I'm not sure exactly what to buy. But, roughly, I'm looking for a

desktop PC

ASUS motherboard

Seagate drives

Intel dual-core

dual monitor support

2 gig ram

DVD writer

I'll be using it mostly for MS Office stuff, some Photoshop and Inkscape, Web surfing, and watching downloaded movies. I'm thinking a pair of 160s for the drives ought to be enough, and I guess XP Pro for the OS (unless you can convince me to go with Win 7). Not sure about the rest. This will obviously be a custom built PC that I'd like to bring the spec sheet for to a shop in Pantip Plaza and have it assembled while I wait. I haven't closely looked at a modern board but I'm guessing that ethernet and sound are built-in these days? I also haven't done much pricing, but I think this kind of box can be put together for under 20K, is that right? Under 15 would be even better, as again I'm not looking for the very latest or fastest. Quality and, at the utmost, reliability are far more important. Any tips on specific brands and model numbers of the above and/or alternatives? And on anything I might've left out?

That's all mostly basic stuff you can find in an Acer or HP Compaq desktop for less than 20k as you surmise, look for an Intel E5xxx processor.

The differences will be they probably won't have a Seagate drive but with the bad publicity Seagate had recently then maybe not a bad thing  :o Even cheap desktops usually have a 250GB drive as minimum.

XP Pro, about 5k but if you can live with XP Home then you can save 2k. Some Acer models might come with Vista included.

Dual monitor support? Cheaper Acer/HP models will have inbuilt graphics so maybe not. Should have a expansion slot to add a card with dual support. For 3k you can get something like an ATI HIS 4670 or what ever the current version is. If you aren't ever going to play games then you can go cheaper e.g. 4650.

We got a shop here that has a menu on the wall.  It s in sections  like drives,  motherboards etc.  they give you a sheet and you pick what you want.  If anything can't work togather they mark it, a friend did it and got a really nice desktop put togather for only 18k.  They got like everything there.  You can spend a lot or a little.  He got bigger drives once he saw the price he was at.  All the prices are on the menu.  Problem is I don't recall the name, but I know where it is.  :o   PS all brand name stuff.   Upstairs in the new IT mall, in the old Topland Center.