Etihad Very Competive Prices ,are They Any Good ?

This is beginning to look like the Etihad fan club thread, but they are my favorite airline from Manchester by far. Normally cheaper and better in every way than my second and third favourites, Emirates and Qatar. There are no direct flights from Manchester by anyone so that isn't an option at any price and the Etihad layover in the new terminal at Abu Dhabi is just about the right length for me to stretch my legs. I've also flown Manchester to BKK and return with Turkish Airlines and Finnair because of special price deals at the time - never again!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is beginning to look like the Etihad fan club thread, but they are my favorite airline from Manchester by far. Normally cheaper and better in every way than my second and third favourites, Emirates and Qatar. There are no direct flights from Manchester by anyone so that isn't an option at any price and the Etihad layover in the new terminal at Abu Dhabi is just about the right length for me to stretch my legs. I've also flown Manchester to BKK and return with Turkish Airlines and Finnair because of special price deals at the time - never again!

If you keep your eyes peeled, at certain times of the year BA offer flights to Bangkok return for 399 GBP and you can add on the domestic flight from Manchester/Birmingham etc. for 60 quid.

I am feeling that BA are improving now and on an upward trend for Y class customers.

I'm flying with Etihad BKK-LHR-BKK in mid-June. I bought my ticket about a month ago for 27275THB return.

This will be my second time flying this route, and I highly recommend it (no complaints on the first trip, anyway).

Abu Dhabi airport is terrible, but that doesn't reflect poorly on the airline itself.

Maybe you guys should check out Jet Airways (India). I paid only 240 UK pounds one way from Bangkok to Heathrow via Mumbai (1.5-hour stopover) and everything was spot-on perfect. Great service, great crew (Indian politeness and hospitality, sexy and well-groomed ladies), great food, amazing plane (brand-new, comfortable, quiet Boeing 777) and overall a relaxing and pleasant experience. How can you go wrong for 240 pounds? You can only get this very cheap price if you book on the Jet Airways website and book well ahead of time. I don't feel comfortable stopping over in the Middle East (i.e. harsh punishments if they detect anything untoward in your luggage) and Mumbai makes a nice change from that. Not the best-designed or most efficient airport in the world (to say the least), but the Indians there are so pleasant and all speak English, so a 1.5-hour stopover seems a relaxing way to break your journey BKK-LHR and allows you to stretch your legs and enjoy some truly great Indian food that they have in that airport. I highly recommend Jet Airways over any of those Middle East carriers.

If you keep your eyes peeled, at certain times of the year BA offer flights to Bangkok return for 399 GBP and you can add on the domestic flight from Manchester/Birmingham etc. for 60 quid.

I am feeling that BA are improving now and on an upward trend for Y class customers.

Yes they do but last March i went to book a BA bargain & between quoting & booking the deal ended, it turned out to be the best lost bargain ever as i'd have been stuck in that new T5 lost baggage missed flights mess of last April.

A note on the £60 to LHR from MAN the quote i had included the transfer, i think it was £499 last year as oil was a lot higher than now.

I then flew with Emirates who had to land at Mumbai due a guy from Liverpool having an heart attack right in front of me in the middle of the Indian ocean they handled it real well letting passengers know what was going on, i asked how this poor guy would be taken care of in case maybe he had no insurance etc the chief steward told me they would foot the bill in India & sort out any financial matters out at a later day i've always wonder what came of this poor old guy.

Maybe you guys should check out Jet Airways (India). I paid only 240 UK pounds one way from Bangkok to Heathrow via Mumbai (1.5-hour stopover) and everything was spot-on perfect. Great service, great crew (Indian politeness and hospitality, sexy and well-groomed ladies), great food, amazing plane (brand-new, comfortable, quiet Boeing 777) and overall a relaxing and pleasant experience. How can you go wrong for 240 pounds? You can only get this very cheap price if you book on the Jet Airways website and book well ahead of time. I don't feel comfortable stopping over in the Middle East (i.e. harsh punishments if they detect anything untoward in your luggage) and Mumbai makes a nice change from that. Not the best-designed or most efficient airport in the world (to say the least), but the Indians there are so pleasant and all speak English, so a 1.5-hour stopover seems a relaxing way to break your journey BKK-LHR and allows you to stretch your legs and enjoy some truly great Indian food that they have in that airport. I highly recommend Jet Airways over any of those Middle East carriers.

