Can You Help A Thai Student?

Thippawan

Hi,

I am an MBA student at Chiang Mai University. I need to do a survey on E-Commerce opinion of foreign tourists visiting Chiang Mai to complete my degree. I have completed all the course work except this survey which if I can complete in the next month will enable me to graduate. If you have a few minutes to spare and would like to help me, please copy the link below into your web browser to take this survey. Note that the survey does not require you to give your name or your email address.

Thanks a lot !

Thippawan

Copy the following URL in your web browser

http://FreeOnlineSurveys.com/rendersurvey.asp?sid=3p9gld2sfoztbal586270

You never know the student may actually be using the survey as a decoy and really doing his/her assignment using the reactions of the posts. :)

Yes using any survey has weaknesses especially if it is a completely free whether to participate or not however valid results can still be obtained if the survey isdesigned correctly and interpreted correctly. I have seen sloppy work in universities in other countries as well as here.

In many cases this kind of assignment is not meant to obtain real meaningull lifechanging results but to show that the student understands how to use the statistical tools to analyse the results and make interpretations that show he/she understands the methadology.

I with the OP good luck and hope the assignment goes well.

Edited by harrry

Are you ผู้หญิง or ผู้ชาย ?? :) +555

Sure! have nothing better to do! :D

Hi....I am ผู้หญิงค่ะ

BTW, I am sorry for too many questions and take too much of your time. Hope you do understand!

Anyway, I would like to thank for your time and help in completing it.

Have a nice day!

You never know the student may actually be using the survey as a decoy and really doing his/her assignment using the reactions of the posts. :)

Yes using any survey has weaknesses especially if it is a completely free whether to participate or not however valid results can still be obtained if the survey isdesigned correctly and interpreted correctly. I have seen sloppy work in universities in other countries as well as here.

In many cases this kind of assignment is not meant to obtain real meaningull lifechanging results but to show that the student understands how to use the statistical tools to analyse the results and make interpretations that show he/she understands the methadology.

I with the OP good luck and hope the assignment goes well.

Hi harry,

First, this survey is not a decoy. This is a project requirement for my MBA program. I have been walking around Chiang Mai Night Bazaar and hanging around burger joints for the last three weeks asking people to take the survey and some have been kind enough to help out. One person suggested posting the survey on this forum so here i am.

Designing a survey is not an easy job so companies with deep pockets go to professional organizations such as Gallup. Unfortunately, I am just a poor student in this part of the world so have to do this myself. You are correct in that part of the reason is for us students to get familiar with statistical tools such as SPSS that someday we may have to use in our jobs.

I recognize that some people may not provide correct information. Indeed some have quit after the first few questions, but that is OK. I am still grateful that they even bothered to go to the survey. I hope some will complete the survey so that I can get some thing useful out of it.

Thanks for your comments and encouragement.

thippawan

Done. Longer than I guessed it would be.

Thank you for your valuable time in helping on my studies. It will really help me a lot

Would you mine helping advise where are the best places to find foreign tourists to help fill out on a hard copy?

So far I have gone to burger shop, Night Bazaar, Sunday Walking Street Market. Leave the survey box at one guesthouse.

Again, appreciated your kindness! :)

done.

Would you mine helping advise where are the best places to find foreign tourists to help fill out on a hard copy?

So far I have gone to burger shop, Night Bazaar, Sunday Walking Street Market. Leave the survey box at one guesthouse.

Try the reggae bars (Roots Rock Reggae and Heaven Beach) behind U.N. Irish Bar at night time. There are a lot of backpackers around there, who I'm sure will be a lot more friendly and helpful than Mr ASIC (A Sad Irritable C@nt???)

โชคดีนะ

Thank you for your valuable time in helping on my studies. It will really help me a lot

You could try the coffee shops in CM - Wawee, Starbucks, etc. - tourists might be more inclined to complete your survey in air-conditioned surroundings. Good luck with it!

You could try the coffee shops in CM - Wawee, Starbucks, etc. - tourists might be more inclined to complete your survey in air-conditioned surroundings. Good luck with it!

I think coffee shops are a GREAT idea, as people are often alone and wont mind so much doing the survey (particularly as it is a long one). Might be good to also ask the coffee shops if you can leave the paper copies on a tray with a make-shift box for customers to 'post' in the completed survey. If you make an eye-catching propped-up poster (or on the 'post' box) letting people know that you are doing this for your studies, they are more likely to want to help. โชคดีค่ะ!

