Central Bangkok A War Zone

george

DAY OF INFAMY

Central Bangkok a war zone

Festive holiday is turned into a black nightmare

BANGKOK: -- The bloodstained start to Songkran - which transformed large swathes of downtown Bangkok into urban guerrilla war zones, leaving dozens of people wounded - was marked by the first shots around the Din Daeng triangle before dawn.

Less than an hour later, the crackle of sporadic live gunfire from soldiers could still be heard, alternating with angry shouts from red-shirted, anti-government Democratic Alliance against Dictatorship (DAAD) protesters who refuse to simply retreat.

DAAD leaders claim some red-shirt protesters were killed during the clashes.

The government has denied a report that officials covered up protesters' deaths by removing the bodies in a GMC truck. It cited reports by hospitals that no one receiving treatment for injuries died.

Everyone, including me, has to run for cover every now and then.

"There can be no end if no one wants to admit defeat," says a motorcyclist who volunteered to drop this reporter off at the nearby hotspot. He says he is an off-duty police officer and his wife and children are among the demonstrators.

Protesters curse the military for firing real, not rubber, M16 bullets at them. Some were aimed at the sky, others apparently not.

Not everyone is sympathetic with the pro-Thaksin Shinawatra reds, however.

"They deserve it," says Pairoj Somjaipeng, a cabby in the area who supports the People's Alliance for Democracy, the nemesis of the reds.

"Last night they carried wooden clubs and other weapons. I think what the military did was right. And nobody died," he says.

"I want to ask how the reds love the King ... I think they love Thaksin more," he says, referring to the frequent allegation that the reds are out to destroy the royal institution.

The military side is led by Lt-Colonel Chinnuphan Rodsiri, who commands 200 or so troops dispatched from Aranyaprathet on the Thai-Cambodian border.

A lone monk defies the 200 armed soldiers, stepping out to address them with a loudspeaker at 6.40am, just a few metres away from the troops. He urges the soldiers not to shoot at people.

"This area has become lawless," Chinnuphan complains to me. "They shut the roads down and search people. Even the Asean Summit [last weekend], which was the face of the country, wasn't spared. Everyone demands their rights but do not know their responsibilities."

Soon another monk emerges on the other side of the triangle as the jittery soldiers shout. "How can a monk carry guns" cries one, as the monk slinks away.

Some distance beyond the front line of soldiers, groups of reds sit in front of Santiphab Park, or Peace Park. "We only have rocks, bottles and slingshots," says one. The two bottles nearby are Molotov cocktails, however.

On the other corner of the triangle, protesters claim they saw a driver of a bus full of red protesters get shot and collapse while trying to run over soldiers before dawn.

"Please help us," pleads one lady, in despair. "Please don't allow them to die in vain."

The reds no longer believe in much of what most of the local media report, as they are convinced that the media are anti-Thaksin and conclude that the reports of deaths must have been covered up or censored.

Protesters here and at other locations appear to be acting at least semi-independently of the DAAD leaders who are still holding out at Government House with supporters.

And as the day progresses and more shootings are seen and heard, more Molotov cocktails are being prepared at various spots.

Public buses were set ablaze at several sites, accompanied by the sound of M16s firing. At least three LPG gas tankers were commandeered by protesters by afternoon, but disaster was avoided. The shootings, clashes and burnings were disastrous enough.

A DAAD leader who asked not to be named tells this writer in the afternoon that the torching of Bangkok is virtually inevitable. "They have all the stuff prepared and we can't control them. People died, but the media censored the fact."

Protesters fight and retreat, soldiers shoot and advance. Victory Monument was abandoned, Sri Ayutthaya Road retaken, but the protesters - portrayed by most Thai media as a paid mob - regroup and resist.

Would they have risked their lives for Bt500 or Bt5,000 on Thai New Year's Day

The skirmishes and retreats and regroupings go on well into the evening as protesters scatter to some dozen pockets in the 2 or 3 square kilometres of downtown Bangkok.

Most shopping malls shut down on their own.

