Tanks Mobilised In Bangkok

george

BCC is reporting, "Tanks been Hi-jacked on Bangkok streets by Red Shirts". They are showing footage of red shirt people jumping all over the tanks and seen to have control of them. BBC reported the tanks were taken over with no resistance !!!!!

So there are now tanks in Bangkok streets under the control of red shirts. It's kind of comical. I wonder how much tea money to the tank drivers????

Hehe... Indeed it is comical. It really is embarrassing for this country. They can't even maintain law and order from a disruption by a relatively small mob of thugs. I hate to think of what would happen if another country invaded.

These are Thai citizen not an invasion by another country

Do you really think the soldiers want to shoot these protesters?

Protesters :o

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

henry its so funny that you were a huge PAD supporter and now talking about how protesters should be brought to justice. 555555

Above all I'm a Legalistic.

I still believe that occupying the airport was not an illegal act, but I accept any verdict made by a court, even I have an different opinion about it.

So let the juridical system do there job, and as long they are not convicted they are still presumed innocent.

BTW I was only writing that legal actions where taking against them, I never wrote they should brought to justice.

Well well.

You are sure quick to fire when you don't see the enemy, right?

Now i, for once, was present when the DEM guys came offering 200 Baht for every vote. No hear-say, i was right there, live, seen it with my very own eyes, and my girlfriend's uncle accepted the dosh. Fact.

Regarding PAD vs. Red, sure both are rent-a-mob but at least UDD wasn't violent from day one (They did not even enter Government Housr or capture airports). Also there it wasn't the crowd that turned violent in the later stages but their "poor citizens". Well, after a few shots had been fired against them by the army, what would you expect? Now who exactly launched grenades at the Red's? Army. Correct. Then that's the reason why they are violent.

Red mobs didn't kill anyone, while they had several killed by the PAD. Fact. The one idiot who ran over cops with a pickup was a PAD member, and everyone knew it. Even if he did not wear a yellow shirt!

By the way i am not saying (nor have i ever said) that Mark came to power was dodgy. However pretty much everything that came after it WAS. Dem's program initially was well thought out, but as soon as Mark had the power he did everything to make sure nobody else would ever get a slice of the cake again. Key power positions were given to PAD (Kasit for example), and Newin allies, etc; to further strengthen his power grip and to fill his bank accounts and once all that was in place, the rampant vote-buying started (2,000 Baht to buy 10 million vote each).

Isn't it funny that everything the red did is wrong, and what the yellow did is right.

THAT is why i want this to end quickly, before whole Bangkok goes up in flames (- what's next, take the airports??) The red wouldn't have done this, the reds do.

Wake up, see the truth.

If it is true that democrats got the second after PPP, why they don't want to schedule a new election within near future?

I don't know about the result on Dec 2007 election, but I heard something about coalition after Somchai was turned down.

if Abhisit is a real hero, then he should admit that the airport closure is a crime and he must do something against the perpetrators.

He did that in Hardtalk last week, and he he also said legal action was taking by the juridical system against the responsible ones. There are several law suits filled;

Abhisit's foreign minister was a major PAD player.

The investigation is still "pending". :o

yes and Abhisit told that Kasit is just like any other citizen, he will accept the verdict of the court.

henry its so funny that you were a huge PAD supporter and now talking about how protesters should be brought to justice. 555555

I still believe that occupying the airport was not an illegal act, but I accept any verdict made by a court, even I have an different opinion about it.

So let the juridical system do there job, and as long they are not convicted they are still presumed innocent.

BTW I was only writing that legal actions where taking against them, I never wrote they should brought to justice.

The judges are not GOD.

It has been proven again and again that some judges are corrupt, and many take side with the winner of the day.

So BLINDLY follow what the judges say, with the right to appeal or question the judges decision is not a good thing.

sorry, haven't all the posts. However, rules of engagement by authorities appear to be too wishy washy.

It's understandable to be trepidatious, in order to avoid bloodshed, but there are limits to everything. If a gov't minister is directly threatened, security troops should issue a warning, and if not heeded, take appropriate actions. All ranks should know and heed signals given by their superiors. If a captain is put out of service, a corporal takes over immediately, and so on. If shots fired in the air don't stop the approaching mass of protesters, then shots to the knees would be in order. If that too, fails to stop the protesters, then shots to the stomach (or worse). If Thai security troops can't do the job, then hire foreign troops that can.

