Fingerprinting On Arrival In Japan

sbk

Just transited through Tokyo and they made a big announcement on the plane that they are now photographing and fingerprinting all non-Japanese nationals over the age of 16 except for those non-Japanese nationals that have special residency.

Just transited through Tokyo and they made a big announcement on the plane that they are now photographing and fingerprinting all non-Japanese nationals over the age of 16 except for those non-Japanese nationals that have special residency.

It's been like that since November 2007.

It takes no extra time, press a taster with both index fingers while officer is stamping your passport.

Thats interesting, because the announcement on the plane said it was a new procedure (never had an announcement on the plane before) and there were also signs up in the airport (which I've never seen before either) and I transit through Tokyo every year.

It takes no extra time, press a taster with both index fingers while officer is stamping your passport.

I think he is only referring to transiting. I wasn't fingerprinted transiting NRT 4 weeks ago.

I think he is only referring to transiting. I wasn't fingerprinted transiting NRT 4 weeks ago.

Only people entering the country.. Transit is not that.

I live in Japan, been through the airports 50 times (leaving/entering the country) since the measure was introduced.

As I know the process better than those drones parroting it on the plane, I don't listen to announcements and don't watch "on arrival" videos, not sure why it sounded so big. Maybe the drone reciting it was a newbie and surprised him/herself?

It was a video. Perhaps an old video (as it stated it was a new procedure) but one never showed in the airplane before, so it surprised me.

Not surprising they'd pick up some bad habits from their masters. Don't know why GW Bush doesn't run for PM there.

How about Thais photographing each and every passenger, citizen or not?

You remember how they got that "unswirled" monster last year?

Not surprising they'd pick up some bad habits from their masters. Don't know why GW Bush doesn't run for PM there.

Masters? You mean the corrupt cadre of Japanese businessmen and their mobster buddies that seem to have free reign in Japan? Repeat after me, Mr. Bush is no longer President of the USA. He has no influence in other governments and he never had influence in Japan. The Japanese only cared about the USA if it meant it was good for the Japanese restrictive trade practices or if when theyChinese and North Korean encroachments scared them.

How about Thais photographing each and every passenger, citizen or not?

You remember how they got that "unswirled" monster last year?

Mr. Swirl was employed as a teacher in South Korea and legally entered the country. Aingerprints and a photograph would not have done anything at the time since he was not being sought. Subsequent to the German police using the services of some skilled programmers that unswirled the image the picture of Mr. Swirl was decoded and was circulated. He then fled South Korea and spent a week on the run with a 25-year-old Thai transvestite whom police suspect of supplying him victims during his earlier time in the country. He entered Thailand at the time his photograph was being circulated. The photo doesn't do much good if no one looks at it.

It was the German police that tracked him to Thailand and then applied pressure to the local authorities. A series of tip-offs and a signal from the transvestite's mobile phone led thai officers to the house near the town of Nakhon Ratchasima. Had it not been for the Germans he would not have been located.

Look at what's sitting behind the immigration counter. Do you think they look at the photos even though they photograph people now?