"This is guerrilla warfare," one foreign journalist tells me as we watch a scene so surreal, as if it came straight from some apocalyptic movie. But it was all real.

Some children, oblivious to the chaos falling on the city, are still seen splashing water as they would on any Songkran.

For many others it was red blood that had splattered, mixed with tears, irritation, anger, desperation or shock, depending on whom you ask.

-- By Pravit Rojanaphruk/The Nation 2009-04-14

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Red-shirts use gas cylinders to surround rally site at Government House

Protesters placed several gas cylinders around the rally site at the Government House early Tuesday morning to prevent the troops from advancing to disperse them.

-- The Nation 2009-04-14

Troops set up checkpoints near Government House rally site

BANGKOK: -- Troops and police set up road checkpoints near the rally site at the Government House.

Police and troops at the checkpoints searched all passers-by and those who want to join the rally.

-- The Nation 2009-04-14

CITY RIOTS

US condemns Thai violence by pro-Thaksin protests

The United States on Monday condemned violence by red shirted protesters in Thailand and urged Americans visiting Bangkok to exercise caution.

State Department spokesman Robert Wood told US media the US is watching events "very closely" in Thailand, where pro-Thaksin protesters battled soldiers and Bangkok residents.

The United States condemned "this unacceptable violence by the protesters," Wood said.

He said the United States urged the "protesters and their leaders to foreswear additional... use of violence, to exercise their right to assembly, but... to do so... peacefully."

"Our desire to see tensions reduced and for there not to be violence -- that's something that certainly the government of Thailand knows is the position of the United States," he said.

The State Department warned citizens visiting Thailand that "demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence."

"American citizens are therefore urged to avoid the areas of demonstrations and to exercise caution anywhere in Bangkok," it said in a message to US travelers.

-- The Nation 2009-04-14

Follow the Breaking News here:

1. Sign up for Breaking Newsletter by email: http://www.thaivisa.com/353.0.html

2. Download our Toolbar for IE and Firefox: http://toolbar.thaivisa.com

3. Follow the Breaking News on Twitter: http://twitter.com/georgebkk

Abhisit says Govt nearly achieves goal to restore order

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva gave a live TV address, saying the government's mission to restore law and order is about to complete soon.

He said he is confident that with public support, the goal will be achieved within the Songkran holidays.

He also urged demonstrators, who genuinely fought for their political ideology, to return home so that the government could take action against wrongdoers.

The prime minister also urged the public to explain the truth to foreign media after the red-shirted movement tried to spread rumors that the government killed innocent demonstrators.

-- The Nation 2009-04-14

Taksin, the big lair

On BBC, He denied to be a person behind the protesting

BBC : Are you the man behind what we are seeing ? Are you orchestrating…. almost daily contact with your video links to your supporters?

Thaksin: yes ….no I would like to give them moral support …. I never I never I never instigating them… I want them to fight to get true democracy………….The poor cannot get help … .during my administration………..the poor feel like you know the democracy really mean to them

BBC : You're keep talking about democracy but this is the democratically elected government and these protesters are simply try to force out of the government thru their ways on the street and that is not democracy.

Thaksin: No no no they are really just protest ……if you look at the way the government come to power…. they form the government in the military barrack…..by the help of the army commander and also the privy councilors……

BBC : Would you like to return to the country, would you like to lead the country again? Is that what behind this?

Thaksin : No No No It is not really behind…. If I were to go back to the country… It should be for the good of the country………I am now happy outside…. I am not care going back or not…….but I am worry about the poor..I worry about the middle class people ..they need opportunities….. It should be democracy for all….

BBC : You of course were found guilty of corruption charges, would you consider going back try to clear your name?

Thaksin : No , I can clear my name easily…..I 've done nothing wrong…

The end of the all-too-messy demonstration is near.

Message from Bangkokians to Red Shirts: Go home.

And then what? Thaksin is not about to give up his goal of returning as the conquering hero to the adulation of his supporters to wreak his terrible revenge on those perceived to have acted against him. He would rather see Thailand slide back into the morass of poverty and tribalism than back off and let things be.