Just got a quote LHR-BKK return 1 year £528 no where near Emirates £347 for a year long ticket can any one beat that price?

Also i'd have to get from the North West to Heathrow & back, this i know can be done by coach cheaply but its the thought of another 3/4 hour bus journey on the return leg when your absolutely knackered.

:)

Enter the Arab flight crew of Abu Dhabi Aircraft Technologies (ADAT) to conduct pre-delivery tests on the ground, such as engine run-ups prior to delivery to

Etihad Airways in Abu Dhabi.

The ADAT crew taxied the A340-600 to the run-up area.

Then they took all Four engines to takeoff power with a virtually empty aircraft.

Not having Read the run-up manuals, they had no clue just how light an empty A340-600 Really is.

The takeoff warning horn was blaring away in the cockpit because they had All 4 engines at full power. The aircraft computers thought they were trying to take off, but it had not been configured properly (flaps/slats, etc..)

Then one of the ADAT crew decided to pull the circuit breaker on the Ground Proximity Sensor to silence the alarm. This fools the aircraft into thinking it is in the air.

The computers automatically released all the Brakes and set the aircraft rocketing forward.

The ADAT crew had no idea that this is a safety feature so that pilots can't land with the brakes on.

Not one member of the seven-man Arab crew was smart enough to throttle back the engines from their max power setting, so the $200 million brand-new Aircraft crashed into a blast barrier, totaling it.

The extent of injuries to the crew is unknown due to the news blackout in the major media in France and elsewhere.

Coverage of the story was deemed insulting to Muslim Arabs.

Airbus $200 million aircraft meets retaining wall

and the wall wins.

Lets not rush to buy your ticket for ETIHAD AIRLINES!!

:D

post-17974-1241963886_thumb.jpg

post-17974-1241963909_thumb.jpg

Coalminer - can you provided details as in date and flight number? I'll check with my contacts and find out what the real reason was for the delay. I somehow doubt Islam had anything to do with it. If you happend to travel on a certain day a several months back in 2008 than it could have been because the airspace of the UAE was closed to all air traffic per NOTAM and the pilot did not have a desire to meet Allah that day. Not a good thing to fly when the air defense network is being tested live, and no they would not have informed you of that because the local authorities do not like to advertise before or after an event.

