Roadtrip To Khon Kaen.

davethailand

Don´t stop for food in Pon. I did. I had my first ever hot dog and kebab made from dog (Hope it wasn´t road kill. The thought still haunts me). I didn´t notice until after all the food already had been eaten. The meat was rough but it usually is at these establishments. After adding Naam Phrik everything tastes chili and fish sauce anyway. My hands smelled just like I´d been petting a dirty dog. Found out later from locals that Pon´s road side restaurants are infamous in this regard.

Plan on getting a very early ferry and then plan on stopping off for the night somewhere around the Hua Hin area. Its a long old drive and its nice to be a bit fresh before traversing the Bangkok bypass's.

HL :)

Plan on getting a very early ferry and then plan on stopping off for the night somewhere around the Hua Hin area.

HL :D

Pattaya - KhonKaen road trip?

Baffled.

:)

Trip should take about 8 hrs including stops. Have plenty of small money available, in general 200 THB every time you are stopped by the cops. You'll find KK a lot quieter than Pattaya (and then some). Stop in town centre, there's naff all outside - but that's the way I like it. Don't expect the same 'facilities' that are on offer in Pattaya, but if that's what you want you wouldn't be planning a trip would you. Hope you enjoy this neck of the woods, it is certainly different,this is the real Thailand (just my opinion).

Cheers

Agree with the police comment. Stay out of the right hand lane as much as possible. That,s there favourite one.

If you can find them, Khon Kaen does have "beaches". Pattaya 2 and Bangsaen 2. At the Uborat Dam . About an hour and a half from Khon Kaen. Lots of food places, with banana boat rides , paddle boats etc.

I got stopped yesterday near Korat. Never pay more than 100 baht. I have it ready in my right hand. When they come up to the window, the nice policeman sees it, grabs it quick as a little bunny and thanks you for the donation. You then may proceed on your travels.

I usually don't even know why I was stopped and am never there over 15 seconds.

I got stopped yesterday near Korat. Never pay more than 100 baht. I have it ready in my right hand. When they come up to the window, the nice policeman sees it, grabs it quick as a little bunny and thanks you for the donation. You then may proceed on your travels.

I usually don't even know why I was stopped and am never there over 15 seconds.

I was surprised to be asked for 400 baht for alleged speeding near Ban Phai recently. No doubt a discount would have been possible. I used to pay sometimes but now find that mentioning my affiliation with a public sector organisation usually does the trick - as it did in this case.

Plan on getting a very early ferry and then plan on stopping off for the night somewhere around the Hua Hin area.

Pattaya - KhonKaen road trip?

Baffled.

Not as baffled as me. :D

haha nobody is more baffled than me....sorry guys..I had in my mind you were travelling from Samui...dont know where i got that from though !!!!!

i got stopped for the right lane thing too but they let me off, no fine.

near the Kosa hotel, next to the steak house place there's a great little Thai pub/club with a live band and coyote show. and my god, the girls are drop dead gorgeous, all 20 yr old college girls. really friendly but you need to speak Thai. no automatic special services like in Pattaya but this is Thailand, i'm sure anything's possible.

people up north are so nice. compared to a dump like Pattaya, you will not believe you are in the same country. go and enjoy, i certainly do.

I got stopped for hogging the outside lane near Ban Phai (I was the only one on the whole road for about 15kms) but the police man was so shocked to see a western women behind the wheel with a luk krueng baby in a car seat in the back that he just looked at first confused, then smiled & moved me on my way :)

I was stopped for being in the wrong lane, I told my wife to tell the officer that had I of been in the left hand lane I would of crashed into the the 3 trucks that were travelling at 25kms an hour , she didnt she told him it was my first time driving in Thailand instead.It worked as he waved me on without charge.

Depending on what your little road trip is looking for , I would suggest carrying on past KK to Udon as there is a larger night life scene there, specially when there's football on over the weekend. Theres even a gogo there if you can find it.Coming up from Pattaya Udon would be a little more like what your used to and its only another 90mins drive or so.

Edited by mickj88

Once you are there if you want to do something unforgettable I recommend a trip to the Thai division 1 football.

The matches attract over a few thousand are are always vibrant with drums and singing. With a few beers it makes a great afternoon out.

more info at www.thaileaguefootball.com

i got stopped for the right lane thing too but they let me off, no fine.

near the Kosa hotel, next to the steak house place there's a great little Thai pub/club with a live band and coyote show. and my god, the girls are drop dead gorgeous, all 20 yr old college girls. really friendly but you need to speak Thai. no automatic special services like in Pattaya but this is Thailand, i'm sure anything's possible.

people up north are so nice. compared to a dump like Pattaya, you will not believe you are in the same country. go and enjoy, i certainly do.

Thanks for the tips, i've been around Thailand a bit already and a mate who is joining is half thai/ half Danish and is fluent in thai so we'll be ok.

I wouldn't call Pattaya a dump though.

Once you are there if you want to do something unforgettable I recommend a trip to the Thai division 1 football.

The matches attract over a few thousand are are always vibrant with drums and singing. With a few beers it makes a great afternoon out.

more info at www.thaileaguefootball.com

Might be an idea, seen Pattaya Utd already and the atmosphere is great. :D

Edited by davethailand