Slow Internet

sbk

We use dial up and have two phone lines, I have tried on both. I have tried with 3 different internet service providers (t-net, csloxinfo, jinet) and the results are still the same. Sometimes the internet is quite fast, then it just stops moving, then it goes again. Darn annoying!! Anyone else having these issues? We just got a new USB modem (electricity outages blew out our old modem) but I don't think that is it because we started having these problems before the modem died. We are in Surat Thani but a friend of mine who has ADSL said last week that his was also quite slow and he thought maybe the gateway was overloaded. Also, we are trying the unlimited hours through jinet but we have to use the 1222 number and it disconnects every 15 minutes or so. I have heard complaints about the 1222 number but ji net won't let me use the regular line.

What's the general opinion?? Is it my modem? my phone line? Or am I just jinxed as far as anything computer related goes?

if you have a tot line, you should use a tot isp, if true line, a true isp. when you buy the internet card , it should say, and you could always ask the friendly clerk. this was originally my reason for constant disconnects. you can get an unlimited time account for around 150 baht for two weeks.

My dial up has worsened over the last week.

Last night I set the alarm clock for 2am so I could do some internet banking transactions. It had continued to time out for the last 2 days.

I was hoping to hold out converting to broadband until better deals are offerred but I might need to take the plunge sooner rather than later.

We are tt&t and the ji-net people told us to use the 1222 line, which doesn't stay connected.

The t-net (which is tt&t) does not have disconnect problems, just very spotty speeds, same with loxinfo. Don't know if it is my phone line or if there is just a general slowdown in the internet, maybe Thailand is having problems with their main cable again...

It's slow over the whole line (dialup, ADSL, any ISP). So probably something to do with the international link. Not as slow as last week though. Also the local bandwidth is below the normal 2200kbit I usually get.

Before I got True last month, the interruptions on Dial Up Ji-net were annoying. I haven't noticed those on True ADSL.

Very slow over the weekend and again today.

Could not reach ThaiVisa in the middle of the afternoon.

I think TV was down for a short time yesterday - I could get to international and Thai sites, but not TV!

I sympathise with those having problems on dial-up. Here in Phuket I use ToT, Pacific Internet, the 1222 number and a 349 baht/30 day unlimited package. I have stayed online for more than 27 hours on occasion and don't bother disconnecting if I go out (saves 3 baht :o ).

I don't think there is a general problem at the moment, but maybe others can confirm. It is possible that there is just a local problem where you are, or a problem with your provider.

I have a tt&t line but I am using the TOT free internet on 1222

I have been connected for  119 hours.

Internet speed  has varied greatly.

If you are getting disconnected then it is your computer or line.

Lets add modems to your disconnect list. I had serious problems with INET after changing modems but new modem worked better for KSC. Also had no joy using a USB model for dial up but used USB fine for ADSL. Perhaps it is worth learning what chip set your ISP modems are using and try to match up? Also software setup of modem can make a difference. Believe INET used to have instructions to give one command to help with disconnects so might want to check site out under support to see if it is still listed and give it a try. After using ADSL just hope never have to go back to dial up. :o

ToT ADSL worked well in Phuket since December 26th (the tsunami). Now, in last 2 days it has gone down (in Phuket) at 4:00pm exactly yesterday (Jan. 31) and now today at exactly 9:30 pm it has gone down. Don't waste your time calling any call centre at ToT, a gang of monkeys would be better able to service your call. Seriously don't bother calling any "help" line unles you want a good laugh or you want to waste even more time with this joke of a company called ToT.

NO ONE on the other end of the line has any clue 1) what is ADSL 2) why is falang bothering them all the time 3) who is this guy on the phone complaing about ToT 4) maybe they have a virus on the PC 5) excuse me sir whats your phone number (this from a PHONE COMPANY YOU JUST DIALED) 6) what flavor of modem do you have 7 ) what flavor of icecream u like 8) we will call you back TOMORROW OK

Now I am using my procom dial-up as backup, it is the best I have found for Phuket, never any problems with speed or connection. Bit expensive though. www.procom.in.th

/rant off

Seriously don't bother calling any "help" line unles you want a good laugh or you want to waste even more time with this joke of a company called ToT.

I went into the TOT head office for Phrae Province to enqire why a friends phone had not been installed yet.

1) She couldn't find the paperwork

2) She couldn't phone the engineers because her phone wasn't working

Inspires confidence doesn't it .

...I went into the TOT head office for Phrae Province to enquire why a friends phone had not been installed yet.

1)  She couldn't find the paperwork 

2)  She couldn't phone the engineers because her phone wasn't working

Inspires confidence doesn't it .

:D:D:D I went to Krung Thai bank in Phuket City to transfer some money from the Head Office branch in Sukhumvit Road, to the Phuket City branch. They couldn't call their head office in Bangkok because they didn't have the number. :D:D:o

....I have been connected for  119 hours....

Oooooh, I know - let's have a competition: see who can stay online the longest :o:D

So far, 5 hours 41 minutes for me :D

Does XP have a log somewhere that shows log-on duration ?

If I get disconnected I won't know how long I was on for.

Current log-on 5 days 9hours

....I have been connected for  119 hours....

Oooooh, I know - let's have a competition: see who can stay online the longest :o:D

So far, 5 hours 41 minutes for me :D

Does XP have a log somewhere that shows log-on duration ?

If I get disconnected I won't know how long I was on for.

Current log-on 5 days 9hours

Dumeter will show you accumulated dial up time, per day.

We are right next to the ocean so hubby sprayed the phone cable box with a bit of lightweight oil and that seemed to solve the disconnect problems. It has not solved the spotty speeds tho. Fast then slow, fast then slow. We called TT&T yesterday (ha ha) and after sitting on hold for 15 minutes she said, there was nothing wrong with their server, didn't know why we were having problems.

I was just curious if anyone else out there was having problems or if it was just me :D . Might switch modems and see if that helps. If it doesn't maybe we will get the phone guy to come check our lines. (helps that hubby is friends with the phone lineman :o )

We are right next to the ocean so hubby sprayed the phone cable box with a bit of lightweight oil and that seemed to solve the disconnect problems. It has not solved the spotty speeds tho. Fast then slow, fast then slow. We called TT&T yesterday (ha ha) and after sitting on hold for 15 minutes she said, there was nothing wrong with their server, didn't know why we were having problems.

I was just curious if anyone else out there was having problems or if it was just me  :D . Might switch modems and see if that helps. If it doesn't maybe we will get the phone guy to come check our lines.  (helps that hubby is friends with the phone lineman :o )

If you are talking about the little lightning bleed off box that is normally outside on the wall the cover should slip off (pull up) and there are screws that can be made tighter on the wires and that should help even more than oil. If you have wall connecter inside house check the screws on that also. A tight connection helps phone lines a lot.

....Dumeter will show you accumulated dial up time, per day.

:D I use DUMeter all the time, but didn't notice that option! Doh :D ! I've just turned it on. :D

But I tend to turn off my PC every night - or to be more accurate, everytime I go to bed :o . Although my lap top has a fan to keep it cool - and it does come on and go off as necessary - I always like to turn it off once a day just so that if I have made any configuration changes and I've forgotten to 'save' them, after I reboot I will see that the change has not been saved and can fix it. If I leave it on for days, I'll probably forget what I did.

It's also good to reboot to recover any 'lost' memory that some programs don't release when they exit or have an error.