สวมรอย

DavidHouston

I came across an interesting term in the paper today.

"แต่ละคนต้องรวบรวมข้อมูลให้มากขึ้น ทำความจริงให้ปรากฏ เพราะมีการสวมรอยสร้างความเข้าใจผิดต่อคนเสื้อแดง . . ."

The word "สวมรอย" from Lexitron means: "to take one's place wrongfully; take another's place by assuming his name; take other's step under false pretenses"

The sentence above could, therefore mean, "Each of us needs to gather as many facts as possible [and] let the truth come out because there are those who would operate under false pretenses and tell lies about us [the red shirts]"

The word "สวมรอย" brought to mind the notion of "identity theft" and I wondered whether it was indeed used in this modern context. Google showed a discussion of "identity theft" at http://kcs.co.th/kcspage/term/library/identity.htm :

"Identity Theft ก็คืออาชญากรประเภทหนึ่ง ที่สวมรอยเป็นคุณ แล้วแอบเอาข้อมูลส่วนตัวของคุณไปใช้ ราวกับว่าเป็นตัวคุณเอง"

"Identity Theft refers to a type of criminal activity whereby someone takes your identity under false premises and covertly uses your personal information as if he were you."

This website provides a good explanation of identity theft but not a nice, spiffy, concise term for this crime. Can anyone suggest such a term or let us know what Thais are using? Thanks.

To see what translations are out there, I suggest doing a google search for the following: +"identity theft" +ที่

This approach was suggested by Rikker, I think, as a way of finding English words mentioned on Thai language pages. It works well.