Chiang Mai 'red Shirts' Begin Surrendering To Police

WinnieTheKhwai

i_redarrow.gifChiang Mai 'Red Shirts' begin surrendering to police CHIANG MAI, April 22 (TNA) – Red-clad anti-government protesters in the northern province of Chiang Mai began surrendering to police Wednesday after arrest warrants were issued for instigating chaos in the province.

Phetchawat Wattanapongsirikul, a “Love Chiang Mai 51” group leader, on Wednesday surrendered to police at Saraphi and then again at Mae Ping police station on a separate warrant.

At Saraphi police station, Mr. Phetchawat was freed after Sa-nguan Wongmanee used his post as a member of parliament from Lamphun province as surety to bail him out.

Meanwhile, Mr. Phetchawat along with Kanyaphak Maneechak and Phumjai Chaiya, disc jockeys at a Chiang Mai community radio station, is scheduled to surrender to police at Phupingrajanivej police station on Thursday.

Following the issuing of the arrest warrants, Mr. Phetchawat was charged with illegal assembly of more than 10 people, with creating a public disturbance, and with inciting the crowd to violate the law.

Mr. Phetchawat and other UDD supporters also blocked roads in Saraphi and Mae Ping districts during Songkran, the Thai New Year period.

They also blocked the entrance to the Chiang Mai International Airport during the official visit of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva on April 4.

The “Love Chiang Mai 51” group are supporters of Chiang Mai- born ex- prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and Chiang Mai is his major stronghold.

In addition, red minibuses of Lanna Transport Cooperatives, Singkham Nanti, who was served an arrest warrant with five colleagues, surrendered to police on Tuesday night.

All were accused of leading protesters to gather in downtown Thaphae Road which obstructed traffic before the Songkran Festival.

Mr. Singkham was released on bail. Meanwhile the other five were expected to surrender soon. (TNA)

Political News : Last Update : 19:12:04 22 April 2009 (GMT+7:00)

http://enews.mcot.net/view.php?id=9610

I saw some small red flags coming back, apparently having been stuck to sign posts and the like overnight. Oh well, it's a start. :o

What I think will be interesting to see is if the verdicts will be seen to be fair. For example if they get a fine or probation or jail-time already served for the disruption of traffic then I think that will be seen as fair. (Would personally consider that fair though that's not very relevant). If they get major jailtime, also for things like 'illegal assembly' then the reaction may be stronger.

While they're at it, I would also like they'd be prosecuted for disrupting the gay pride parade. (Peaceblondie will be happy to hear that no doubt) becsause it should be made clear that that's NOT a proper way to conduct protests.

In other words, punish the people who protested in improper and illegal ways, which will give more legitimacy to 'Red' leaning people who can manage to voice their opinions within the law.

Personal opinion: I think the Reds would do well to focus any and all energy on getting organized for the next elections whenever Abby plans to finally have them. They stand to gain or lose much more from that than from any protest action, legal or illegal.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I dont understand it at all.

How is it the Yellow shirts never so much as had a traffic violation for international airport terrorism?

Yet the strong stand now against Red Shirts?

While I am at it I also wonder why not a single violation issued for Blues? Newin ChidChob et al?

Without even saying one side is right & one is wrong....It is obvious they are not held to the same laws at all are they?

Edited by flying

I dont understand it at all.

How is it the Yellow shirts never so much as had a traffic violation for international airport terrorism?

Yet the strong stand now against Red Shirts?

While I am at it I also wonder why not a single violation issued for Blues? Newin ChidChob et al?

Without even saying one side is right & one is wrong....It is obvious they are not held to the same laws at all are they?

Correct. But you are not legally say who the yellow shirts are supported by.

What's happening is a very good example of how Thais view criminal and civil law: only to be used if it benefits a third party (policeman, politician, judge, influential person etc).

Thais feel a lot more secure with animistic saksit power to control their lives and deliver justice - mantras, sacred objects, amulets and spirits. Respect your phraphum, phiban and suawat and you won't need to worry about the injustices of the judicial system. Adding strength to your protection is the quality of your good moral goodness, or khun-ngam khwamdi. So, a few amulets around your neck; a tattoo or two of animalistic symbolism; and a visit to the temple every now and again and you are safe... in theory anyway.

IMO

What's happening is a very good example of how Thais view criminal and civil law: only to be used if it benefits a third party (policeman, politician, judge, influential person etc).

Thais feel a lot more secure with animistic saksit power to control their lives and deliver justice - mantras, sacred objects, amulets and spirits. Respect your phraphum, phiban and suawat and you won't need to worry about the injustices of the judicial system. Adding strength to your protection is the quality of your good moral goodness, or khun-ngam khwamdi. So, a few amulets around your neck; a tattoo or two of animalistic symbolism; and a visit to the temple every now and again and you are safe... in theory anyway.

IMO

Yeah, two days ago saw two pickup loads of redshirts visiting the newly discovered "Buddha footprints" out in Ban Mae Ann. Getting right with the spirit world no doubt. Yesterday I saw considerably more assembling at the Forest Department compound out in Mae Rim, so it looks like some kind of official tie-in there.