ELECTRONIC TICKET

PASSENGER ITINERARY RECEIPT

CHAWLA TRAVEL N TRADING DATE: 12 NOVEMBER 2007

22 PATPONG 1 BANGKOK 10500 AGENT: 0123

BANGKOK NAME: MATIYAPAK/CARAMEN MISS

IATA : 353 00856

TELEPHONE: 233-7468-9

ISSUING AIRLINE : ETIHAD AIRWAYS

TICKET NUMBER : ETKT 607 4969763284

BOOKING REF : AMADEUS: 376VIS, AIRLINE: EY/376VIS

FROM /TO FLIGHT CL DATE DEP FARE BASIS NVB NVA BAG ST

BKK SUVARNABHUM EY 401 Q 15DEC 2010 QEE6MTHCH 15DEC 20K OK

ABU DHABI ARRIVAL TIME: 2345

TERMINAL:1

ABU DHABI EY 57 Q 16DEC 0245 QEE6MTHCH 16DEC 20K OK

BRUSSELS ARRIVAL TIME: 0700

BRUSSELS EY 58 L 16JAN 1110 LEE3MTHCH 15MAR 20K OK

ABU DHABI ARRIVAL TIME: 2030

ABU DHABI EY 402 L 16JAN 2240 LEE3MTHCH 15MAR 20K OK

BKK SUVARNABHUM ARRIVAL TIME: 0730

AT CHECK-IN, PLEASE SHOW A PICTURE IDENTIFICATION AND THE DOCUMENT YOU

GAVE FOR REFERENCE AT RESERVATION TIME

ENDORSEMENTS : VALID ON EY ONLY NONREROUT/NONENDO NO SHOW CHARGE 1000

TOUR CODE : BKKE0110

PAYMENT : NR CASH

FARE CALCULATION : BKK EY X/AUH EY BRU324.10EY X/AUH EY

BKK311.12NUC635.22END ROE32.501000

AIR FARE : THB 20650

TAX : THB 5120YQ 700TS 1175XT

TOTAL : THB 27645

NOTICE

CARRIAGE AND OTHER SERVICES PROVIDED BY THE CARRIER ARE

SUBJECT TO CONDITIONS OF CARRIAGE, WHICH ARE HEREBY INCORPORATED BY

REFERENCE. THESE CONDITIONS MAY BE OBTAINED FROM THE ISSUING CARRIER.

THE ITINERARY/RECEIPT CONSTITUTES THE 'PASSENGER TICKET' FOR

THE PURPOSES OF ARTICLE 3 OF THE WARSAW CONVENTION, EXCEPT WHERE THE

CARRIER DELIVERS TO THE PASSENGER ANOTHER DOCUMENT COMPLYING WITH THE

REQUIREMENTS OF ARTICLE 3.

NOTICE

IF THE PASSENGER'S JOURNEY INVOLVES AN ULTIMATE DESTINATION OR STOP IN

A COUNTRY OTHER THAN THE COUNTRY OF DEPARTURE THE WARSAW CONVENTION MAY

BE APPLICABLE AND THE CONVENTION GOVERNS AND IN MOST CASES LIMITS THE

LIABILITY OF CARRIERS FOR DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY AND IN RESPECT OF

LOSS OF OR DAMAGE TO BAGGAGE. SEE ALSO NOTICES HEADED ADVICE TO

INTERNATIONAL PASSENGERS ON LIMITATION OF LIABILITY' AND 'NOTICE OF

BAGGAGE LIABILITY LIMITATIONS'.

PAGE:1/1

Of course I am very much biased being that I work for them, but I have to say the service is excellent and the food not so bad for those traveling in economy class. Drinks offered throughout the flight and brand new aircraft as well. Layover is generally not longer than 2 hours sometimes shorter. The airport in Dubai not the best but with new terminal this is improving. Layover gives you time to stretch your legs and have a good cup of coffee and if still hungry a good panini sandwich in the cafe downstairs.

As for being on par with Emirates I would pretty much concur with that statement except we are better with a younger and fresher and less jaded crew. Though they still are a good airline!

I hope you were not a pilot! Etihad transit through Abu Dhabi not Dubai! I am sure that was just a typo.

Excellent airline. I only fly Etihad now. The picture that someone posted here of the ground incident with Etihad happened at Airbus on ground acceptance at Toulouse. That is a different topic for another forum :)

To the other poster yes the endless list of banned substances in UAE airports still stands. Just about every medicine is banned unless you have a copy of your prescriptiion and an attested Doctors letter.

Have friends who are tempted to travel in July,coach-economy class LHR-BKK-LHR ?

Would you recommend them ?

Wiley Coyote

HI flew with Ethiad and planes and food is ok. But i wouldent recomend a long stop at Abu Dhabi , airport was a real dissapointment. Really filthy toilettes and they wanted 8 us dollar for a coke and wanted extra money for paying with a 50 dollar bill :)

regards mikki

try to get on their website for the past 3 days without success.Anyone else has this problem?

Just this minute tried their site all seems fine did a quick quote £569 from 12/05 to 12/04/2010 that's £200 more than Emirates wow! :)

try to get on their website for the past 3 days without success.Anyone else has this problem?

Just this minute tried their site all seems fine did a quick quote £569 from 12/05 to 12/04/2010 that's £200 more than Emirates wow! :)

Same ticket/dates Qatar Airways £635 as they say up to u.