To all who has given comments and helped to complete my survey (study):

I do appreciate for your comments and suggestions. Thank you! :)

Some tourists I have met and asked for their help also did suggest to go to some bars and restuarants around Moonmuang and Tapae area, but the problem was that how can I ask them if the owners do not give any permission?

It is really appreciated that some do allow which is very nice of them i.e. Mike's Burger, Thai coffee shop (1-2 blocks from Mad Dog bar), Mad Dog, Lai Thai Guesthouse and Plaza Inn Guesthouse whom I would like to thank for their kindness.

Wishing everyone here a happiness in every moment! :D

Unnecessary comment removed and subsequent replies. Being a staff member at CMU, I have some insight into what students are required to do for assigned projects and the efforts they put into them. So belittling a student for making the effort to ask for assistance for his project is not happening here.

Your welcome. As a tourist, my two favorite places were Doi Suthep and San Kamphaeng Road (the handicraft highway) where they make lacquer ware, silver ware, sa-paper umbrella paintings, etc. Maybe some tourists there will help.

I completed the survey but most of the questions were on buying goods on-line using a computer. I don't buy ANYTHING on-line at home and definitely would not in Thailand where there is no backup if anything should go wrong with the sale. I've heard far too many nightmares to trust anyone in a foreign country where there is little or no legal support. I like to hold in my hand what I expect to buy and then walk away with it after paying cash. In Thailand I don't expect to return anything that I've paid for... even if it breaks under warrantee.

Hi,

I am an MBA student at Chiang Mai University. I need to do a survey on E-Commerce opinion of foreign tourists visiting Chiang Mai to complete my degree. I have completed all the course work except this survey which if I can complete in the next month will enable me to graduate. If you have a few minutes to spare and would like to help me, please copy the link below into your web browser to take this survey. Note that the survey does not require you to give your name or your email address.

Thanks a lot !

Thippawan

Copy the following URL in your web browser

http://FreeOnlineSurveys.com/rendersurvey.asp?sid=3p9gld2sfoztbal586270

Done.

Try the reggae bars (Roots Rock Reggae and Heaven Beach) behind U.N. Irish Bar at night time. There are a lot of backpackers around there, who I'm sure will be a lot more friendly and helpful than Mr ASIC (A Sad Irritable C@nt???)

Not really the kind of people who buy handicrafts though.

My advice would be to dress smartly and ask tourists coming out of Wat Chedi Luang and you will have a steady stream of respondents I am sure. Many tourists visit everyday and they are more likely to be cultural types who would have views on handicraft purchases.

The very best of luck for your project.

To Khun Thippawan - I'd also suggest Wat Phra Singh. You should be aware, though, that many westerners get approached in the street by "market researchers" who in fact are promoting a product and it's really a selling technique (same in Thailand, I guess?). Be prepared to make it 100% clear right from the start that your survey is not something like that.

To others here - the survey's not that long (took me 10 minutes including writing some comments/suggestions in the box at the end). It's not intrusive or that demanding and doesn't identify you/ask about income etc. Not too much to ask in a good cause to help out a Thai student............ and I echo Tywais' comment about it being a familiar part of the business studies curriculum.

Hi....

Yeah....Hope it is a suitable place to do so.

Actually, I have sent a letter from my faculty to AOT for permission since last week, waiting for their approval on Monday. Probably by this coming Tuesday or Wednesday I should be able to do the survey there.

Hopefully I will get good cooperation from most of foreign tourists who have sympathy and kindness to help student(s) on their graduation there.

Hmm.....gotta say it here that the sample size is 300 samples!!! :)

Thank you >> Kob Kun Ka. :D

Edited by Thippawan

To Khun Thippawan - I'd also suggest Wat Phra Singh. You should be aware, though, that many westerners get approached in the street by "market researchers" who in fact are promoting a product and it's really a selling technique (same in Thailand, I guess?). Be prepared to make it 100% clear right from the start that your survey is not something like that.

To others here - the survey's not that long (took me 10 minutes including writing some comments/suggestions in the box at the end). It's not intrusive or that demanding and doesn't identify you/ask about income etc. Not too much to ask in a good cause to help out a Thai student............ and I echo Tywais' comment about it being a familiar part of the business studies curriculum.

Refer to your statement in bold above (as I have made). Yes, I did inform every tourist when asking them to help on the survey that I am doing this for my MBA degree. I wish that my study will bring what should be aware for local business people when they are dealing with their international customers through online market more or less. Thus everyone's comments are very helpful for my report.

