Food Items Allow Into Thailand?

mikemellow

Traveling soon to see thai GF and she wants me to bring her some Hersheys chocolate bars and some boxed foods sold in ethic food stores here in the USA such as Falafel, Hummus, and Indian Dhal. Are these items allowed into the kingdom or will trying to bring them cause me some problem

My wife has become a master chef of different common American cuisines. Her Thai cooking is pretty lousy but that is a different story... Her mother has visited us as well, and old grandma has developed a taste for a few things. My wife always fills two big boxes of food and takes them with her to Thailand. Everything from eggs, cheese, cookies, jam, honey, bread, cereal, etc. Never had a problem.

My wife has become a master chef of different common American cuisines. Her Thai cooking is pretty lousy but that is a different story... Her mother has visited us as well, and old grandma has developed a taste for a few things. My wife always fills two big boxes of food and takes them with her to Thailand. Everything from eggs, cheese, cookies, jam, honey, bread, cereal, etc. Never had a problem.

I can see all of those except for eggs.  I think Thai eggs are much better tasting than eggs typically available in the West.

When people say they've never had a problem, it doesn't mean it is legal. Are you saying you've brought this stuff into Thailand and went through the Red "something to declare" customs line?

When my wife and I come BACK from Thailand, she fills our bags with stuff she claims she cannot get in the US and it really irritates me. Most of the stuff is available but it simply more expensive. I'm the type that prefers to pay extra in the US rather than less in Thailand and have the hassle of dealing with overweight luggage.

I can see all of those except for eggs.  I think Thai eggs are much better tasting than eggs typically available in the West.

Hi. My wife and her mother love American pancakes, with Canadian maple syrup of course. Made with local butter, milk and eggs. We also live among a lot of small farms, we have a farm of our own too. We have neighbors with chickens, beautiful big healthy chickens, and they produce these gorgeous fresh eggs. So my wife has taken all of these pancake materials. She buys a lot of different mixes too. She has taken all kinds of foods to Thailand. These are things with not much value. I have never considered that it is necessary to declare $75 worth of food. The maple syrup does get expensive though. We always buy the best for our Thai family. She also takes various cooking oils. What else... Pistachios. 5, 10, even 20 lbs of pistachios. My mother in Thailand likes "Honey Nut Cheerios" too. Sometimes I look and there are three or four big Honey Nut Cheerios boxes getting packed up. The other thing that comes to mind are coffee flavorings.

I can see all of those except for eggs. I think Thai eggs are much better tasting than eggs typically available in the West.

Hi. My wife and her mother love American pancakes, with Canadian maple syrup of course. Made with local butter, milk and eggs. We also live among a lot of small farms, we have a farm of our own too. We have neighbors with chickens, beautiful big healthy chickens, and they produce these gorgeous fresh eggs. So my wife has taken all of these pancake materials. She buys a lot of different mixes too. She has taken all kinds of foods to Thailand. These are things with not much value. I have never considered that it is necessary to declare $75 worth of food. The maple syrup does get expensive though. We always buy the best for our Thai family. She also takes various cooking oils. What else... Pistachios. 5, 10, even 20 lbs of pistachios. My mother in Thailand likes "Honey Nut Cheerios" too. Sometimes I look and there are three or four big Honey Nut Cheerios boxes getting packed up. The other thing that comes to mind are coffee flavorings.

I agree with Daveh....almost everything I see mentioned here I have found in at least one of the stores in Chiangmai (including your items, Mikemellow) so why bring them, why burden yourself with the weight and potential customs hassles. Yes, they may cost more with the import duties, but..... I always preferred to bring the old clothes, for example, that the poorer relatives will get years of use out of rather than food items.

ASIDE: I find the European chocolate available here so much better than the cheap Hershey bars.

Edited by noise

When I came back from South Africa on my last trip, my bag was stuffed with food items, I had at least 2kg of Biltong (Dried meat) and I went to the red channel. The officer on duty simply glanced at the items and told me to go through the green channel. She said they are not interested in food items.