Alternatively, rubber bullets and/or tear gas are effective crowd dispersement tools - though too-dangerous (lethal, made-in-China) tear gas was unwittingly used against Yellow Shirts last year. Have Thai tear gas supplies been replaced? Probably not, and that's why no tear gas has been used recently - for fear of more deaths from faulty product.

There are other more recently developed crowd dispersal tools available (sonic repellents, sticky goo, propelled nets, foul-smelling compounds, etc.). But Thailand is not expected to be at the vanguard of such things, though they may get the newer tools (from other countries) in perhaps ten to forty years from now.

Thai entrepreneurs could also see about inventing crowd dispersal gizmos, but that's not likely, as it's easier to either buy or copy such things from other countries who invent and develop them.

If thinghs get realy out of hand in my country and gas and waterspraying don't help, they send in the mounted anti-riot police. I guarantee you once the horses ride in at full speed and the mounted police using their battons, the street is cleaned up in 10 minutes.

I don't know if Thailand have such units.

The judges are not GOD.

It has been proven again and again that some judges are corrupt, and many take side with the winner of the day.

So BLINDLY follow what the judges say, with the right to appeal or question the judges decision is not a good thing.

In a juridical system you have always the right to appeal in an higher court, but at a certain moment there is a final verdict and you should accept it. I don't say you must agree, I say ACCEPT it.

Otherwise you can not have a functional society, but chaos and street justice

Do you really like to make Thailand some kind of OK Coral and have lynch parties. I refuse to believe that any sensible person want that.

sorry, haven't all the posts. However, rules of engagement by authorities appear to be too wishy washy.

It's understandable to be trepidatious, in order to avoid bloodshed, but there are limits to everything. If a gov't minister is directly threatened, security troops should issue a warning, and if not heeded, take appropriate actions. All ranks should know and heed signals given by their superiors. If a captain is put out of service, a corporal takes over immediately, and so on. If shots fired in the air don't stop the approaching mass of protesters, then shots to the knees would be in order. If that too, fails to stop the protesters, then shots to the stomach (or worse). If Thai security troops can't do the job, then hire foreign troops that can.

Alternatively, rubber bullets and/or tear gas are effective crowd dispersement tools - though too-dangerous (lethal, made-in-China) tear gas was unwittingly used against Yellow Shirts last year. Have Thai tear gas supplies been replaced? Probably not, and that's why no tear gas has been used recently - for fear of more deaths from faulty product.

There are other more recently developed crowd dispersal tools available (sonic repellents, sticky goo, propelled nets, foul-smelling compounds, etc.). But Thailand is not expected to be at the vanguard of such things, though they may get the newer tools (from other countries) in perhaps ten to forty years from now.

Thai entrepreneurs could also see about inventing crowd dispersal gizmos, but that's not likely, as it's easier to either buy or copy such things from other countries who invent and develop them.

If thinghs get realy out of hand in my country and gas and waterspraying don't help, they send in the mounted anti-riot police. I guarantee you once the horses ride in at full speed and the mounted police using their battons, the street is cleaned up in 10 minutes.

So what does it look like when horses run full speed into the protesters? The only picture coming to my mind is Braveheart. How many ppl usually die when this happens?

The judges are not GOD.

In a juridical system you have always the right to appeal in an higher court, but at a certain moment there is a final verdict and you should accept it. I don't say you must agree, I say ACCEPT it.

Otherwise you can not have a functional society, but chaos and street justice

Do you really like to make Thailand some kind of OK Coral and have lynch parties. I refuse to believe that any sensible person want that.

How was the 9 judges in the current constitutional court appointed?

I agree 100% with what you say, as long as the court has not been politicized. Would the army still respect the court so much, if Thaksin got to appoint all the judges?

So what does it look like when horses run full speed into the protesters? The only picture coming to my mind is Braveheart. How many ppl usually die when this happens?

The imbroglio in Bkk are a classic example of the expression, "when push comes to shove." Actually, it still amazes me how much restraint the authorities are using, and how few deaths have come down. If I was in charge of the PM's security, for sure there would be more bloodied heads (on the red side).

The Reds are pushing hard, asking for trouble. It's not a matter of principle for them, it's an adrenaline-driven mob party, a sort of extension of songkran water throwing, public party madness. From babyhood, all Thais have their annual cyclic Songkran madness hard wired.

If horses and batons are effective crowd control, then so be it - if Thai authorities have the means to do so. However, I recall reading, about 8 years ago (Bkk Post), that the few horses the Bkk police had, weren't getting enough hay to eat properly. Ok, veering off topic, sorry. But the general theme remains: Thai authorities in general and Bangkok's in particular, need to develop systems/products that can effectively disperse unruly crowds.

