please! Anyone who threatens indiscriminate violence against civilians with any kind of weapon, or their bare hands is a terrorist.

This is a thread about whats going on in Bangkok - and you are arguing over insignificant details and being pedantic.

what utter drivel, if I threaten you for looking at my missus i suddenly become a terrorist :o

Redscouse, don't you think its about time you button it up..... you're getting to be a pain in the A^^^.

Even though you forgot to announce your connection to the CIA, FBI, MI5 and the no doubt others, you have convinced us that you are in deed a lawyer.....How , by blabing and blabing and blabing and telling all of us how right you are and how wrong the rest of us are and still saying absolutely nothing.

I dropped out of a couple hours ago, knowing it was impossible to discuss anything with someone of such low level thought process. Now why don't you also drop out and/or post about something related to the situation at hand, not prattleing on about what you know and said.

Just one more thought before I go...... In both ore respective countries, walk onto an airplane while boarding and say to the hostess " Hi Jack, and say you have a bomb......... don't have to show it , and don't have to blow up the plane,,,,,,,,, I am pretty sure you will be arrested for a terrorist act.

Now how about taking your final shot and then dropping it ......as you will have the last word little one

LET ME JUST ADD FINI'''''' I HAVE NOW READ THRU ABOUT 3 MISSSING HOURS OF POSTS AND SEE THAT YOU HAVE PRETTY MUCH DROPPED IT...

MY APOLOGIES GONZO

Edited by Gonzo the Face

No fatalities, army insists

By: BangkokPost.comPublished: 13/04/2009 at 04:58 PM Army spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd denied the red-shirts' claim that several protesters were killed in Monday's crackdown in Bangkok, saying the Narenthorn EMS Centre confirmed there were no fatalities.

Col Sansern said the protesters' claims that soldiers loaded four bodies into a truck, took them away and disposed of them were false. If this had happened it would have been caught on news film, he said.

"The protesters want to destroy credibility of the army," he said.

He said some soldiers fired harmless blanks at protesters, with the bullets replaced by wads of paper. These were training rounds and were not dangerous. They just made a loud noise, he said.

Soldiers and police reamined deployed at 50 risk locations throughout Bangkok, he said.

He said the crackdown on the anti-government movement was done with minimal force, as ordered by army chief Gen Anupong Paojinda.

By: BangkokPost.comPublished: 13/04/2009 at 04:58 PM Army spokesman Sansern Kaewkamnerd denied the red-shirts' claim that several protesters were killed in Monday's crackdown in Bangkok, saying the Narenthorn EMS Centre confirmed there were no fatalities.

Col Sansern said the protesters' claims that soldiers loaded four bodies into a truck, took them away and disposed of them were false. If this had happened it would have been caught on news film, he said.

He said some soldiers fired harmless blanks at protesters, with the bullets replaced by wads of paper. These were training rounds and were not dangerous. They just made a loud noise, he said.

Soldiers and police reamined deployed at 50 risk locations throughout Bangkok, he said.

He said the crackdown on the anti-government movement was done with minimal force, as ordered by army chief Gen Anupong Paojinda.

I have seen no reports of fatalities - either on Thai media, or international. Also have not seen any pictures of bodies, even though most of the images are live shots.

So far so good, as the government and armed forces have managed to reclaim many roads and intersections. I hope it continues to be free from tragedy.

Just curious, Im staying in Thong Lo and went out just now to find the BTS here closed. Is the skytrain closed everywhere?
When I was there a few hours ago the gates were down except for the "door" piece that allowed just one at a time to go in and out. The office shutters were drawn, but the place seemed to be open and I saw people going in and out. I dunno if they were in the process of shutting or if they're just set up to close quickly in case trouble erupts. Odd, too, because our little neighborhood seems like it's one of the least likely targets, heh. Who knows, though.

The Army is really cautious, avoiding casualties in high numbers regardless after seeing what is happening around, a real mess and chaos. Those who had to suffer can blame only themselves. They had enough time to leave the premises as they were warned yesterday!

By the way, the clashes moved to the Government House. A huge smoke can be seen from that area. More details, anyone,please ?

REUTERS: Thai troops move into central protest area

BANGKOK, April 13 (Reuters) - Thai troops moved into an area

occupied by protesters near Government House in central Bangkok

on Monday, a Reuters witness said.

Shots were heard as the troops moved through barriers erected

by red-shirted supporters of ousted prime minister Thaksin

Shinawatra, the witness said.

The protesters have been encamped at Government House, where

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has his offices, since March 26.

