Visa Run To Vientenne

Yes you need a visa..........if you are going over the Friendship Bridge they are available at agents just before the bridge or you can sort one out yourself.............cost, from what i remember $20 (but not 100% its been a while). Edit according to the Laos website its $35 US.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Embassy of the Lao P.D.R

2222 S Street, NW

Washington, DC 20008

VISA INFORMATION

(excluding Lao native use)

l. Documentary requirements:

Two application forms filled out in duplicate.

Three recent photographs.

a passport must have at least six months remaining validity.

If applying by mail, enclose prepaid envelope for return of passport.

2. Visa fees.

$ 35.00 - US citizens

$ 42.00 - Canada citizens

$ 15.00 - Service charge

The fees must be paid by money order or certified check only

3. Validity of Visas.

All types of visas are issued for one entry and must be used within two months of issue date.

4. Types of visas, Length of permissible stay and additional documents required:

-Transit visa - Maximum five days for stay( in Vientiane only).

- Proof of an entry visa and air ticket to the third country.

-Tourist visa - Fifteen days (non-extendable).

- Visa processing should be made through an eligible tour company in the United States

or Canada which has a contract with a tour company in the Lao PDR or directly through

the Lao Embassy in Washington, DC.

-Visitor visa - One month for stay( can be extended for two additional months).

- Visa request can be processed either through a guarantor in Laos or the Lao Embassy

in Washington, DC.

-Business visa - Visa authorization is arranged by sponsor in Laos and the Embassy can not process

visas until it receives authorization or approval from the authorities concerned in Laos.

- One month for stay (can be extended until completion of your business term).

-Multiple entry visa - available from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Consular Department only.

Notes:

- All applicants wishing to travel to the Lao PDR on the above mentioned purposes should submit the

required documents to the Lao Embassy in Washington,DC 20 working days prior to departure date.

- For more information, please contact the Lao Embassy, Visa Office from Monday - Friday

at the following address:

2222 S. Street, N.W

Washington, DC 20008

Phone: (202) 667 0076 (From 9-12 am only).

Fax: (202) 332 4932

Embassy of the Lao P.D.R

Consular Section

Washington, DC, May 26, 2000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright © 1997 by the Lao Embassy, Washington D.C. All Rights Reserved.

Edited by thaiflyer1

Yes, you need a Lao Visa.

From memory its about 1000 Baht.

I was lazy and got the Visa agent to do everything for about 600 extra including the Thai embassy. All I did was sit in the Guesthouse, drink beer and miss my wife.

I don't remember seeing any Lao Television. Oh yes, your Thai phone only works really close to the river, and you can't but recharge cards.

That was a while ago, hope that is some help.

Matt

Just reading from another source the fee seems to vary according to the nationality of the applicant..............

LAO PEOPLE'S DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC

Peace Independence Democracy Unity Prosperity

The Embassy of the Lao P.D.R

520. 502/1-3 Soi Sahakarnpramoon, Pracha Uthit Road,

Wangthonglang, Bangkok 10310

VISA INFORMATION

Download Visa Form (PDF)

Visa fees

Transit visa (VTR)

Tourist visa (VT)

Visitor visa (B 3)

Business visa (B2)

Multiple entry visa

Visa on Arrival

2. Visa fees.

The visa fees are charged according to the nationalities on the reciprocity basis.

if your flying into vientiene and have an afternoon to spare in bangkok before you go it would be a good idea to get the visa before you set off, as they are very slow at the airport once u arrive. If ya got one already u could be getting a taxi into town within 10 minutes of touching down :o

If your travelling to Vientiene via the Friendship Bridge your best bet is to get a Visa ON Arrival at Laos side..... it costs $30 US or 1500 Baht..... you will also need a passport size photo and it just takes a few minutes to fill out the form.

Getting a visa in Bangkok is really a waste of time if your traveling via the bridge.

If you want some more info pm me.... I have been over that bridge 12 times now

• 2 years later...
If your travelling to Vientiene via the Friendship Bridge your best bet is to get a Visa ON Arrival at Laos side..... it costs $30 US or 1500 Baht..... you will also need a passport size photo and it just takes a few minutes to fill out the form.

Getting a visa in Bangkok is really a waste of time if your traveling via the bridge.

If you want some more info pm me.... I have been over that bridge 12 times now

Sounds like the guy to ask...Family and I are flying to Udon tomorrow night then over the bridge for some visas and wondering about a place to stay there in Vientianne...any groovy suggestions???