3 Thais Killed, 1 Swedish Woman Injured In Shootings Near Khao San Rd

Oberkommando

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is text from the swedish newspaper Aftonbladet (Google Translate):

Swedish shot in Bangkok - three killed

Stockholm. Three Thais were killed unprovoked on a tourist street in Bangkok on Monday.

A young Swedish shots were injured in the drama.

- A woman in the 20s is shot in Bangkok. She cared for in hospitals, but without life threatening injuries, "said Amelie Heinsjö in Swedish Foreign Ministry (UD) press call, to TT.

According to Aftonbladet electronic versions took shots of unloading at the tourist street Khao San Road in Bangkok. Woman of a coincidence to have ended my a quarrel, which was followed by gunfire.

Heinsjö states that the woman's relatives are informed.

- Our Embassy will follow up on this tomorrow (Tuesday) and get in touch with the woman.

The Swede should have made the most of a coincidence. Police in Bangkok for an Expressen that everything started with a quarrel between a married Thai couple on the street. The man should then have made the weapon and started shooting. Three other bystanders, all Thais, were killed.

UD also has received information on casualties.

- According to information, three people died, but we have no information that any of them to be Swedes, says Heinsjö.

-- Aftonbladet.se 2009-05-05

moral to the story(?) if you see Thai people arguing, stay clear.

If it appears they're drunk and there are weapons involved, duck for cover.

However, on the other side of the coin, there are some among us who might be inclined to step in to try and rescue someone being browbeat. pedestrianus emptor.

Hope they caught the a**hole with the gun - and get him to suffer the full weight of the law.

Edited by brahmburgers

Hello, it is a sad thing for some people to think that killing or shooting people is a good thing. I feel sorry for the people killed and the families of the people killed. Most of the people go to Khao San Road to have a good time, but this is not acceptable social behavior. I hope more people in LOS can talk about this and understand that no one has the right to take another persons' life. Like in America, too many bad people can get a gun, and not enough of the good people have them. It sounds like this was not an random act so the businesses there will not suffer as much, but the police in Bangkok are good at getting the small people so maybe the shooter will be taken out of society and put in a cage.

More from Aftonbladet (Google translate from swedish):

Young Swedish woman shot in Bangkok

A Swedish woman in 20s shot injured on Monday in the tourist street Khao San Road in Bangkok.

Three people were killed in the madness bout.

The incident occurred during Monday afternoon, Thai time.

- We were informed at the 18-time on it. We know that there is a Swedish citizen in the 20s damaged, but we have no details about the incident, "said Amelie Heinsjö at UD.

Crazy Shooting

The Swedish woman accidentally end up in the middle of a quarrel, when a 35-year-old man drew a gun and opened fire. It was a married Thai couple who started a fight, indicates TT. Suddenly, the man should be drawn weapons and started shooting. Three other passers Thais were allegedly killed in shooting madness. According to other data, one of the dead be killer 's wife. She should have left her husband a few days ago, after he beat her. Row sparked by her refusal to move back when he searched her.

According to Foreign Ministry, the Swedish woman, who comes from Sweden, no life threatening injuries.

- She cared for in a hospital in Bangkok, her relatives are informed, "said Amelie Heinsjö.

Embassy staff will contact the Swedish for Tuesday.

-- Aftonbladet.se 2009-05-05

However, on the other side of the coin, there are some among us who might be inclined to step in to try and rescue someone being browbeat. pedestrianus emptor.

Hope they caught the a**hole with the gun - and get him to suffer the full weight of the law.

This happened in Pattaya a few years ago, 2 brits pulled a thai off a restarant owner that was getting slapped,, he returned later with a gun and killed 2 of them, as advised elsewhere, keep out of thai arguments, they dont value life as we do and dont consider the consequences of their actions, . :)

Sometimes intervention is justified. What if it was you getting mugged or beaten on to the point that you would probably die and I was standing there? Would you be ok with me running away? it's all about using common sense.

In this particular case the poor girl was in the wrong place at the wrong time, but she did what she thought was right when she most likely saw the woman getting attacked. Doing the right thing sometimes costs. If the swedish girl was trying to do the right thing, then she was certainly a better "man" than alot of folks that would run away.

