19mbps In Thailand?

ChiangMaiThai

Click on Bangkok, you'll see some 32.68 Mbps. I HIGHLY doubt that's to the websites that you'll be connecting to (or torrents if that's your bag). But you'll be able to wget Hi5 in record time!

Plus I couldn't find information on the top speed in krun thep, but the second, third and fourth are all data centres.

All those fast speeds are done from within data center companies.

For example SiamADC has a combined international connectivity of 220 Mbps!

Not sure who owns the company but I know they're located in the CAT telecom tower on Charoen Khrung road!

Not sure who owns the company but I know they're located in the CAT telecom tower on Charoen Khrung road!

Local speeds vs international speeds. Ain't no comparison unfortuantely.

Local speeds vs international speeds. Ain't no comparison unfortuantely.

That's international!!!

They have another 50 Gbps (yep Giga) domestic connectivity!

And a 19Mbps test result won't be indicative from your own connection as at those speeds many of the test servers would run out of juice!

I remember one TV member say that he got those speeds at the University.

Which would be our mod Tywais!

Indeed universities have those fast speeds available.

Normally my speedtests to Bangkok from CMU is around 23 Mbps, often higher. However, a few weeks ago I started several torrent downloads using Thai trackers. Took a look at my download graph - peaking around 61Mbps! I put a download throttle on the torrent client after that. :)

Of course the international speeds are not at that level, but still quite good. I usually can get 5-6Mbps for International.

I've aggregated 3 x TT&T Maxnet 6mbps business lines with a Peplink router to make a 18mbps connection. I've made a video last year (September 2008) to show how fast internet can be from Thailand if you're willing to pay for it.

Video here (Quicktime):

http://tinyurl.com/thai-internet

Would love to take a look but it takes too long to load the video :)

I've aggregated 3 x TT&T Maxnet 6mbps business lines with a Peplink router to make a 18mbps connection. I've made a video last year (September 2008) to show how fast internet can be from Thailand if you're willing to pay for it.

Video here (Quicktime):

Would love to take a look but it takes too long to load the video :D

Not if you're on TOT .... :)

post-6768-1242906352_thumb.png

What appeared to me from this video is that surfing does seem to be faster than on my 2Mbs connection, but not that much faster.

And why no speed test from the US or Europe .... only one from local speed. Also the download doesn't appear to be super fast as expected.

I am willing to pay for it, but is it worth it?

Edited by sniffdog

Just to put the local (Thailand) and International speeds in perspective. The first was a speed test to Bangkok from Chiangmai University, the 2nd to the Thaivisa server in Singapore and last speed test to Los Angeles in the US. Japan came in around 5Mbps, but most locations in the US were between 2-4Mbps. The international tests were fairly consistent throughout the day.

post-566-1242908803_thumb.jpg

post-566-1242908834_thumb.jpg

post-566-1242908868_thumb.jpg

Video here (Quicktime):

What appeared to me from this video is that surfing does seem to be faster than on my 2Mbs connection, but not that much faster.

And why no speed test from the US or Europe .... only one from local speed. Also the download doesn't appear to be super fast as expected.

I was downloading close to 1.9 MB/s in the video, isn't that fast?

Edited by kudroz

The "Speedtest" sites generally test your connection by downloading 1 or 2 files, thus using only 1 or 2 of your available WAN ports. To enjoy the full benefit of a multi-WAN router you need to use a download manager that allows you to have multiple connections by splitting the file you're downloading.

If you surf the web, you can also tweak Firefox to allow more connections to each server so you can fully enjoy all of your WANs.

That sounds interesting. Is it possible to get say two 2mb true lines and combine their bandwidth with this pep router? That would actually get me a decent speed and probably better than 8mb single line. For me only international matters.

Every time Tywais show his speed test, I want to kill him! :D

I figured I'm pushing my luck with those stats. :D

I suspect when the university is back in session next month and all the student torrentors return those numbers will change significantly.

PS: Don't need to be too envious, I'm now at home on my DTAC EDGE connection. :)

Video here (Quicktime):

I was downloading close to 1.9 MB/s in the video, isn't that fast?

Sure, it's fast. But consider this:

I estimate you're paying 3xTHB 5,200 = THB 15,600 baht per month. I pay THB 1,000 baht per month.

Your download isn't 15.6 times as fast .....

Furthermore, your Local Speed doesn't come much higher than 10Mbs, although the rated value is 18 mbs.

Sure, it's fast. But consider this:

I estimate you're paying 3xTHB 5,200 = THB 15,600 baht per month. I pay THB 1,000 baht per month.

Your download isn't 15.6 times as fast .....

Furthermore, your Local Speed doesn't come much higher than 10Mbs, although the rated value is 18 mbs.

The local speed is also 18mbps, but like I explained the "Speedtest" sites have you download 1 or 2 files to test the bandwidth. Had speedtest.net had me download 3 simultaneous files you would have seen close to 18mbps on the meter.

Of course it's expensive, actually the video was taken with Maxnet business lines, about 82,000THB per month I think. This is a setup in my office, not at home.

The local speed is also 18mbps, but like I explained the "Speedtest" sites have you download 1 or 2 files to test the bandwidth. Had speedtest.net had me download 3 simultaneous files you would have seen close to 18mbps on the meter.

Of course it's expensive, actually the video was taken with Maxnet business lines, about 82,000THB per month I think. This is a setup in my office, not at home.

You could do this with 3 premier lines, with almost the same results. My premier lines rund steady at 85% of rated speed.

This would bring total cost down to 15,600 Baht/month (+vat).

Take 3 times 3Mb, and price comes down to 6200 Baht/month for an aggregate 9Mbps.

Personally I'd try to get a line from another ISP as well, allowing continued connectivity if Maxnet conks out...

You could do this with 3 premier lines, with almost the same results. My premier lines rund steady at 85% of rated speed.

This would bring total cost down to 15,600 Baht/month (+vat).

Take 3 times 3Mb, and price comes down to 6200 Baht/month for an aggregate 9Mbps.

Personally I'd try to get a line from another ISP as well, allowing continued connectivity if Maxnet conks out...

3 x 6mbs = THB 15,600

3 x 3mbs = THB 6,200

So let's go for 6 x 3 mbs = THB 12,400 .... :)

Personally, in the meanwhile I'll wait an hour for my movie to download .... I have no problem with that.