For me though its Emirates at £347 :D

I have flown 6 times Bangkok to Dublin (Ireland), cattle class and am more than happy with the service/price/entertainment system/alcohol etc.. I have been upgraded twice (join on line their rewards programme) cos the plane was overbooked in economy (Dublin to Abu Dhabi). However I really believe that the only test for an airline is how they deal with a valid compliant. I have yet to make a compliant to Ethihad. I no longer fly Thai or Malaysian Airlines cos of their response to valid complaints in the past (Business Class Thai airways and I had to change seats 3 times in the same flight)

The only negative is the stop-over -- U will either enjoy the 90 minutes to stretch ur legs or u wont – Be careful when buying duty free at the departing airport cos of the liquid rules. Because u are transiting via Abu Dhabi, this will affect you.

The airport is appalling, nothing to be recommended, no where to enjoy a 'relaxing' reasonably priced coffee, but free internet (about 10 machines) at a very, very slow speed

As I've said before I can't praise the flight crew highly enough, but the administration side is hopeless and they just ignore any communication (complaints). At least that is how I've found them to be - perhaps other people have had more success.

As I've said before I can't praise the flight crew highly enough, but the administration side is hopeless and they just ignore any communication (complaints). At least that is how I've found them to be - perhaps other people have had more success.

I agree that Etihad are NOW overall very good. Have had some issues with them in their younger days, hired in crappy old bangers of planes because new Air buses were late etc. etc.

Most famous incident was when they didn't know where they were going! :)

It was just at the time of the change over from Don Muang to swampy poom.

Asked at service desk at Abu Dhabi & told "new airport".

Didn't believe it & went back to the desk again later & asked someone else who made a phone call, yep, new airport.

Texted TGF & got a text back along the lines of "well you're on your own then, I ain't coming all the way out there"!

It was only through an absolute chance meeting in the airport with the captain of the flight that it was conformed as being the last flight into DM.

There were some other issues on these 2 flights also & exactly as Westerner said, trying to make a complaint stick was, to say the least, hard work. Passed from person - person - person. I kept at it relentlessly, but it took months & a mountain of phone calls & emails (most of them to bouncing addresses i was given!). The eventual long list of complaints included the saga of "not being able to complain"!

Their prices WERE very good, but now they aren't mentioned in the prices i get sent. Emirates are price king right now.

If Etihad can keep their prices competitive i wouldn't even bother looking elsewhere.

Of course I am very much biased being that I work for them, but I have to say the service is excellent and the food not so bad for those traveling in economy class. Drinks offered throughout the flight and brand new aircraft as well. Layover is generally not longer than 2 hours sometimes shorter. The airport in Dubai not the best but with new terminal this is improving. Layover gives you time to stretch your legs and have a good cup of coffee and if still hungry a good panini sandwich in the cafe downstairs.

As for being on par with Emirates I would pretty much concur with that statement except we are better with a younger and fresher and less jaded crew. Though they still are a good airline!

Strange you say that, its commonplace for Etihad crew to call their airline " Shitetihad ". The airline seems fairly good at breaking pre-employment promises to crew, cutting salaries, making crew sit at the airport on 'standby' duties & housing them at Etihad world, which is virtually in the middle of nowhere. Abu-Dhabi certainly isnt the greatest place in the world. Having experienced both airlines from a crews perspective, I would say Emirates is the better of the two.

I'm guessing flightcrew1, that etihad is the first airline you have worked for?

Emirates points offer extended to economy so you can get closer to earning that free flight.

I think you need 70,000 for a freebie?

So now the cheapest Airline & one of the best rewards offer on the net forget Etihad.

Get onboard with Double and Triple Miles on Emirates

Dear

Between now and 30th June 2009, you can earn Triple Miles in First and Business Class, and Double Miles in Economy Class on selected flights from the UK to Dubai or beyond. With over 80 fascinating destinations on offer, there has never been a more rewarding time to fly Emirates.

Take a look at how many Skywards Miles you could collect on a return trip from London Heathrow, for example, to:

To | Economy | Business | First

Dubai | 13,656 | 23,898 | 27,312

Sydney | 43,976 | 76,958 | 87,952

Nairobi | 22,496 | 39,368 | 44,992

Bangkok | 25,784 | 45,122 | 51,568

So a return Economy Class trip to Sydney will earn you an Economy Class reward ticket to Dubai.

All you have to do is register for this offer before you fly, then take an eligible flight and we'll double or triple your Skywards Miles*.

