Apple Mac To Get Or Not

noctambule

I am Thinking of buying my first Apple Mac computer ( Mac Mini or eMac )

and would like to see the osx in use , is there any one living in the Pattaya area who is running the osx and would be willing to let me see the osx in action , The new Mac Mini looks a good way to start down the Mac road , Are Mac's as good as it seem's or is it all Hype..? any comments / advice on going down the Mac road would be welcome

Thanks.....

I'm a long-time Mac user (since 1984) and would be glad to answer any questions you have.

The mini is a pretty good deal, especially if you already have a monitor. If you already have a USV keyboard/mouse, even better.

The mini uses laptop technology: 2.5" hard drive, less powerful video display circuitry. However, in bench tests against more powerful machines, it has done very well. It is certainly worth considering unless you're doing work that requires faster video or very fast hard disk throughput.

See this review.

The eMac is also a fine machine and the 30,000 baht price can't be beat.

The Mac vs. PC arguments are endless. People who like PC's tend to stick by them. People who like Mac's are fanatics. I like Mac's.

IMHO Mac's have superior hardware and better quality control than most PC's. You pay for that quality. I also think that the Mac OS is easier to use and better designed than other OS's out there. The current Mac OS (OS/X) is based on BSD Unix, a very solid OS that almost never crashes.

In 20+ years of using Mac's I have never had to resort to the "reformat and reinstall" solution that seems to be the suggested cure-all of most Windoze problems.

Perhaps the most telling endorsement of Mac's. My Thai GF was a Windoze user when we met and had a near-new Sony VAIO. After using my iMac for a few weeks, she junked the VAIO and ordered herself a brand new Mac PowerBook. She loves it and will never go back to the PC world.

As for seeing Macs in action, how about the Apple store on the 4th floor of Siam Discovery Center?

Hi, Thanks for the comments ive just been looking at the eMac prices '''

eMac Combo Drive

1.25GHz G4

256MB DDR333 SDRAM

40GB ultra ATA drive

ComboDrive

approx price in Thailand ............................... 30,500 Baht + 7% tax = 31.993 Baht

up grade prices

256 RAM = 2,500 Baht

512 RAM = 3,900 Baht

1GB RAM = 10,500 Baht

80GB HD = 2,50 Baht

120 HD = 3,700 Baht

160GB HD = 4,300 Baht

The basic eMac price looks ok, but i think I would go with an upgrad to ...

Basci machine = 31.933 Baht

512 RAM = 3,900 Baht

160GB HD = 4,300 Baht

---------------

40,133 Baht

---------------

As i don't want to burn DVD's the combo Drive should be ok. I think for 40,133 Baht this machne looks a good buy..?

As for the Mac Mini ... the prices are ......

G4/1.25 GHz

DDR 256MB/40GB/ComboDrive = 21,500 Baht + 7% =23.000 Baht

G4/1.42 GHz

DDR 256MB/80GB/ComboDrive = 25,500 baht + 7% = 27,285 Baht

upgrade

512 RAM = 2,850 Baht

1GB RAM = 12,350 Baht

80GB HD = 1,900 Baht

Basic G4/1.42 GHz

plus upgrade ... 512 RAM = 2,850 Baht ..................... = 2,850 Baht

----------------

30,135 Baht

Hi Sorry for some reason not all of my last post made it ..here it is again ( I hope )

Hi, Thanks for the comments ive just been looking at the eMac prices '''

eMac Combo Drive

1.25GHz G4

256MB DDR333 SDRAM

40GB ultra ATA drive

ComboDrive

approx price in Thailand ............................... 30,500 Baht + 7% tax = 31.993 Baht

up grade prices

256 RAM = 2,500 Baht

512 RAM = 3,900 Baht

1GB RAM = 10,500 Baht

80GB HD = 2,50 Baht

120 HD = 3,700 Baht

160GB HD = 4,300 Baht

The basic eMac price looks ok, but i think I would go with an upgrad to ...

Basci machine = 31.933 Baht

512 RAM = 3,900 Baht

160GB HD = 4,300 Baht

---------------

40,133 Baht

---------------

As i don't want to burn DVD's the combo Drive should be ok. I think for 40,133 Baht this machne looks a good buy..?

As for the Mac Mini ... the prices are ......

