Bringing My Boyfriend To Thailand

angmo

I am a South African living in the Netherlands with my Singaporean boyfriend. I have my own software company. Lived in Asia before and now wanting to return.

My question is, can I bring my boyfriend along as a dependent?

Actually there is a second question. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way of getting into Thailand. Start a new company, etc.

I think this is a great forum!

angmo..

Hi and welcome!

:o

I assume you want to return with your Sing bf to Thailand.. (you don't actually say that)...

If you don't get many replies here I would post the same message - maybe changing the word "bf" - to the ThaiVisa forum that deals with visas and working... You'll get fast and accurate info there.. but not everyone there is gay-tolerant.

Cheers !

ChrisP

thanks for the tip Chris.

Actually I used to live in Hong Kong and Singapore - never Thailand. This is why I need advice on Thailand.

What do you suggest I change bf to :o "lover" or shall i lie and say girlfriend?

The only thing that should not be tolerated is intolerance.

You might get a few "flames" from some posters in the fourm on visas to Thailand but you will also get some valuable posts.

Since Thai Immigration has yet to recognize relaionships between men in any meaningful way, I don't believe you will have a classification that your situation will fit into, unless you have adopted your boyfriend and would then he would be considered a family member.

I have no clue what the immigration rules are regarding Singaporeans coming into Thailand but I suspect they are similar to those that apply to you. Tourist visas and border runs until you get some other classifiction ie working with permit, or the like.

I think getting him into Thailand on a tourist visa on his own should not be a big problem, long stay is problematical, as with most people below the age of retirement.

Check whether Singapore is a signatory to ASEAN, as Thailand is; they are permissive about letting in each other's citizens. Probably more tolerant about Singap. than Cambodians or Burmese. I know a rich, gay, young Singaporean who goes back and forth fairly easily.

First thing I learned about national labels, that is ultra-important to Immigration: what country's passports do you and your boyfriend hold?

Check whether Singapore is a signatory to ASEAN, as Thailand is; they are permissive about letting in each other's citizens.  Probably more tolerant about Singap. than Cambodians or Burmese.  I know a rich, gay, young Singaporean who goes back and forth fairly easily. 

First thing I learned about national labels, that is ultra-important to Immigration: what country's passports do you and your boyfriend hold?

I hold a South African passport and my bf a Singaporean passport. I am hoping to have a Dutch passport within the next 4-6 months though.

Neither the Dutch or the South African passport will be of any particular help.

The agreement for ASEAN applies to short term visits, NOT living in the other countries.

The Thai's will not accept him as a dependant.

Are you sure it is a good idea to bring him here?

The expression "Coals to Newcastle" comes to mind.