Register today

To register please visit http://e.emirates.com/a/tBKDYcKB7RC0OB7t1w...rson_id=5216755, then take an eligible flight and we'll double or triple your Skywards Miles.

For more details on this special offer, please visit

http://e.emirates.com/a/tBKDYcKB7RC0OB7t1w...RHEw6/glob16-75

We look forward to welcoming you onboard.

* You will earn bonus Miles only on flights listed in this offer

Edited by Mali1964

I have flown 6 times Bangkok to Dublin (Ireland), cattle class and am more than happy with the service/price/entertainment system/alcohol etc.. I have been upgraded twice (join on line their rewards programme) cos the plane was overbooked in economy (Dublin to Abu Dhabi). However I really believe that the only test for an airline is how they deal with a valid compliant. I have yet to make a compliant to Ethihad. I no longer fly Thai or Malaysian Airlines cos of their response to valid complaints in the past (Business Class Thai airways and I had to change seats 3 times in the same flight)

The only negative is the stop-over -- U will either enjoy the 90 minutes to stretch ur legs or u wont – Be careful when buying duty free at the departing airport cos of the liquid rules. Because u are transiting via Abu Dhabi, this will affect you.

The airport is appalling, nothing to be recommended, no where to enjoy a 'relaxing' reasonably priced coffee, but free internet (about 10 machines) at a very, very slow speed

Anecdote: My son used be a flight attendant on Etihad (now purser on Wataniya) he was providing that great service..LOL. His main complaint was Indian migrant worker passengers. One time he had a passenger ask "where is the bathroom for British passport holders" another time a male Indian passenger sitting next to a women with a baby who'd just been supplied with a diaper asked "where is mine".....fun job..

OOOOOOOOOOOPS !

Not new, but reckon many do not know, or are aware of the mentally challenged personal in Arab States.

Unfortunately, the pix did not work with copy paste.

Read story first, then try this....

http://airlineworld.wordpress.com/2007/11/26/etihad-airbus-crash-pictures/

This brand spanking new Airbus 340-600, the largest

passenger airplane ever built, sits just outside its hangar

in Toulouse , France without a single hour of airtime.

Enter the Arab flight crew of Abu Dhabi Aircraft Technologies

(ADAT) to conduct pre-delivery tests on the ground, such as

engine run-ups prior to delivery to Etihad Airways in Abu Dhabi

The ADAT crew taxied the A340-600 to the run-up area.

Then they took all Four engines to takeoff power with a

virtually empty aircraft. Not having Read the run-up

manuals, they had no clue just how light an empty

A340-600 Really is.

The takeoff warning horn was blaring away in the cockpit

because they had All 4 engines at full power.

The aircraft computers thought they were trying to take off,

but it had not been configured properly (flaps/slats, etc.)

Then one of the ADAT crew decided to pull the circuit

breaker on the Ground Proximity Sensor to silence the alarm.

This fools the aircraft into thinking it is in the air.

The computers automatically released all the Brakes

and set the aircraft rocketing forward.

The ADAT crew had no idea that this is a safety feature

so that pilots can't land with the brakes on.

Not one member of the seven-man Arab crew was smart enough

to throttle back the engines from their max power setting,

so the $200 million brand-new Aircraft crashed into a blast

barrier, totaling it.

The extent of injuries to the crew is unknown due to the

news blackout in the major media in France and elsewhere.

Coverage of the story was deemed insulting to Muslim Arabs.

Finally, the photos are starting to leak out.

Airbus $200 million aircraft meets retaining wall and the wall wins.

pict0012.thumbnail.jpg pict0007.thumbnail.jpg More pix at the earlier mentioned site, all enlargeable withh usual click.

If this had been, BA, Qantas, Thai or any western airline, the news would have been front page top on news on telly.

Edited by Zpete

Read back through the thread Pete.

This incident has already been covered and attracted the wrath of one of the airlines shareholders! :)

Hi OC.

Note, my main comment was NOT about the airline.

Mainly how things are minimized when it it concerns certain countries/race related/ etc.

Read back through the thread Pete.