G4/1.25 GHz

DDR 256MB/40GB/ComboDrive = 21,500 Baht + 7% =23.000 Baht

G4/1.42 GHz

upgrade

512 RAM = 2,850 Baht

1GB RAM = 12,350 Baht

80GB HD = 1,900 Baht

Basic G4/1.42 GHz

plus upgrade ... 512 RAM = 2,850 Baht ..................... = 2,850 Baht

----------------

30,135 Baht

---------------

* The wired apple keyboard and mouse is ................... 2,204

* The wirless apple keyboard = mouse is ...................... 3,762

All prices approx

So if my budget to buy a new computer would be 40,000Baht, it looks as if the eMac win's ...? does any one know if you place an order for a Mac machine here in Thailand requesting an upgrade , would the machine come direct from Apple with the upgrade done , or would the Apple shop do it here in Thailand..?

The answer may change my idea about buying an Apple Mac.

Thank You

Hi pluto_manibo,

Sorry but I am a bit of a new comer with computers , can you please be a bit more specific do you mean that I won't be able to buy any software for an Apple computer here in Thailand..? if that's so may be I should look at another brand ...?

may be you have saved me from a big future problem, ... Thanks

If you want a Mac buy a Mac, but don't do it based on price. I just browsed Tukcom and you can get a very usable PC for 12,000 including monitor these days. Only reason Macs are so expensive is they use proprietary hardware. If they'd open up the architecture they could start competing on which OS is the best. I don't doubt for a second OSX runs circles around Win.

As you probably know you can buy any pirate software you like here for 120-150 baht per CD, a bit more for DVD's - but only Windows software available. Never seen any Mac software, but Mac users are very dedicated to their God so they would never use pirated software anyway. :o

Edited by madsere

If you want a Mac buy a Mac, but don't do it based on price.  I just browsed Tukcom and you can get a very usable PC for 12,000 including monitor these days.  Only reason Macs are so expensive is they use proprietary hardware. If they'd open up the architecture they could start competing on which OS is the best. I don't doubt for a second OSX runs circles around Win.

As you probably know you can buy any pirate software you like here for 120-150 baht per CD, a bit more for DVD's - but only Windows software available. Never seen any Mac software, but Mac users are very dedicated to their God so they would never use pirated software anyway.  :o

There IS Mac software available. Have a look at Fortune Town or Pantip.

I have a Powerbook with OSX 10.3 running in Pattaya, PM me in case you still need to check out the OS.

Pirated Software is available in Bangkok (Fortune Town is the best place to go)

Go for the Mac; I have two Notebooks (Dell Latitude with Windows XP, and the Powerbook.) I prefer Mac by far!

Sunny

Hi , Thanks for all the comments, if software for Apple Mac computers is difficult to find here in Thailand, does that mean there's not much software on the internet for Apple Mac that can be downloaded..?

Ive not yet had a good look around any IT shops / Mall's ( Pattaya) just to see how much softwear for Apple Mac there is about. from comments ive seen, some people seem to be a bit Anti Mac, as a new commer to computers could some one please explain for me why Apple Mac's seem to not have a larger following, and also draw some Anti Mac feelings with some PC users...?

My own newbie views are that Apple Mac's seem to be well made, well supported and have what seem's a good back up customer service system. So why don't more people have Apple Mac's at home..? There must be some thing I am missing ...what is it ..? I know they are more expensive than the normal PC, but it's normally you get what you pay for , or with Apple is it...? I am just trying to get an overall view of what would be in store for me if I buy an Apple Mac.

Thanks again

Hi people,

Thanks for all the info on this thread. Been curious about Apple now for a few months, especially since the release of the Mac Mini.

I've been a software engineer for PC's (completely Win32) now for the past 8 years, and although I know this will never change, I'm curious to know what the buzz is about. This thread has provided me with more than enough info on "getting started" within Thailand.

Funny that all the electro-musicians I know out here, both Thai and Farang alike, swear 100% by Mac's. Is this down to stability of the software, quality of the audio hardware, or a good combination of both?

Cheers,

Insight

Hi Insight, Ive been also curious about Apple Mac's for a time now, It would be great to hear from Mac users , to give us the " real deal" all I keep hearing is ...