However the genie is out of the bottle and they've thrown away the stopper. If the reds win then democracy in Thailand is a dead issue, Thaksin will return and resume his rape and pillage of the country and it's resources. He will rewrite the constitution and laws to suit him and allow him to become president in perpetuity, supreme emperor, master of all. If the reds are driven out of Bangkok they will continue to be a nuisance force disrupting Thai life as and when they feel like it and it won't be long before they cotton on to the value of targetting tourists and foreign interests within the Kingdom.

[deleted]

This was a tongue in cheek suggestion but maybe it might prove more attractive in light of recent events.

So a few bottles get thrown, and a few idiots get shot and it's a war zone? A bit over the top...

Having worked in a war zone for the last 3 years I'd hardly call Bangkok a war zone....

The only thing on my mind now is.... how long until the baht reaches 40 THB : 1 USD?

PICTURE THIS............... This man loves this woman, but the woman doesn't love him because of what he stands for............ So the man kills the woman with one thought in mind........... IF I CAN'T HAVE HER, THEN NOBODY ELSE WILL HAVE HER.............. A very selfish motive......... AND this is exactly what the "RED SHIRTS" are doing to their........."beloved"........Thailand............ CAN YOU SEE THE COMPARISON?????????

Edited by sawadeeken

I saw this interview. Thaksin wouldn't give a straightforward answer to several straightforward questions. Thaksin could care less about democracy. This is all about the 70 billion baht in frozen assets he wants back, and Thaksin would scr_w his own mother to get it. Since she won't have anything to do with him, he's scr_wing Thailand instead.

One of the main reasons Taksin wants the reds to win is so he can come back, clear his name and get his 61 billion baht the goverment has frozen.

As usual in Thailand... its all about the money and power and he wants both

Democracy was never an issue

Songkran is and was famous that everything pauses - even wars (eg. Burmese) were paused - but usually not ended.

True Words! It is not common to start wars and revolutions just before the holidays - except you want to create something memorable like a 'Bloody Songkran'..... Is Thakisn trying to come back at all costs?

Nobody in his right mind can tell me that it was not foreseeable that this "Revolution" would only end in the death of innocent people. This is very sad and my thoughts this morning are with the families of those who had to loose their lifes to bring this tragedy to an end. Songkran will never be the same for them!

Most unfortunate is as well that one of the funniest holidays in the whole world and a great tourist attraction will have a bitter taste and a bad memory attached for many people for years to come.

As usual in Thailand... its all about the money and power and he wants both

Yes, that's a uniquely Thai problem, isn't it? World Wide Economic Crisis ring any bells? I suppose there's some way you can blame that on Thai politicians too.

Message to the red shirts from an angry resident!

Leave us alone with your red B_S_

You are wrong!

Abhisit has earned RESPECT from the world for handling this red anarchy and violent booze stampede with utmost caution to avoid blood in the streets what you

want to see! Thailand is not the world. READ and WATCH what the world has to say! There's a world behind the Thai border!

You can be proud of your Fuhrer who was stuttering. lying and whining on TV last night.

Leave us alone with your red B_S_, we want peace!

Edited by webfact

Some are asking WHY?

I don’t have the answer but I can say that the rural poor want the elite out and new elections. Which will produce more of the same kind of politicians they have now.

The story is “same soup different bowel” :D

Taksin did unite the warring parties under TRT and gave interest free loans, lowered prices of fertilizer and seed and guaranteed loans to the farmers so they would not have to resort to pawing their land and eventually loosing it to the elite that controlled farm commodity prices. :o

Easy buy for him and he did not have to spend his money!

Then the Taksin family felt themselves above the law. We all know the rest of that story.

So my only answer would be

"If money be not your servant, it will be your master. The covetous man cannot so properly be said to possess wealth, as that may be said to possess him. “Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.” "Money corrupts and secret money corrupts absolutely.

Sorry I forget who made these quotes but they seem to fit.