Thank you very much for your advice and alert :)

I completed the survey but most of the questions were on buying goods on-line using a computer. I don't buy ANYTHING on-line at home and definitely would not in Thailand where there is no backup if anything should go wrong with the sale. I've heard far too many nightmares to trust anyone in a foreign country where there is little or no legal support. I like to hold in my hand what I expect to buy and then walk away with it after paying cash. In Thailand I don't expect to return anything that I've paid for... even if it breaks under warrantee.

Hi,

Thank you for completing the survey.

I understand your reasons for why you would "definitely" not buy anything online from Thailand. As compared to western businesses, Thai businesses' return policies are very restrictive and time consuming, if any at all. I do not know about Europe but I have been to USA and Canada and know their very generous "no questions asked" return policies, which perhaps are taken advantage off at times. Such policies in my opinion builds customer purchase confidence and store loyalty. While it maybe unrealistic to expect street merchants in night bazaar to accept returns (you know what you are buying, don't you?), other Thai shops should accept returns if the customer is not satisfied with the product and certainly within the warranty period. Sadly, Thai customers have gotten used to "no return" shopping so there is no pressure on Thai merchants to have formal return policies. While this style of business may continue to work in Thailand, it will definitely not work if Thai businesses have any hope to successfully peddle their wares online to get a share of this multi billion dollar business. I am convinced of that.

In fact the main purpose of my survey is to identify factors that are preventing foreigners in purchasing Thai products online. Return policy, quality, transportation costs are some of the factors that I am hoping will come out as key roadblocks. We have some absolutely beautiful products made in Thailand. Our teak furniture is gorgeous. Yes it is a stretch to expect someone to buy a dining suite online but perhaps if there was a way to remove the roadblocks, Thai businesses could expand their revenues considerably.

Online purchasing is the way of the future. Year after year growth is a testimony to this channel. Thai businesses need to get their heads out of the sand if they want a share of this pie.

My MBA study once completed will be available at the Chiang Mai University library for all to review. I am hoping to forward the results to Thai businesses as well as to the appropriate government departments as I think they have a role to play as well.

thippawan

Hello,

Thank you for completing the survey.

I can understand why you would "definitely" not buy anything online from Thailand. Unfortunately, Thai businesses seem to think that the sales cycle ends once the customer has paid. They may not understand, or care, that customer satisfaction is essential for repeat business and more importantly, referral business. It may not benefit them directly but Thai businesses as a whole suffer from poor referrals. Your reply testifies to that.

I agree that Thai businesses have very restrictive and time consuming return policies, if one exists at all. I can't say about Europe, but I have been to USA and Canada and know the very generous "no questions asked" return polices of all major stores (which I am sure get taken advantage off by some at times). This in my opinion is essential for building customer purchase confidence and store loyalty. I am sure the US and Canadian customers expect this and would not go back to a store who reneged on their return policy. While it may be unrealistic to expect night bazaar street merchants to accept return of a Rolex watch you purchased a couple of days ago (you knew what you were purchasing, did'nt you?) there is no reason why most of Thai mechants should not offer a fair return policy. By not having one, the message a business sends is that it is unsure of the quality of its products. Unfortunately, Thai customers have gotten used to "no return" policy and as such don't expect it. Thus Thai merchants are under no pressure to institute a return policy. While this may continue to work in Thailand, but this will definitely not work if Thai businesses want to sell more to foreigners. I am convinced of that.

One of the objectives of my MBA project and this survey is to understand the factors that are possible roadblocks to potential successful online sales of Thai products. Return policy, warranty, quality, transportation costs are some of such roadblocks that Thai businesses will have to remove if they have any hope in becoming a player in the online business.

Online purchasing is the way of the future. Year after year of growth in this channel says it is here to stay. And Thai businesses have to get their heads out of the sand if they want a share of this multi billion dollar channel. We make wonderful products here in Thailand. Our teak furniture is absolutely gorgeous. So why should we not try to sell it online. Okay, buying a dinning room suite online from Thailand may seem like a stretch but it is possible if key issues are looked after. Just think, if one foreigner who visited Thailand and saw the furniture and later decided to but online and had a very satisfying experience, how many good referrals would Thai businesses get!

My MBA study would be published and kept at The Chiang Mai University Library and available to anyone. I will send the results of the study to Thai businesses and to the Thai Governament for they have a role to play in this as well.

Cheers,

thippawan