What Should The Silent Majority Do To End The Crisis?

sbk

I just saw a video on Facebook (sorry don't know where it came from) of people in Bangkok fed up with red shirt protesters closing the road, they came out and moved them on. I also read about it on a Thai newspaper online.

While a short term solution, what should the regular Thai people do, those who are uninterested in the violence, to end this crisis? Is there anything they can do?

Who are the silent majority ? Mostly sympathetic to the Reds ?
It's a valid question actually. Can't say that I know the answer to that, I doubt anyone really knows. Makes me wonder if a new political party out there should seize the moment to introduce themselves! Law and order need to be restored first, I daresay concessions will be made in due course that invoke the ire of the other side(s) and it's back to square one all over again. Rinse and repeat. I'm begining to wonder if the only way an election will be accepted is if outside observers are brought in and they declare the results to be free and fair. Maybe a role for ASEAN? Just a thought.

I'm begining to wonder if the only way an election will be accepted is if outside observers are brought in and they declare the results to be free and fair.

I think that would be an excellent idea but I am doubtful as to how it would be received.

An offer from the European Union to help survey previous elections was turned down. Strong nationalism and thinking in terms of 'face' might preclude this from ever happening unless people have revised their thinking because of recent events.

Have not got a good answer to the original question.

And then some others put on some red shirts and joined.. .

Just saw Thaksin on CNN. Even Thaksin is now saying that a peaceful way forward should be sought. (By all parties, so inlcuding the Reds)

He also said the millitary killed many people but they removed the bodies, effectively 'disappearing' them. Photos were shown as well of soldiers firing horizontally, and of killed protesters. ugly ugly ugly. Abhisit can't possibly keep in power as if nothing happened now.

I am not sure what the point is of the previous post since it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

I think part of the problem here lies in the fact that most Thai people don't want to get involved and, as another poster pointed out, shrug their shoulders, say "not my problem" and let it go. However, when it directly affects their lives, like the people who have pushed the red shirts out of intersections, then they are willing to do something about it. Seems like human nature to me.

I think the phrase 'silent majority' was coined by that verbose clown, convicted felon Spiro T. Agnew, former VP of a small Latin American banana republic. :o

Silent folks often do not vote, are not active in politics, don't discuss it.

Actually said by President Richard ("I am not a crook") Nixon in a speech about the Vietnam...uhhmmm...police action.

I am not sure what the point is of the previous post since it has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Please re-read. I said "Others [of the SILENT MAJORITY that this post is about] will find some red shirts and join.

But in all honestly when you see the military firing horizontally into crowds than joining wouldn't be brave anymore, it'd be suicidal.

Just saw Thaksin on CNN. Even Thaksin is now saying that a peaceful way forward should be sought. (By all parties, so inlcuding the Reds)

He also said the millitary killed many people but they removed the bodies, effectively 'disappearing' them. Photos were shown as well of soldiers firing horizontally, and of killed protesters. ugly ugly ugly. Abhisit can't possibly keep in power as if nothing happened now.

what happened, Taxin seems to be losing so he is trying to save face by asking for a peaceful solution. :D:D

I think he is really trying to buy more time so he can come back again with same SH.....T. :o:D

Government should do what they are suppose to do restore order and then in future have a normal democratic election so people can decide and not rich, but again this is Thailand you can buy vote very cheap :D

Edited by mhatami

Firing 'into the air' = Live Rounds ~ intended as a warning

Firing 'horizontally' = Blank Rounds ~ intended to cause panic & force reds to withdraw

Think about it folks, they fired really hundreds, or even thousands, of Live rounds there would hundreds of wounded or dead .. absolutely no evidence of that whatsoever.

An offer from the European Union to help survey previous elections was turned down. Strong nationalism and thinking in terms of 'face' might preclude this from ever happening unless people have revised their thinking because of recent events.
I agree with your points, I just wonder whether there is too much division and that the only way these problems will get ironed out is if an intermediary is involved. Upon reflection I'm not so sure that ASEAN observers would be a good choice, I think it would probably have to be the UN. But, before all that happens there's the whole issue of the Constitution, I daresay some will want that re-written... what a mess! :o

If the silent majority did anything, then they would no longer be the silent majority ... there have been cases of local residents booing and driving out red shirts, but I think that most people are scared to do anything for fear of reprisals.

Please re-read. I said "Others [of the SILENT MAJORITY that this post is about] will find some red shirts and join.

But in all honestly when you see the military firing horizontally into crowds than joining wouldn't be brave anymore, it'd be suicidal.

They are joining: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...rng-intersectio

Local residents at Yommaraj, Nang Lerng intersections battle red-shirts

About 500 local residents near the Yommaraj Intersection gathered to confront the red-shirted protesters after they set fires on roads.

They clashed with the protesters after they protesters refused to put out the blazes they set to things used as barricades.

Meanwhile, vendors and local residents near the Nang Lerng Market gathered to form line to guard their properties and shouted at the red-shirted protesters.

They shooed away the protesters who threatened to slam their motorcycles at the local residents.

end of quote

they just have some small disagreement in which direction they should go....

I think the "silent majority", certainly those of Bangkok, are starting to make their voices heard.

He also said the millitary killed many people but they removed the bodies, effectively 'disappearing' them.

Does anybody even listen to this lying cretin (Thaksin not WTK)? Next he'll be harping on about "dark forces" moving against him.

I just saw a video on Facebook (sorry don't know where it came from) of people in Bangkok fed up with red shirt protesters closing the road, they came out and moved them on. I also read about it on a Thai newspaper online.

While a short term solution, what should the regular Thai people do, those who are uninterested in the violence, to end this crisis? Is there anything they can do?

I think that the Silent Majority should enroll Thaksin to their ranks.

Problem solved! :o

Firing 'into the air' = Live Rounds ~ intended as a warning

Firing 'horizontally' = Blank Rounds ~ intended to cause panic & force reds to withdraw

Think about it folks, they fired really hundreds, or even thousands, of Live rounds there would hundreds of wounded or dead .. absolutely no evidence of that whatsoever.

And in a crowed one bullet goes thru many bodies

Lest not forget that Bangkok is by and large yellow territory.. the main backers of PAD are from there (and the South), and they were the ones sticking flowers on tanks after the coup. You'd expect some clashes between the Reds and yellow elements in Bangkok. (who are probably a big majority there)

This is on youtube.... "UDD red shirts beaten off at Sathorn Bangkok"

The 'not so silent majority' finally making themselves heard. It would be nice to see more 'non-colour co-ordinated' Thais moving these people on.

Short term as in right now, I don't have the answer. Maybe just joining together and retaking their areas from the mob, be they Red, Yellow or Blue shirts.

Longer term I think the Thais could learn from the non-violent civil disobedience campaigns of Martin Luther King leading American Blacks and Ghandi leading Indians to stand up -peacefully- for their rights.

At the end of the day, its a Thai problem and will only change when ordinary Thais demand the rule of law, honest police, a fair distribution of wealth and transparent government.

Singapore did it, so can the Thais.

The "silent majority" should be given a voice.A place where they can freely express their opinions without fear of imprisonment or censorship for critising goverment ,judicary,royalty and corrupt practices of policeing and politicians if they are truthful and not racist or aggressive.Unfortuneately Thai State and military monopoly of the Thai media and internet restrict this.So if you want to hear what the "silent majority" has to say these restrictions must be lifted and all those corncerned about freedom of speech listened to.As to what the silent majority should do (as their democractic elected goverment was illegally removed)is protest.

Edited by dee123