IF YOU CHANGE TO AN APPLE MAC .... YOU WILL NEVER GO BACK ..?

they must be good if you " NEVER " go back...? So what am I missing not buying a Mac

Cheers.............

I just got one and LOVE IT!

My other Mac was destroyed when the wave crashed through my house. But thats Another story :o

Apple care doesn’t cover tsunamis!! :D

What I wanted to say is the great service and support I have received from cg computers in Penang.

I’ve now bought two Mac from them over the last 3 years and they are really helpful and their English is super.

http://www.cgcomputers.com/

Why I prefer Mac over Windows (I currently have both running at my home in Pattaya):

They are easier to understand and to maintain.

There are no (or almost no) virus dangers.

The Software, especially for creative use (Music, Video Editing, Foto, ....) is much more thought out as well as easier to use.

(But Software for business use, including MS Office with full data compatibility with the Windows World) exists as well, and is usually great stuff.

As basically all Hardware is built and maintained by one Company, there are no (almost no) incompatibility issues.

MacOS X is by far the most elegant, as well as most sophisticated OS on the market.

Downsides:

Not a lot of Games on the Market.

The one-button mouse, which means you have to use the Keyboard as well as the mouse most of the time. But you can use most MS mice on the market as well, OSX has right button functions (context menus) built in.

Well, that's about it, for me.

Why no more people have Mac? I don't know.

Sunny

The Mac issue coems down to this for most I think $$$$

Me, I'm a mac user, always have been and always will be, but when it comes to raw dollars, its just a lot more. That said, there's always been the line fo thought too that if you want a PC to perform like a MAC, by the time you get the upgrades and hardware, you're in for nearly the same.

But for the average, non-video/graphics/music editing user, a PC is just fine. Certainly, if your entire ambition or usage is text documents adn the internet, a MAC is way overkill. Perhaps the new Mini-Mac changes that, but for anything above it, I'd say that holds fairly true.

But, as has been said, ###### near virus proof, crash proof, idiot proof and more importantly. lack of computer expertise is not an obstacle to using it. Me, I've got the G4 Tower and an iBook. I'll probably get suckerd into the new iMac soon enough too. But I'll be happy with the $$$ spent.

Just a thought..... If I purchased an Apple Mac from a Apple supplier here in Thailand and requestad an up grade ( Memory + HD ) do you think that the upgrade would be done by the Apple supplier here in Thaialnd or would that supplier order the maching from the factory with the upgrade done,

The reason I ask is if the up grade is done here by the local supplier , as we all know some times the workmanship / details could be a littel better ...? and has any one had any experiences with buying from an Apple Supplier here in Thailand..? Thanks again

good luck finding software for it!!! :D

What a silly [and obviously Mac-naive] thing to say. :o

You can find about 33,000+ programs for Macs here: http://www.versiontracker.com/

which give you the ability to do [better] virtually anything a PC can do.

People in the know speak of the elegant intuitiveness of the User Interface that is OS X.

This concept takes a lot of time to convey normally, that being said, here is a very good page that details the possibilites and contains a lot of implications concerning the high level of integration which *all* programs on the OS encompass:

http://www.theappleblog.com/2004/11/28/bes...taying-in-sync/

I *switched* around April 2001. I sat on the fence for a long time [6 months nearly] as I worried about facing issues such as a new OS learning curve, having to buy new software, what I would lose in PC apps., lose in PC functionality, etc.

Well, it's been awhile now and, I can say without reservation it has been a delight to have *switched*!

Only two things you discover you lost after all is said and done:

1) MS Access [lest of course you purchase VirtualPC]

and

2) PC induced viral/malware/spyware headaches.

Some people argue that Macs cost more than PCs. That is a fallacy! In almost all instances Macs contain more technology than comparably priced PCs do. Do some research into Firewire, Bluetooth 2.0, 802.11G, DVD burners and compare what the "same" priced PC offers- you will discover not only less technology bundled therein to the PC, but a poorer form of integration in the PC as well. Sleep mode is a good example- when I am done computing I simply close the lid and off I go. Opening up my notebook and I'm computing again. XP version of sleep is not the same thing.

