Chiang Rai To Install Thermal Scanner At Airport

george

Chiang Rai to install thermal scanner at airport; border surveillance upgraded

CHIANG RAI: -- The northern province of Chiang Rai plans to install a thermal scanner at Chiang Rai airport to increase precautions against the possible outbreak of Influenza A (H1N1).

Chiang Rai governor, Sumeth Saengnimnuan Sunday visited a Thai- Myanmar border checkpoint in Maesai district to observe surveillance measures in place to help prevent a possible outbreak of Influenza A (H1N1).

A thermal scanner has already been installed at the Mae Sai checkpoint but he proposed one more thermal scanner be installed at Chiang Rai airport to instill confidence among locals and tourists.

He said he has instructed local officials to stay alert and to ensure the surveillance measures in effect are implemented on a continuous basis.

The governor also said that at the beginning of next week, Laos and Thailand will hold a special drill to improve ways of responding to a possible H1N1 flu pandemic.

Thai authorities already cooperate with public health officials in neighbouring Laos and Myanmar, exchanging information to build an effective surveillance network along their borders, he added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-05-03

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Chiang Rai isn't an international airport...no direct international flights/no immigration check. So...presumably everyone coming in would have already been subject to scan in BKK. Sounds like window dressing to me.

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Chiang Rai isn't an international airport...no direct international flights/no immigration check. So...presumably everyone coming in would have already been subject to scan in BKK. Sounds like window dressing to me.

Chjang Rai is an international airport with immigration facilities.

Oh no? You might think this little province is small but are you forgetting CR is connecting with 2 other countries?

How about illegal North Koreans refugees? They acces from CR, Laos then into Thailand. Let say some virus outbreak comes from China, you think they cant get into Thailand via CR first?

Its a good prevention incase any virus outbreak. Also we have BKK flight, imagine the possibility some foreigner from infected country transit from BKK to CR, dont you think the virus will get spreading here. Is all possible, prevention is better then nothing even for many seems odd.

552000005275901.jpg

Oh no? You might think this little province is small but are you forgetting CR is connecting with 2 other countries?

How about illegal North Koreans refugees? They acces from CR, Laos then into Thailand. Let say some virus outbreak comes from China, you think they cant get into Thailand via CR first?

Its a good prevention incase any virus outbreak. Also we have BKK flight, imagine the possibility some foreigner from infected country transit from BKK to CR, dont you think the virus will get spreading here. Is all possible, prevention is better then nothing even for many seems odd.

552000005275901.jpg

Yeah, I heard the Thai's are waiting for the North Koreans to line up for thermal scanning prior to illegally entering the country. KonJiangHai...Are you Thai?

Edited by KhaoDam

We're discussing a news item about thermal scanners, not questioning anyone about their nationality.

Discussing or disclosing other member's private details is strictly forbidden under forum rules.

Just a friendly reminder.... :)