It's not too late to start - and perhaps authorities will be somewhat ready for the subsequent uprising in, ....oh let's say, Songkran next year.

do u think the Thai Government should use the Malaysian style of doing this in these kinds of instances? I have seen crowds being dispersed with water cannons very successfully. and for the hardcore leaders, the ISA is the way to do it.

Not sure if its good or not what they do but would like to hear opinions about it.

They do once or twice a year when there are demonstrations and riots, till know nobody was killed yet.

But I can quarantee you when they charge in full speed, even the most brave demonstrator is running away.

I think most belgians understand what I mean

Needless to say this units are highly trained.

I posted this in another thread, but maybe it belongs here:

Just got back from a quick drive. One tank is out at the Army base in Phaholyothin Road. Saw a squad of Army solders with weapons at the base of Ari BTS.

And something is happening at Paragon. Two armoured personnel carriers, soldiers with weapons running around, lots of red shirts scrambling out of pickups and hundred of onlookers on the flyovers and at Siam BTS. I was driving and ran right into the middle of it as it was starting, and thankfully managed to get past it before it got blocked.

Red shirts are back at Victory Monument, waving red flags all around at the entrances.

Things aren't looking good....

Thanks for the update! Only farangs have the courage to be on the streets to see what is happening!Without such reports, other farangs would be lulled into thinking that

they are still celebrating songkran in Bangkok!

Well well.

Now i, for once, was present when the DEM guys came offering 200 Baht for every vote. No hear-say, i was right there, live, seen it with my very own eyes, and my girlfriend's uncle accepted the dosh. Fact.

Regarding PAD vs. Red, sure both are rent-a-mob but at least UDD wasn't violent from day one (They did not even enter Government Housr or capture airports). Also there it wasn't the crowd that turned violent in the later stages but their "poor citizens". Well, after a few shots had been fired against them by the army, what would you expect? Now who exactly launched grenades at the Red's? Army. Correct. Then that's the reason why they are violent.

Red mobs didn't kill anyone, while they had several killed by the PAD. Fact. The one idiot who ran over cops with a pickup was a PAD member, and everyone knew it. Even if he did not wear a yellow shirt!

By the way i am not saying (nor have i ever said) that Mark came to power was dodgy. However pretty much everything that came after it WAS. Dem's program initially was well thought out, but as soon as Mark had the power he did everything to make sure nobody else would ever get a slice of the cake again. Key power positions were given to PAD (Kasit for example), and Newin allies, etc; to further strengthen his power grip and to fill his bank accounts and once all that was in place, the rampant vote-buying started (2,000 Baht to buy 10 million vote each).

Isn't it funny that everything the red did is wrong, and what the yellow did is right.

THAT is why i want this to end quickly, before whole Bangkok goes up in flames (- what's next, take the airports??) The red wouldn't have done this, the reds do.

Wake up, see the truth.

First of al the PAD was peacefull from day 1, it's only later that there were violent clashes with PAD supporters. Remember PAD formed when Thaksin was still in power back in 2006, they dissolved after the coup and only came back near the end of the samark government.

The UDD was created after the coup and it's primary function at that time was to fight PAD, the violence with PAD supporters started with sporadic fights between UDD and PAD and later escalated to fights with government units.

Could you please provide a link to a news story about the launching of grenades into the red shirts, as i have not read that anywhere.

True that the reds have not killed anyone yet during this round of violence, but neither has the government. They have openly incited their supporters to harm Abhisit and attack the government.

Abhisit came to power through legal means, but he did have to concede key positions to newin's group in order for them to join the dems. This is not any different to what thaksin did during his reign, so you can't really blame abhisit, blame thai politics for allowing it to happen.

Yellow did wrong and red did wrong, personally i think yesterday red on balance did more wrong than PAD ever did. PAD while being thugs in their own right did atleast try too keep it together and did not start all out riots in the streets of bangkok.

The truth is that both sides are wrong and thai politics is strange, i just hope the reds can stop to see that they have gone way beyond what their enemy has ever done and stop their dangerous course of action before the point of no return has been reached

Hey.

@samgrowth

If you can't do better than copy MY posts and simply turn the meaning 180 degrees around then you shouldn't participate in a forum at all.