This incident has already been covered and attracted the wrath of one of the airlines shareholders! :)

Hi OC.

Note, my main comment was NOT about the airline.

Mainly how things are minimized when it it concerns certain countries/race related/ etc.

The A380 double decker is the largest ever built the A340 is just a baby in comparison.

Strange you say that, its commonplace for Etihad crew to call their airline " Shitetihad ". The airline seems fairly good at breaking pre-employment promises to crew, cutting salaries, making crew sit at the airport on 'standby' duties & housing them at Etihad world, which is virtually in the middle of nowhere. Abu-Dhabi certainly isnt the greatest place in the world. Having experienced both airlines from a crews perspective, I would say Emirates is the better of the two.

I'm guessing flightcrew1, that etihad is the first airline you have worked for?

Sorry, but it is not commonplace for Etihad crew to call the airline Shiteihad, though I have heard it used of course. Not everybody is happy as is normal in all jobs. But for me, any promises made to me and my mates have been kept, my salary is quite good and we don't sit at the airport on 'standby' duty, but standby is on our schedule as is normal for all airlines, but we don't sit at the airport. As far as housing goes, you can choose to stay at Etihad World and we also have Abraj Housing which is deluxe and next to the airport. Crew CHOOSE to stay at company housing as it's cheap and the crew can save money. In my case I commute from BKK when I have flights. Overall there is nothing to do in Abu Dhabi or Dubai or any of the middle eastern hubs after seeing them once so where we stay does not really matter.

As far as being the first airline I worked for, it's not. I worked for Gulf Air for 20 years and was hired specifically for my seniority as well as other senior flight crew to run the number 1, 2 and 3 positions on board the aircraft.

Anyway, as I have said and of course I'm being biased but I think Etihad is the better of the two airlines.

Hi there

I am in the UK and looking to come to Thailand for a 3 week break next March, although this is flexible. I cannot find any of these sub £400 prices that are being quoted. I have looked on netflights, and kayak, and the Ethiad website.

I have also checked out Jet Airways, but their price was around £530 - no where near the £240 noted above.

Are these lower prices only available if you are returning a year later?

I have never managed to find these bargain flights - not quite sure what I am doing wrong??

With regards to Ethiad I have used them on a number of occassions, and have been pretty impressed with them. I have also used Emirates, and for my money Ethiad had the edge, slightly. Although it was a couple of years back that I last used Ethiad. Emirates stung me quite badly once, over 4000 baht for being 3kg over the 20k limit. A lesson learned there!!!

As a previous poster, I am limited to those flights with stopovers, as I live near Manchester, and hence Manchester Airport is the most convenient.

Any advice, hints tips or recommendations on getting those bargain flights gratefully received.

Cheers

:)

I have only ever used Ethiad. And on the whole have found it a good experiance. Bkk - Man

One gripe is the time between meal sevice.

I did on on occasion get the morning flight out of Bkk 1 hr into the flight B/feast was served that was Ok

After a 6 hr flight Landed at Abu Dubi 2 Hrs wait for the Connection to Manchester

Then 1 Hr into the Manchester leg Bar service when I could have Murderd the Main meal.

over 8 Hrs No food service. Surely bar service would have been better AFTER the Meal

Flight 1 Are you paying attention.

Plus I did ask for another bread roll that took a good 20 mins to come

I Know you will say the attendents would have been busy, I did ask when All the meals had been served.

I was so hungry at this point I asked the pssanger to my side who did not want his bread roll if I could have it.

He obliged so I did get Two Eventualy. I only Weigh 58 Kilos and do not consume vast amounts, Never the less I was Starving.

Maybe if they were to Offer a free Coffee and sandwich at A.D That would cost Ethiad very little most travelers do not have local Curency and for a small purchase it is just not worth it to change money.

Even if Ethiad offered this at a small extra cost it would make the short stopover easier.

Other than that I would give Ethiad 8 out of 10.

The mikey

The good prices on the Ethiad Site are quoted from London Heathrow £ 385 Return Includes Taxes

Might be worth the trip to Heathrow depends on Train cost of course

I Use Manchester myself. but yes it is more expensive, At the moment A Lot more Expensive