Westerners Practicing Thai Massage

Bananaman

I've met the odd bohemian type in LOS that claims to make a living within the kingdom off his or her Thai massage skills. I can't think who their clientele would be, I mean who'd come to Thailand and seek a massage from someone not Thai? Couldn't see the locals queuing up for nuad farang either.

Anyways, that point aside, my question for today is do any TV-ers know of westerners who have been successful back in their home countries using skills acquired on massage courses attended while on holiday in Thailand? Seems with all the backpackers that flock to the massage schools in the tourist areas that there should be a deluge of qualified masseurs/masseuses in Europe and N. America and yet on my travels I've yet to meet one (though I acknowledge that doesn't mean they don't exist).

Never heard of or met one that has done this, my guess if there is their numbers are few. Massaging is hard work and for the pay here in LOS I am a bit surprise to see so many working at this job, on second thought maybe the TIPS are GREAT??

I have a number of friends in canada who are licesned massage therapists.

They do a 3 year program that is very intensive and involves a very detailed study of anatomy and very rigorous examiniations on both theory and practice followed by an intenship, very much like med school.

once certified, they are considered healthcare practicioners and their services are covered under Canadian medical insurance for physiotherapy etc.

a few lessons at wat po doesn't match that type of preparation

I know of a guy in Edinburgh that makes a living out of various 'new age' therapies - He offers Thai massage that he learned in Thailand. And there's a woman in Henley-on-Thames that runs a 'wellness clinic' she does Acupuncture (Fully Qualified from a Beijing Medical School) + Thai massage.

I dont know about the training requirements in NL, but the going rate for REAL thai massage is 50-60eur an hour. If you are self employed, that is quite sweet. However, it is f*ckin hard work.

If the massage therapist is a member of some organization then the massage covered by your health insurance. With a maximum of course.

I studied in San Francisco under a Thai woman who studied at Wat Po.  SHE IS AWESOME, but now lazy.  When she wasn't lazy, she made a good living.  I know people who go there to take a class then come to study with my teacher....they are not very good.  The course in Thailand will not qualify as hours towards your licensing requirement here in the states; however, people generally like to say that they have studied over there as a selling point and to enhance their practice....

Very first time i came to LOS in 2000 caught the bus from the airport and there was some bohemian American going onto some bird that he came here to do massage to make a living.

Was a scraggy fcuker wouldnt have thought many would have even wanted a free massage off him.

• 2 months later...

The difference I noticed was that Western masseuses in my country (the Netherlands) are more attentive and more personalized while in Thailand it is more or less standardized. The Thai masseuse is more routined, they are doing their thing. The language barrier makes it also hard to explain your personal need.

The only reason I can come up with is that the Westerner has to theoritize Eastern methods first before practising as it doesn't come naturally. They have to make more effort than Asians to absorb the way of thinking and using the method.

And I think also that the Westerner (not all of course) is interested in Asian methods from an emotional, spiritual desire Especially when they start in their 30's, 40's etc. and they are finding their ways to complete themselves (awareness)

I find them more personally involved (which is not always a good thing btw)

And of course massages in the West are more "special" than in Thailand where you can find massages on every corner of the street for 200-1000 baht ;-)

I like a mix of different styles of massages and different types of masseuses btw, depending on my mood. And I talk about masseuses (female) because I prefer female therapists.

Would I go to a Western therapist in Thailand? Why not? If she is good and affordable I wouldn't mind.

Many words...I like this subject...I like massages...*sigh*