Uk Passport

Hi there i think your wife will have to go to a ceremony Once complete she may apply for a British passport.

check out uk border agency, under naturalisation as a British citizen, and form an, and i think it cost £720

iam not to sure myself on this someone with better info might help

pete

My wife got ILR last year and will have been in the UK 3 years tomorrow, can she now apply for a passport, if she can does how to go about it? All replies gratefully received!

yes she can now apply for natrulisation then a british passport, BUT remember the three year rule set out below:

There are seven requirements you need to meet before you apply:

• you are aged 18 or over; and
  • you are of sound mind; and
  • you can communicate in English, Welsh or Scottish Gaelic to an acceptable degree; and
  • you have sufficient knowledge of life in the United Kingdom; and
  • you are of good character; and
  • you are the husband, wife or civil partner of a British citizen; and
  • you meet the residential requirements; or
  • your husband, wife or civil partner is in Crown or designated service outside the United Kingdom.

Residential requirements

In order to demonstrate the residential requirements for naturalisation you need to:

• have been resident in the United Kingdom for at least three years (this is known as the residential qualifying period); and
  • have been present in the United Kingdom three years before the date of your application; and
  • have not spent more than 270 days outside the United Kingdom during the three-year period; and
  • have not spend more than 90 days outside the United Kingdom in the last 12 months of the three-year period; and
  • have not been in breach of the immigration rules at any stage during the three-year period.
  • what these rules mean above about residential times is that if she hes stayed out of the country say for 150 days in the three year period she would have to wait for 5 years to get it, if she stayed out for 270 or more she would have to wait for 7 years and so on, my wife went home once, then to spain three times for nearly three months but this didnt effect her application. however on a final note she cannot have county court judgements, or criminal convictions committed in the UK, if the CCJs are settled then she has no problem. the process takes upto six months.
  • regards mikemin :):D:D

what these rules mean above about residential times is that if she hes stayed out of the country say for 150 days in the three year period she would have to wait for 5 years to get it, if she stayed out for 270 or more she would have to wait for 7 years and so on

Not quite.

The residency rules mean that in the three years prior to applying the spouse/civil partner of a British citizen must not have spent more than a total of 270 days out of the UK, with no more than 90 days in the final year.

How long one spent out of the UK before that three year period starts is irrelevent.