This happened opposite Burger King, at one of the T-Shirt sellers, just before the corner of Khao San Rd...

I popped out to seven around nine last night and saw alot of police and a crowd gathered.... rumour last night was Thai Husband had shot his wife and kid and tourist was hit in crossfire....

Vary sad.

This happened in Pattaya a few years ago, 2 brits pulled a thai off a restarant owner that was getting slapped,, he returned later with a gun and killed 2 of them, as advised elsewhere, keep out of thai arguments, they dont value life as we do and dont consider the consequences of their actions, . :)

Thais do value life when they are sober and calm. What's frightening are the petty things that can take that calmness away. There are violent people everywhere in the world. Thailand is probably unique in that even a sarcastic remark or a caring criticism can get you killed by people who are not even gangsters by any stretch of the imagination.

Anything better for this story in English? It will probably come sooner or later.

Another blow to tourism..........what was that song they were playing when the Titanic went down?

:)

Such tragic events happen not only in Thailand and I can not see why it is a blow for tourism.

Crime takes place everywhere in the world.

Clarifying the websites translations from dn.se

Swedish woman in 20s is at hospital from gunshot injury last night.

She was hit by a bullet not aimed at her and now is treated for the injuries at the hospital in BKK according from a press release by swedish foreign affairs.

The wounds are not life treating.

The gunshots were at Khao San Road and the woman ended up in between an argument while she was passing by and someone pulled a gun and started shooting and three others were killed.

Her family is informed.

This is according to DN.se and aftonbladet.se

Azad

This happened opposite Burger King, at one of the T-Shirt sellers, just before the corner of Khao San Rd...

I popped out to seven around nine last night and saw alot of police and a crowd gathered.... rumour last night was Thai Husband had shot his wife and kid and tourist was hit in crossfire....

Vary sad.

This is crazy! Seems that every day a tourist is killed or dies in Thailand. Making Thailand safe for foreigners, whether from Thais or from foreign gangsters, has got be a priority for this goverment. When people ask me if it is safe to travel to thailand, i have to say it is not safest place. I think travelling to Lao or Cambodia or China is probably safer than Thailand at this point.

This will not be "another blow to tourism" as some have suggested. Street crime is rampant in most urban areas here. Bangkok continues to be one of the most dangerous places in the world. Either you accept the facts or bury your head in the sand and hope you do not become a victim.

Stress brought on by the well publicized problems unique to Thailand and the current global economic crisis will cause crime to continue to rise. This is simply one of hundreds of violent crimes that occur in Thailand everyday. This one could not be covered up because a foreigner was tragically brought into the story.

Keep a low profile!

Let'em do their thing just stay out of it and away.

Don't even look back!!

Edited by Burr

This will not be "another blow to tourism" as some have suggested. Street crime is rampant in most urban areas here. Bangkok continues to be one of the most dangerous places in the world. Either you accept the facts or bury your head in the sand and hope you do not become a victim.

Stress brought on by the well publicized problems unique to Thailand and the current global economic crisis will cause crime to continue to rise. This is simply one of hundreds of violent crimes that occur in Thailand everyday. This one could not be covered up because a foreigner was tragically brought into the story.

I disagree with that. In fact it is still one of the safest cities in the world. Compare Bangkok with Manila, Rio de Janeiro, Phnom Phen, Los Angeles... only to mention a few

And "they" wonder why tourism is down :D

I know that it can (and does) happen everywhere but not with the frequency that it occurs in Thailand :)

I would like to see some statistics to back up this absurd statement. The Swedish woman wasn't even a target...she just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Who said anyone intervened? Khao San is a seriously busy place and with bullets flying around, people are bound to get injured whether they were involved or not.

This is yet another massive blow to Thailand. Street crime may be rampant in urban areas but usually outside of the sphere of the western media and I don't actually believe it is "one of the most dangerous places in the world" at all hence why it has attracted so much tourism in the past. There are many more dangerous cities, but it just takes one story like this to sway opinion.