Apple's Rendevous is one great example of superior technology- I can move through a dozen different countries and as many wired and/or wireless net cafes and have to do nothing other than plug in, and/or open my notebook, and I'm online, surfing away. I've had PC users ask me 'if' and 'how' I got online in the locale du jour- but I can't help them- since Rendevous did it effortlessly. Seen more than a few scratch heads and walk away frustrated. Once, while in a Tokyo hotel, off the lobby, there were two advertised ISPs offering online access. I made an inquiry but it looked a bit steep price wise. Decided to sit down and check out what Rendevous could do. Lo and behold there were three Wi-Fi networks within range there. Which one did Rendevous assign itself to, do you suppose? If you guessed the *one* open/free network you are correct! It's moments like those that make you smile 'in the know' at the elegance of OS X. Put a price on that!

Better still, you have a fair amount of those moments and none of the viral/malware/spyware headaches.

But for the average, non-video/graphics/music editing user, a PC is just fine. Certainly, if your entire ambition or usage is text documents adn the internet, a MAC is way overkill. Perhaps the new Mini-Mac changes that, but for anything above it, I'd say that holds fairly true.

I'm a bit incredulous at this rational unless you're esposing Linux on PC. :o Why should a normal Joe have to suffer through the nightmare of constantly managing their system to ward off the latest spyware/malware/viral threats? Answer: They shouldn't! As far as I am aware Phishing is unheard of on Linux and OS X. Not so with XP on PC.

People running XP on PC are forced by the platform to spend too much time on system maintenance and upkeep- and if they aren't they are very likely operating partial slave machines that propagate viruses via backdoors- and less time using their machines to their satisfaction.

I would say to "the average, non-video/graphics/music editing user"-- figure out just what you want to spend and either buy that price-point in a Mac or switch to SuSe 9.2, Ubuntu, or some other newer flavor of Linux on PC. And end the headaches!

I've been a Mac user since mid 2002, having never even touched one, let alone used one before I made the switch.

Yes, there is plenty of software, and a lot of it is free or genuine shareware, meaning you can try it for a limited time in fully functional mode to see if you want to buy it. If you don't want to buy it there are many ways around this, including Panthip etc, deleting the app's (program's) 'preferences' file to reset the demo period. Or there is one particular site on the net that allows you to get almost any available Mac app for free. I cannot give the name here but any google search for Mac & Serial will be rewarding, I assure you :o

You can use any (two or more button) USB mouse or keyboard, not just MS ones. Even if it says 'PC only' on the box it will work. I have never, ever found a mouse that didn't, and I've tried a few. Ditto keyboards. And monitors.

OS X is a beautifully elegant OS, and it very easy to use. It also allows you to run unix programs on it too, and contains a built in web server (Apache).

Macs are designed to work straight out of the box. They ship with a very nice selection of software from both Apple and 3rd party manufacturers.

And one thing that doesn't often get mentioned is the wonderful Mac community on the Internet. Help forums will offer you very good help, and as mentioned before there is an ethic of 'share the wealth' that abounds.

Last time I paid for any Mac app was, hmmm, in June 2002 :D

they must be good if you " NEVER " go back...?  So what am I missing not buying a Mac

Cheers.............

As good as OS X is now it will take a major evolutionary step forward very soon. This 'why' is hard to convey if you don't actually have access to the machines, since intuitiveness is a subtle thing in and of itself, wouldn't you agree?

Therefore, I suggest you explore this link from Apple and see what is in store for OS X capabilities soon: http://www.apple.com/macosx/

All the grandiose features that Microsoft had orginially envisioned for Longhorn [but have since dropped one by one] shuld be ecplised by this new version of OS X.

I'm a bit incredulous at this rational unless you're esposing Linux on PC. :o Why should a normal Joe have to suffer through the nightmare of constantly managing their system to ward off the latest spyware/malware/viral threats? Answer: They shouldn't! As far as I am aware Phishing is unheard of on Linux and OS X. Not so with XP on PC.

People running XP on PC are forced by the platform to spend too much time on system maintenance and upkeep- and if they aren't they are very likely operating partial slave machines that propagate viruses via backdoors- and less time using their machines to their satisfaction.

I would say to "the average, non-video/graphics/music editing user"-- figure out just what you want to spend and either buy that price-point in a Mac or switch to SuSe 9.2, Ubuntu, or some other newer flavor of Linux on PC. And end the headaches!