Right now Abhisit was on television with a speech, i got it translated only partly but seems the reds have set fire to a MOSQUE at Petchaburi Soi 7 and now the Muslims in that area have joined the fight! But AGAINST the reds.

What the heck are the reds up to, do they want to cause an all-out war in Thailand?? Do they hope by setting fire to mosques they can turn the Muslim community against the government, too? This can and will badly badly backfire.

@Osama B. Laden

Forget about the U.S. There's a person with a square face hiding somewhere in Dubai. Go and get him - his hired mob has just done something which you would not approve of.

Regards.....

Thanh

Well well.

Now i, for once, was present when the PPP guys came offering 200 Baht for every vote. No hear-say, i was right there, live, seen it with my very own eyes, and my boyfriend's uncle accepted the dosh. Fact.

Now someone mentioned something about "bar".... for info, i haven't been in one the past 8 years and don't see a reason to visit one the next 8 years. Because i don't drink a drop of alcohol. Fact.

Regarding PAD vs. Red, sure both are rent-a-mob but at least PAD wasn't violent from day one. Also there it wasn't the crowd that turned violent in the later stages but their "security" personnel. Well, after a few grenades had been launched against them what would you expect? Now who exactly launched grenades at the Red's yet? Nobody? Correct. Then why are THEY violent..???

PAD mobs didn't kill anyone, while they had several killed by the reds. Fact. The one idiot who ran over cops with a pickup wasn't even a PAD member, even though everyone quickly assumed so. At least he didn't wear a yellow shirt!

By the way i am not saying (nor have i ever said) that TRT's initial landslide victory was dodgy. However pretty much everything that came after it WAS. TRT's program initially was well thought out, but as soon as Thaksin had the power he did everything to make sure nobody else would ever get a slice of the cake again. Key power positions were given to close friends, class mates and family members, laws were changed to further strengthen his power grip and to fill his bank accounts and once all that was in place, the rampant vote-buying started. Making deals that saved millions and billions in unpaid taxes (laws just previously amended so that was even legal!) filled his offshore accounts so now he can continuously pay those red thugs, while the yellow ones relied on (and got!) support from the public.

Isn't it funny that everything the yellows did and about which the reds cried foul is now done by the reds, just a tad more violent?

THAT is why i want this to end quickly, before whole Bangkok goes up in flames (as they have one gas tanker in place already, and captured tanks too - what's next, fighter aircraft??) The yellows wouldn't have done this, the reds do.

Wake up, see the truth.

Thanh

Good post Thanh,

I really think that Taksin is his own worst enemy, He could have been a truley great PM, but he followed the herd and just tried to milk it for everything he could get, and why??, he already was a very rich man, how much can you spend in one lifetime?, If he had been true to the values he spouted on TV then he would (possibly) still be around today, instead, he tried to increase the wealth of the common man but at the same time made a mockery of the laws by enriching his family, and changing the laws when necessary.

regards

Freddie

I see horses and mounted police mentioned, one fire bomb will send those horses running with their tails between their legs. Mounted police are good against unarmed and non lethal protesters. People who use busses and molotov cocktails don't give a rats arse about mounted police. They are charging soldiers with m16s and armored personnes carriers with heavy machine guns. What is a horse gonna do?

Well well.

Wake up, see the truth.

Lol ,55555,

first your g/f uncle taking 200 baht from an individual who you claim represented the DEM party is far from proof of RAMPANT vote buying, and your claim that they are spending 20 BILLON BAHT (2000x10million) IS obviously untrue. or maybe you have seen it with your very own eyes too??

Try to stick to the facts and BTW it appears that the Red shirts are responsible for the first and only death in this conflict (a 50 year old man name Pom, who was shot and killed in Nang Lerng Market)

I think its time for you to Wake up and see the truth

So is not illegal if someone do the same at JFK or london airport for the same reason...really? or airport in our country follow differnt rules?

I want see you tomorrow try to do the same in one airport in your country...you can is not illegal ...come on show to us the truth!!!!

Funny how the law really caught up with the red shirts as soon as they breaks it.

Yellow, on the other side, doesnt need to fear that the law will catch up with them, PAD are above law after all.

As long as these people still do the double-standard, you can never hope for 'peace' in Thailand.

It's about time!

Where were the burning buses when PAD roamed the streets?

Where were the burning tyres?

Where were the gas tankers placed in front of apartment blocks and threatened to blow up?

Where were the hijacked military vehicles?

Where were the flying molotow cocktails?

Who smashed the PM's car windows and attacked his driver?

Who shot at uninvolved bystanders, on purpose and to kill..???