Update:

3 Thais killed, 1 Swedish woman injured in shootings near Khao Sarn Road

BANGKOK: -- A Thai man shot and killed his wife and two other Thais near Khao Sarn Road Monday night and accidentally shot and injured a Swedish tourist, police said.

The shootings occurred on the Tanao Road.

Police said the Thai man, Surapan Kritsamphan 44, went to see his ex-wife, Yupadee Laphanan, 35, while she was selling clothes at her shop to try to mend their relationship.

But when she refused to mend the tie, the man became angry and opened fire at her, their son, Polkrit Kritsamphan, 19, and her new boyfriend, Arkom Surojwong, 33.

Yupadee and Polkrit died at the scene. Arkom died on his way to a hospital.

Surapan fled the scene.

The Swedish tourist, Karin Matiweka, 21, was shot once on her back. She was rushed to the Vatchiraj Hospital and is now safe.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009-05-05

Sometimes intervention is justified. What if it was you getting mugged or beaten on to the point that you would probably die and I was standing there? Would you be ok with me running away? it's all about using common sense.

In this particular case the poor girl was in the wrong place at the wrong time, but she did what she thought was right when she most likely saw the woman getting attacked. Doing the right thing sometimes costs. If the swedish girl was trying to do the right thing, then she was certainly a better "man" than alot of folks that would run away.

You never cease to amaze me with your comments geriatrickid. OK so this poor Swedish girl in the prime of her life got involved in a domestic and ended up with a raw deal.

I would suggest that many people from Europe visiting Thailand for the first, second or even third time are not so aware of the terrible gun culture this country has and this girl sadly and rather naively got in the middle of the fracass.

I'm sure that if the commotion had been that serious fellow Thais would have got involved, or would they? They know to stay away, but unfortunately when you read a do's and dont's section of Thai culture in a travel guide all it tells you is not to show the soles of your feet or touch anyone on the head, not don't get involved in Thai on Thai arguements. In the west this sad story would be pretty unheard of at least on the streets, but as someone said earlier Thai have no idea of consequences when that red mist starts to cover their eyes and the blood starts to pump.

At least one good thing may come from this and that now people will start to walk away when they see trouble and just let the Thais sort it out themselves, as they generally do without involving unfortunate farangs wearing rose tinted glasses who still think this is the land of smiles.

This place is becoming more dangerous all the time, one only has to look at the armed robbery in Pattaya yesterday and see on TV three guys coming into a jewelry store with M16's blazing and no regard for public safety. Where do you buy an M16 in Pattaya, 7-11?

It will get worse too as so many people are being laid off from work, they need money to survive and if that means shooting up a store or a farang for his wallet and gold they have no fear of the consequences. Travellers be warned and be vigilant.

I disagree with that. In fact it is still one of the safest cities in the world. Compare Bangkok with Manila, Rio de Janeiro, Phnom Phen, Los Angeles... only to mention a few

Statistics show that Thailand is 14th in the world for murders per capita - double that of the USA and on a par with Kyrgyzstan. The death toll on the roads is one of the highest in the world, as are the pollution levels in the major cities. And you feel safe with all this building work, potholes, things falling off roofs? So if BKK is one of the safest cities in the world then it is one of selective perception, rather than reality. See:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_...ders-per-capita

what a rubbish !!! :)

while crime of course DOES happen in a big city such as Bangkok, it is still much safer than almost anywhere else.

I dare to say, MUCH safer than, f.e., Phuket or Pattaya, considering the number of inhabitants living at those places.

None of the people that I know in BKK (and I know quite some since moving here 6 years ago) have ever been victim of a street crime nor have seen/witnessed such thing. if a crime happens, it will be usually burglary (yeah THAT indeed happens a lot, but thats a problem anywhere in South-East-Asia).

Three Thais apparently died in this incident, but the majority of the concern seems to be for the Swedish bystander who was only injured. Seems a bit out of whack to me.

agreed...

Yes seen Thais fighting between themselves, may seem like the natural thing to do is to help a women getting beat in the Western world but this is not the Western world this is Thailand so best not getting involved let the Thais sort it out between themselves.

Also heard that helping the person getting beat ends up beating you with the boyfriend who was just beating them.