Can Thai Girl Buy Land Or House

If a thai girl marries with a foreigner [ampur] can she buy land or a house in her name after marriage ?

I believe this was not allowed in the past but I think that this law was changed.

Absolutely.

But me careful!

If the OP is financing this project, in Thai law unless he is legally married to the girl, the OP is in fact buying this land as a gift for his girlfriend and has no recourse or claims to it if the relationship breaks up or she decides to give the land to her family or share with Thai boyfriend.

If he is married in real terms the OP has to sign a declaration at the land office relinquishing any claims or rights to the land.

But he still can claim 50% of the land in a Thai civil court in the event of a divorce.

If the wife dies the land automatically transfers to her next of kin, that would be her family because Farangs are not permitted to own small plots of land or can be transferred to any children they may have if Thai citizens. Any disputes over ownership can be resolved in a Thai civil court.

Real estate in Thailand cannot be legally owned by anyone under the age of 20.

If the OP has children, than first the land must be bought in his wife`s name than transferred to the childs name of any age. The land is than held in trust until the child reaches the age of 20.

Edited by sassienie

Guest Bellini
...If the wife dies the land automatically transfers to her next of kin, that would be her family because Farangs are not permitted to own small plots of land or can be transferred to any children they may have if Thai citizens. Any disputes over ownership can be resolved in a Thai civil court...

I remember reading on this forum that the foreign spouse of a Thai national can inherit land but will have to sell it to a Thai national or Thai juristic person within a certain time, one year, I believe. Was that information wrong?

...If the wife dies the land automatically transfers to her next of kin, that would be her family because Farangs are not permitted to own small plots of land or can be transferred to any children they may have if Thai citizens. Any disputes over ownership can be resolved in a Thai civil court...

I remember reading on this forum that the foreign spouse of a Thai national can inherit land but will have to sell it to a Thai national or Thai juristic person within a certain time, one year, I believe. Was that information wrong?

No, correct with the legal add that, given the right circumstances (how ever hard it might be to acheive such circumstances) the courts theoretically could allow said foreigner to own the land. Has that ever happened? Don't know.

For how many more years will people keep starting threads on this topic? Amazing how old info lingers on

With respect S, I think you have made a few errors in your advice ... see below

If he is married in real terms the OP has to sign a declaration at the land office relinquishing any claims or rights to the land. But he still can claim 50% of the land in a Thai civil court in the event of a divorce.

The declaration says the land is not marital property, but separate property 'Sin Suan Tua'. Sin Suan Tua is generally not claimable under the 50% rule (there may be some exceptions under special circumstances)

If the wife dies the land automatically transfers to her next of kin, that would be her family because Farangs are not permitted to own small plots of land or can be transferred to any children they may have if Thai citizens. Any disputes over ownership can be resolved in a Thai civil court.

If there is no valid Thai Will then the land will go to her family (if she has one), with a proportion going to the foreigner spouse according to a set formula. If the foreigner spouse is the named beneficiary in a valid Thai Will then the land can be left to him. He has 12 months to dispose of it to a Thai (which could be for example his minor child)

If the OP has children, than first the land must be bought in his wife`s name than transferred to the childs name of any age. The land is than held in trust until the child reaches the age of 20.

Land can be owned by someone under 20 (i.e. a minor child), with legal controls in place (refer to Thai Civil and Commercial Code) on the management of that land

For how many more years will people keep starting threads on this topic? Amazing how old info lingers on

With respect S, I think you have made a few errors in your advice ... see below

If he is married in real terms the OP has to sign a declaration at the land office relinquishing any claims or rights to the land. But he still can claim 50% of the land in a Thai civil court in the event of a divorce.

The declaration says the land is not marital property, but separate property 'Sin Suan Tua'. Sin Suan Tua is generally not claimable under the 50% rule (there may be some exceptions under special circumstances)

If there is no valid Thai Will then the land will go to her family (if she has one), with a proportion going to the foreigner spouse according to a set formula. If the foreigner spouse is the named beneficiary in a valid Thai Will then the land can be left to him. He has 12 months to dispose of it to a Thai (which could be for example his minor child)

Land can be owned by someone under 20 (i.e. a minor child), with legal controls in place (refer to Thai Civil and Commercial Code) on the management of that land

Errr, that`s all what I said, isn`t it?

If a thai girl marries with a foreigner [ampur] can she buy land or a house in her name after marriage ?

I believe this was not allowed in the past but I think that this law was changed.

Sorry for the delay in thanking all for your input,I have been travelling.

My thai G/F who I hope to mrry has money of her own and a good job.

She hopes to buy land with her own money in the future.

Somebody has informed her that by marrying a foreigner she will no longer be able to buy land or propertyin Thailand.

I have no wish to own any part of her property or land now or in the future.

Thanks again all for your time and responses to my question.4.Real