That was why I said perhaps the Mini-Mac. Look, I'm a Mac disciple, but I get the downside as well. I'd hazard a guess that were it not for the different difficulties of surfing the internet or loading the latest piece of crap from Microsoft, most computers are way overdone for the average use they experience.

Games and I guess the internet get heavy usage. Beyond that, so most peopel really utilize their computers even 10% of what they are capable of? If not, then a Mac just becomes a very beautfiul car. If you can afford the price tag, tis a great thing, but if not, ordinary still gets the job done.

I am in the market for 4 mini Macs and nearly fell over backwards when Apple Thialand told me the price over here.. more than $100 plus dollars more than the unit in the USA

So if you want a great deal purchase your apple Mini Mac in either the US or Hong Kong and ship it to Thailand and you'll save a small fortune

When I get together with my best mate in Pattaya, we both have laptops

I have a nice white Ibook, he has the silver and black Acer

Now which one you think draws the girls in

From camera to computer to Movie on the Mac 10 mins

My mate well I think he's still working on it

So please buy windows laptops

Send more thai ladies to me

Be wary of shipping anything in to Thailand. You may well get hit with import duty and if you don't pay it, you cannot collect your item.

I bought a simple electronic organiser (online) from the states a few years ago ($25 or so) and had to pay B 200 to collect it.

So if that was about 20% import duty, the price of a new Mac will skyrocket to maybe more than it would have cost here anyway.

The safest way is to personally carry it through customs yourself, and with small / portable stuff the chances are you will be OK, but it is not unheard of to ask people to produce proof of purchase.

Hi Again , thanks for the comments I am starting to get the picture on the " Mac " way of things can any one comment on this....

..... If I purchased an Apple Mac from a Apple supplier here in Thailand and requestad an up grade ( Memory + HD ) do you think that the upgrade would be done by the Apple supplier here in Thaialnd or would that supplier order the maching from the factory with the upgrade done,

The reason I ask is if the up grade is done here by the local supplier , as we all know some times the workmanship / details could be a littel better ...? and has any one had any experiences with buying from an Apple Supplier here in Thailand..?

Thanks ..... Vam

Okey... I checked out the list of new things for the next release of OS X.. without exception these are "new" things that I'm either already using (on a Windows PC) or things that I've tried and decided were extremely annoying. (The 'dashboard' widgets come to mind :D )

Other things.. Sync... will it Sync my Nokia Symbian phone? Last time I checked Nokia doesn't supply a Mac application.

Safari RSS... already built into Thunderbird.. (Free, www.mozilla.org)

Mail... use 'smart folders' .. I bet that's pretty much what GMail has been offering for about a year now.

Spotlight "Search and find anything".. hello: www.copernic.com Been using it a couple of months, as this one is actually useful. It's free of course.

Automator ....... == Macros... I'm not that much of a geek to try to automate everything, and I do very few repetitive tasks.

Parental controls and stuff for disabled people... Cool.

Quicktime .. Available for Windows just the same but I rarely use it.

So.. that's about covers it. Anyway I'm not saying these additions are bad, of course not. But when you're saying "All the grandiose features that Microsoft had orginially envisioned for Longhorn [but have since dropped one by one] shuld be ecplised by this new version of OS X." that's just silly. All things listed on that page above are user front-end application things, nothing at all to do with a major OS revision. Longhorn when it arrives will of course also be bundled with more useless goodies and 3D eye-candy that MS will tout around as the greatest thing since sliced bread, but we all know that Longhorn is about an internal rework/rewrite of the OS.

Anyway, these days I think most operating systems are good. (With the exception of Linux which is still H E L L to set up. :o (Had a look again a couple of weeks ago). I've used Macs and I do like them. They crash too of course; nothing man-made is perfect. The OS is probably least likely to crash, but applications (i.e. the things you actually work in) still lock up and/or crash. But I do like Macs, I might even own one if I didn't need Windows for my work.

So... If you don't have a solid reason to get a Windows computer (Games.. :D Then get one!!! They're cheap, they're cute, they're like a golden retriever puppy at Chatuchak. :D Who cares they're 3800 baht more than in the US, the US$ is not what it used to be. I seriously doubt you'd regret getting one.

Cheers,

Chanchao

Edited by chanchao