I will start a new movement the "Red flip flops" I just bought my pair :D

Edited by meelousee

Some are asking WHY?

I don't have the answer but I can say that the rural poor want the elite out and new elections. Which will produce more of the same kind of politicians they have now.

The story is "same soup different bowel" :D

Taksin did unite the warring parties under TRT and gave interest free loans, lowered prices of fertilizer and seed and guaranteed loans to the farmers so they would not have to resort to pawing their land and eventually loosing it to the elite that controlled farm commodity prices. :o

Easy buy for him and he did not have to spend his money!

Then the Taksin family felt themselves above the law. We all know the rest of that story.

So my only answer would be

"If money be not your servant, it will be your master. The covetous man cannot so properly be said to possess wealth, as that may be said to possess him. "Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely." "Money corrupts and secret money corrupts absolutely.

Sorry I forget who made these quotes but they seem to fit.

I will start a new movement the "Red flip flops" I just bought my pair :D

I would argue that what the "rural poor" want is a better life for themselves and their kids.

In all the debate - especially coming from the red side - I hardly see any mention of anything except what the UDD/Thakisn call "democracy"

Why don't the reds talk about improving the living standards of poor Thais ?

Simple.

They don't have any policies.

Well, maybe I'm wrong on that, but that's not what geniuses like Jakrapob talk about when they are interviewed in English. He still goes on in his shrill way, about "democracy", LM and so on. But I never hear him say, the reason he is in this, is to improve the lives of the poor rural Thais. Nor, for that matter, do I hear such utterances from the 3 wise monkeys or any of the others.

Perhaps they do mention these things at the rallies?

If so, their PR machine needs an overhall.

I agree with some of the more intelligent remarks. Calling Central Bangkok a "War Zone" is totally irresponsible, and just like the World Press, they are sensationalising what is actually going on here. It is erupting in a few very isolated areas. Yes, of course it's serious, but let's get real. This type of reporting as always will cause Thailand more damage than is actually being done by the limited violence itself. We need to help Thailand get through this, and scaring off what limited tourists are actually currently heading our way will do massive harm, countless lost jobs etc. etc.

I hope these crazy headlines stop soon and people realise what damage they are doing, the irresponsible people that write this stuff are not much better than the demonstrators themselves basically.

Edited by RobbM

So a few bottles get thrown, and a few idiots get shot and it's a war zone? A bit over the top...

Having worked in a war zone for the last 3 years I'd hardly call Bangkok a war zone....

The only thing on my mind now is.... how long until the baht reaches 40 THB : 1 USD?

I am not worried about the money in my pocket at a time like this, I worry about the Children and Babies at the demonstration. I hope none get hurt !!!

man this situation is not getting better either,

bloody red shirts, why cant they just enjoy the newyears,

i am sure the toll of people being arrested and perhaps injured will nearly surpass the drink driver matter that was so pronounced earlier.

seems like no one cares about drink driving anymore.

the red shirts have no idea how bad they are effecting the economy, and tourism, its rather sad that everytime something starts to go well again,

some shit happens that downturns everything.

Edited by philipm

Are the Reds paid 500B a day to demonstrate? Here Thaksin makes it clear

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/specials/n...7&cateid=13

Wow, Thaksin makes it VERY clear. So true and >>> "Ooops big time Grandpa" --- what a blooper!!!

Obviously an accidental slip, but it could have been twice as embarrassing for him because >>>> in some cases according to some Bkk taxi drivers yesterday, the going rate is 1000B a day, and same with other posts we have read.

Maybe many are getting double pay by "lining up" (Thaksin's words) --- twice :o

Oh well; Business is business.

Overall, how sad and embarrassing for Thailand; such lovely gentle people, mostly.

May there be peace again in Thailand and to revert back to the "Land Of Smiles".

there is no doubt about money being offered to protestors, my friend was in a hair salon on bkk 3 days ago and they offered her 500 baht to join, she would have to leave her I.D card with them and report to someone. They must act as agents i guess. How can anyone believe the red shirts are genuine in their beliefs when they are gettting paid for it!