Buy House Or Build My Own?

So much negativity like most responses on here!

In answer to your question, it seems to me that YOU are the only one that knows your wife and now she is carrying your child who is almost certainly going to become the most important part of your life.

Don't build your own unless you have a lot of time to keep checking and a lot of patience when things go wrong.

Maybe like me you are quite happy that after you pop your clogs your son and wife will benefit.

So much negativity like most responses on here!

In answer to your question, it seems to me that YOU are the only one that knows your wife and now she is carrying your child who is almost certainly going to become the most important part of your life.

Don't build your own unless you have a lot of time to keep checking and a lot of patience when things go wrong.

Maybe like me you are quite happy that after you pop your clogs your son and wife will benefit.

I AGREE 100% WITH THOSE COMMENTS !!

I have surveyed about a hundred developments in the Eastern Seaboard, Isaan and Hua Hin and have now decided to buy a house in a rather unique development in Hua Hin, unique because it seems to be unusually good quality houses for Thai standards. As an engineer I wanted to find out what I could expect and see where the shortcomings are before buying a house for myself.

One think should be clear, no builder, builds houses in Thailand to Western standards! :D

I have noted that there are especially shortcomings in the skills of the Thai builders in four major areas:

1. Concrete works

2. Electrical works (the word disaster comes to my mine) :)

3. Plumbing

4. Drainage

whereas the Thais, the good ones that is, can be excellent carpenters. :D

Dude you missed a real treat not building your own. Believe me. :D

If you rent after 10 years you are losing money. If you think stay 10 years with the same girl then you can buy, anyway loss money in the rent or loss money with her... it's all the same.

Maybe you can make a contract with a lawyer, if she want walk away she should sell the house and give you 50% of the selling price at the market price. (Yes because you don't know, maybe she will sell the home for 5 baht to a friend...).

Is that possible ? Renting a home for a lifetime is not a good idea... you will pay 4 times the price of the house... I'm thinking about buy a new home too in Hua Hin, no way to rent.