Strangely, when the red shirts roam the streets, you get all of the above..... which should tell a lot, but then there's people who still don't understand the difference between a molotow cocktail and a hand clapper.

And, once and for all, stop hiding behind the "airport" excuse. The PAD did never "take over" the airport. They went to the airport to protest, and the airport personnel symphatized with them (as did MANY public organizations!) and simply halted all operations. Nobody forced a single airport worker to stop performing their duty.

If the reds would have gone to the airport it would by now be thrashed and up in flames. The PAD even cleaned it before they left!

Regards....

Thanh

A fewMPs have been urging revolution and the hunting down of the PM, and the burning of various places. Wonder what action will be taken against them or if they still retain the right to vote in parliament

Wonder if PTP will expel them form its party. They didnt just attend a rally

I have worked here for 10 years, married to a Thai and have a house in Nakhon Phanom province.

The fact is that vote buying is endemic and systematic (the going rate, by the way is 500 TBT).

Furthermore, protestors are paid 500 TBT per day which is significantly more than they would normally earn.

In the North East, very many young people (particularly girls) have not had schooling after 13 years old. Even when they do, the standard of tuition is lamentable. In these circumstances, talk of democracy or the legitimacy of governments is meaningless. Frankly, a benign dictatorship is probably the best solution.

At least Abhisit is clearly an honourable man who is taking actions for the benefit of all such as free eduction for fifteen years.

Very disappointed to see the BBC giving Taksin the oxygen of publicity without any investigative journalism into his past......

It's about time!

Where were the burning buses when PAD roamed the streets?

Where were the burning tyres?

Where were the gas tankers placed in front of apartment blocks and threatened to blow up?

Where were the hijacked military vehicles?

Where were the flying molotow cocktails?

Who smashed the PM's car windows and attacked his driver?

Who shot at uninvolved bystanders, on purpose and to kill..???

Strangely, when the red shirts roam the streets, you get all of the above..... which should tell a lot, but then there's people who still don't understand the difference between a molotow cocktail and a hand clapper.

And, once and for all, stop hiding behind the "airport" excuse. The PAD did never "take over" the airport. They went to the airport to protest, and the airport personnel symphatized with them (as did MANY public organizations!) and simply halted all operations. Nobody forced a single airport worker to stop performing their duty.

If the reds would have gone to the airport it would by now be thrashed and up in flames. The PAD even cleaned it before they left!

Regards....

Thanh

Were the Reds violent before the army stepped in?

Did the army do anything when PAD seize the Government House and the airport? If the army did, would you think that PAD will remain "peaceful"?

Double Standard!!

:o

The PAD did never "take over" the airport. They went to the airport to protest, and the airport personnel symphatized with them (as did MANY public organizations!) and simply halted all operations. Nobody forced a single airport worker to stop performing their duty.

Regards....

Thanh

Their presence at the airport(s) disrupted operations which led to the cancellation of all flights. So they might as well have taken it over. I fail to see your point.

I don't know what condition the airports were in, but the Government House was a different story altogether. The PAD ransacked and totally wrecked the place. They looted and destroyed everything that was of any value. The worst part was the discovery of 'feces' painted on the walls inside many offices within the complex. Wow, some good house cleaning the PAD did there...

The PAD leaders should be in prison. Yes, this also includes Foreign Minister Kasit, that cockroach. The UDD is no exception; those leaders responsible for inciting violence should also be put behind bars.

Always knew they should have been colonised by the Brits and had some common sense and honesty knocked into them. You don;t get this sort of carry on in Singapore now do you?

I agree DragonFly. Iam not a Brit. However Iam sure if the Thais were colonized, they

would have alot more common sense :o . eg Malayasia,Singapore

Haha... yeah, and Cambodia, Vietnam, and Burma. Common sense indeed!

It is not specifically because of the British, but the fact that if people serve and obey God, there will be peace and harmony. :D

Yeah.

The reds smashed up cars and assorted other property WAY before the army was anywhere in sight. The army was called after the Pattaya fiasco (where the police, as so often, utterly failed to do their job).

The reds, as opposed to the yellows, were violent very much from the day they first appeared.

But then, they have an offshore paymaster who TELLS THEM TO BE VIOLENT and pays for execution of his commands, this is something the yellows didn't have (instead they were urged to stay calm and peaceful).

Regards....

Thanh (who's going on the road-trip back to Bangkok now, with the hope to reach there in one piece and with undamaged truck!)