Troops, through loudspeakers, have urged the protesters to leave

and said they would guarantee their safety.

Just curious, Im staying in Thong Lo and went out just now to find the BTS here closed. Is the skytrain closed everywhere?
When I was there a few hours ago the gates were down except for the "door" piece that allowed just one at a time to go in and out. The office shutters were drawn, but the place seemed to be open and I saw people going in and out. I dunno if they were in the process of shutting or if they're just set up to close quickly in case trouble erupts. Odd, too, because our little neighborhood seems like it's one of the least likely targets, heh. Who knows, though.

Possibly as I saw a couple of people inside. I was here during the first crisis for a holiday and now that I've come back to visit a friend, this happens again. Stuck in the hotel having the most boring time with all the japanese businesmen... lol :o

Some posters seems suspiciously absent... The ones who first said there were only a handful of reds.. The ones who then said they'd just go home to their Lao Khao for Songkran.. The silence is deafening.

Congratulations. Your red shirts are more violent and and deranged than most thought possible. :o

The 4am crackdown on Din Daeng intersection has shown that the army and police are behind the PM. Today would be a good day to stay home, for all those of you in and around Bangkok.

Stay safe everyone.

The 4am crackdown and injuring civilians might be all part of the larger plan.

Anyone who knows Thai's knows they will not accept the Army using force against civilians.

This action will now lead to more people joining the reds, more protests across the country.

The Army appear to be doing nothing.

The police appear on the reds side.

This is just "livening up things" to get the situation out of control, at which point the Red supporting Army side can stage a coup, which may lead to some gun battles against the Yellow supporting Army side. This is one likely scenario.

The government is now out of control of the country - the promised quick action at 5:20pm yesterday - but nothing happened.

Abhisit and the Democrats have blood on their hands, and Thais will never accept that. No government has ever used force and survived.ry

Vert interesting day today - could see the country paralysed by the reds.

Certainly the little bit of Din Daeng action today will have made many hundreds of thousands now move into the red camp.

Think Thai, not Farang.

I think its time that you step back in reality and stop fantasising or dream the impossible dream.

50 pages on Thai visa of Farangs fighting, insulting and abusing each other!!!!-GREAT

Seems all involved come from democratic countries and yet can not have a civilized discussion or debate without insulting each other

and yet same people commenting on Thai behaviour!

So if all involved can not agree on anything, how can you possibly comment on Thai's agreeing?

Some posts mentioned having police man as a friend, YOU WOULD BE THE FIRST ONE!

Firstly i am yet to meet a foreigner who will say he has Thai male friend, less alone policeman as a friend.

Secondly the only friendship if any you would have with Thai policeman is if were either involved in some extortions from your own countrymen or paying him off for something

Thirdly, since when did Thai police become a reliable source?

Cops claim was they get punished afterwords, WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP!

Of course they get punished but not because they did something, it is because they did a terrible job.

Doing a job and doing job well is 2 different things. Thai cops are only good at extortion and bribes, they have no training nor desire to actually do police work.

They can not solve a simple murder or rape case.

Real events case: Thai police was called to deal with mentally sick man who had a knife and was threatening to kill someone.

One officer walks into the house with a shot gun and shoots the guy in th chest-JOB WELL DONE?

Whats their excuse for releasing taxi driver after he threw a bomb into gas station?

Bottom line, Thai police have no training nor desire to actually "serve and protect", all they care about is ripping people off and extortion

The higher is the rank the more bribes he gets. Ask him to do something useful and he can no longer be reached.

I was personally once robbed, have video of the person, have the details of where they are shopping(credit cards were stolen also), furthermore they bought air tickets so could easily be arrested at the airport or found through the people flying-and yet Thai Mighty police force did nothing, did not even move his fat ass of the chair.

So please stop referring to Thai police as any kind of force, further i will be embarrassed to call one of them my Friend.

Kuffki,

I agree for 1 million percent.

That Chuan?

Same Chuan?

OMG!!! Chuan was found guilty of not declaring assets!!! Thats the worst kinda corruption, if you ask me! And then he goes protects and defends MP's in his party, my god! what kinda of PARTY leader is he!! evil evil!

So, they have moved into Government House is the latest and possibly this is being brought to an end as we speak???

Sounds very intense

I think the speed at which the armed forces and police moved today suprised all the red shirts. They have retreated back to GH, many of them are sitting down now, with the soldiers looking on, and the organizers are now telling them to be peaceful.

I believe the miliary is planning to go through the crowd and disarm them competely.