Selling Books

plachonubon

HI

Anyone know the best place to sell books in BKK? I have over 70, mostly novels.I thought a bookshop on Khao Sarn Rd might be the best bet? Anyone done this before? how much can i expect to get?

Thankx for any advice given...

DASA BOOK CAFE.COM BUY AND SELL USED BOOKS

dasabookcafe.com

Expect peanuts .....

The used book biz here always seems like a bit of a scam to me but I do buy books from Dasa's and they have an outstanding selection and they are easy to get to from the Skytrain.

I'd avoid Khao San Road.

I agree, I took a load to that one on Sukhumvit opposite Emporium and they consisted of good quality hardbacks non fiction and the sum I was offered prompted me to give them to the British Council who were holding some fare at the time. I hope they will hold another in the near future as I want to get rid of some more books.

I'm not sure why they pay such a low price for used books in Bangkok, but my guess is that the rents are so high that they have no choice.

Another thing is that most bookshops are SWAMPED with older beach type books (Grisham, Connelly, Patterson) and they can easily get them cheaply. They are just not worth much unless very newly published.

Also, hardbacks are almost imposssible to sell (at least in Chiang Mai), so buying them at any price is almost a waste of money.

There are lots of people who don't have the slightest idea about how used book stores work, who think that they know everything. It is not an easy business. ermm.gif

Funnily enough, I just sold a bunch of books to DASA. I had tried Elite, but they weren't really interested in buying. Anyway, DASA gave me just over B1,000 for about 10 books. It's peanuts if you consider many were in mint condition from Kinokuniya and only a couple of months old (with price tags around B500), but hey, I was glad to get the cash, and glad to get rid of the books.

I'd say, don't get hung up on how much money you'll get - if they paid much more, how would UG manage to eat at Miguel's every night?

Funnily enough, I just sold a bunch of books to DASA. I had tried Elite, but they weren't really interested in buying. Anyway, DASA gave me just over B1,000 for about 10 books. It's peanuts if you consider many were in mint condition from Kinokuniya and only a couple of months old (with price tags around B500), but hey, I was glad to get the cash, and glad to get rid of the books.

I'd say, don't get hung up on how much money you'll get - if they paid much more, how would UG manage to eat at Miguel's every night?

Well, my guess is that I pay more than that (from your description), but most people are not selling premium titles in "mint" condition They want to get rid of old, beat up Tom Clancys and such and no one is going to pay much for them.

Elite does buy, but they only want new and current titles. I had the same the same idea once. But I did not want to drag them all over only to be told no...and drag them home. I found out that you can donate them to the Neilson Hayes Library. They keep what they need for the shelves, the rest are sold at book sales to benefit the library. Always good to give something back.

Elite does buy, but they only want new and current titles. I had the same the same idea once. But I did not want to drag them all over only to be told no...and drag them home. I found out that you can donate them to the Neilson Hayes Library. They keep what they need for the shelves, the rest are sold at book sales to benefit the library. Always good to give something back.

Oh yes, Elite buys... but when I went in to enquire (before dragging the books down), they were very reluctant, leaving me to think that maybe they aren't that keen on buying just at the moment. Fair enough, nobody's throwing cash around these days. DASA on the phone said: "Sure, we'll take a look," which was a lot more positive - and so it turned out.

Well, there is the matter of selling the books, so they are just paying up front for used books. I'd say take what you can get. I sold some to the guy opposite Emporium, which it seems some here have done. He would give me double in the amount of credit I could use in the store as compared to cash, so I should have take the credit, but didn't. If you buy books from there a lot and go back to return it and get another it works out to be an alright deal. My friend did it all the time. I think his net spend ended up being 20-40 baht for each book read.

• 6 months later...