Getting A Taxi

Hi there, landing at Swampy airport, how to get a taxi to Pratumun area, what is the fare meter/non-meter....also is there a taxi-counter like the one they

used to have at the old Duang Muang airport which provides the passenger with a coupon and destination written on it ...thanks

Hi there, landing at Swampy airport, how to get a taxi to Pratumun area, what is the fare meter/non-meter....also is there a taxi-counter like the one they

used to have at the old Duang Muang airport which provides the passenger with a coupon and destination written on it ...thanks

Walk outside on the same level you pick up your luggage. Inside most of the people trying to grab you for their taxis want 1,000 baht. Outside they have a line for the public taxis. I stayed at the Pratinum area last week. It cost about 430 baht from Swampy to Pratinum because I paid a premium of 50 baht to get the taxi (you're guaranteed not to be ripped off) and the toll charges were included. They charge by meter. Going back to Swampy last Friday from Pratinum cost just over 240 baht, plus 70 baht for the tolls.

When you come out of customs into the hall. Go up 1 floor to the departures area. Walk outside and get a taxi that is dropping off a customer. I have never had 1 refuse to put the meter on as they are just happy to have a fare back into town. :)

When you come out of customs into the hall. Go up 1 floor to the departures area. Walk outside and get a taxi that is dropping off a customer. I have never had 1 refuse to put the meter on as they are just happy to have a fare back into town. :)

I've had many refuse to put the meter on. Just find one that will, there are plenty.

Walk outside on the same level you pick up your luggage. Inside most of the people trying to grab you for their taxis want 1,000 baht. Outside they have a line for the public taxis. I stayed at the Pratinum area last week. It cost about 430 baht from Swampy to Pratinum because I paid a premium of 50 baht to get the taxi (you're guaranteed not to be ripped off) and the toll charges were included. They charge by meter. Going back to Swampy last Friday from Pratinum cost just over 240 baht, plus 70 baht for the tolls.

Hi venturalaw

"and the toll charges were included" ------ I am not sure this is correct. confirmation please ???

I've had many refuse to put the meter on. Just find one that will, there are plenty.

Never once in 5 years have I had a taxi (allocated at the table) attempt not to use the meter.

Never once in 5 years have I had a taxi (allocated at the table) attempt not to use the meter.

Same here thay all put the meter on.

No, do not do that.

Go to the top floor and grab a taxi just after they drop of passengers heading for the airport. No surcharge, no scams, no "big taxi - 500 baht" ripoffs.

As said, the taxis are mostly happy just to get a fare back into town. If taxi #1 says "x baht" just walk away and grab the very next taxi.

I always used to say the same but last couple of times have not been pleasant. One taxi didn't even have a meter and the driver of the other became very aggresive when I reminded him to turn the meter on. For a time I felt like I was going to be assaulted, it got that nasty.

No, do not do that.

Go to the top floor and grab a taxi just after they drop of passengers heading for the airport. No surcharge, no scams, no "big taxi - 500 baht" ripoffs.

As said, the taxis are mostly happy just to get a fare back into town. If taxi #1 says "x baht" just walk away and grab the very next taxi.

Yes-- yes--- do that!!

There is only one advantage in going to the top floor (aircraft departures) ---- to avoid paying the 50 Bt airport surcharge applied to taxi's picking up downstairs. (and of course passed on to passengers)

My strong recommendation is to lash out "big time" and pay the 50 Bt. Each time the "table" downstairs allocates a Taxi -- the passenger is handed a "form" advising how to lodge a complaint re any mal-performance by the taxi driver. Hence ----- no "rip-offs.

With a large proportion of first timers arriving the temptation for some drivers to pull a stunt would probably be too strong. (such as not engaging the meter). This system works well. Use it.

Yes, works every time - fast and without the crowds.

I always used to say the same but last couple of times have not been pleasant. One taxi didn't even have a meter and the driver of the other became very aggresive when I reminded him to turn the meter on. For a time I felt like I was going to be assaulted, it got that nasty.

Hi jeffer

A little more info here please --- your taxi was allocated at "the table?" ---- you were handed a form with advice about recording the cab number and requesting you lodge a complaint re any problems you may encounter ?

I fully understand how my experiences with cabs in Bkk. are not likely to be universally applied --- but this sort of thing at the airport really astounds me!! Did you lodge a complaint ??

Taxi was allocated at the table as usual (I haven't gone to departures for a taxi since Don Muang).

Driver started complaining not long after leaving the airport about how far he had to go and how he wanted more than the usual fare. It was only then I noticed the meter wasn't on, probably only the third time I have ever had that happen anywhere as despite what people say I've found Thai taxi drivers almost always turn on the meter, no need to ask. I asked him to turn the meter on and he started getting very aggressive. He eventually turned on the meter and as it was late at night I shut up but it was a very unpleasant ride home as he muttered this and that and I started wondering if I was going to get mugged. Went to use my phone and he started up again, phone battery was almost dead and no answer anyway. When I got to where I live he really didn't want to show any ID but the security guys refused to let him in unless he handed his license over. 

Thought hard about complaining as I had the form they give you but decided against it as he knew where I lived. I don't know if anything would have come of it if I complained so just wrote if off to experience. I don't live in a tourist area so I usually don't get ripped off so rarely have any disagreements with anyone Thai. If I do I just walk away but I didn't have that option.

The other time I went to get in to the taxi but there was some stuff on the front seat so I had to get in the back. Again late at night and I was tired. It was only when I got home that I realised there wasn't even a meter in the taxi. The driver laughed and asked for more than the usual fare. I gave him the correct fare, no tip, he wasn't happy but nothing unpleasant. Because I'm a long way from the airport I know it isn't easy for a driver to get another fare late at night so I do give a decent tip usually.