Annoying Things Software Does

cdnvic

If there's one thing that drives me absolutly stark raving (emphisize the raving part) mad its software programmers who think their creation is the centre of the universe. How many times have you downloaded a program for one simple task and had it try and take over a dozen others that you already had other programs doing?

Yesterday I brought home a new RCA mp3 player. Right on the box it said "Do not attach the player to your computer without first installing the software!"

I was skeptical to say the least, but why take chances? I installed the software known as 'Musicmatch'. Not only was this just a poor imitation of winamp or wmp, it without asking changed every file association dealing with sound files to run on it by default. When I changed them back it undid my changes and re-associated them to itself. :o

/uninstall

Turns out it's as I expected, windows explorer does the job of transfering faster and easier.

I thought that the endless browser battles years ago where I had IE and NS flashing urgent messages whenever the other was the default browser was bad. (Netscape is not your default browser!!!!" ..as if it was equivilant to "Watch out for that bus!!!")But at least they were central pieces of your daily life online. Nowadays it seems that every two-bit piece of software is programmed to act as if your whole life should revolve around it.

What most of the programmers don't seem to get is that if you have to trick people into making your software more than it is, then it can't be very good in the first place, or its users would make it so without all the tricks.

/rant

cv

If there's one thing that drives me absolutly stark raving (emphisize the raving part) mad its software programmers who think their creation is the centre of the universe. How many times have you downloaded a program for one simple task and had it try and take over a dozen others that you already had other programs doing?

.................... :

/uninstall

Turns out it's as I expected, windows explorer does the job of transfering faster and easier.

..................... Nowadays it seems that every two-bit piece of software is programmed to act as if your whole life should revolve around it.

What most of the programmers don't seem to get is that if you have to trick people into making your software more than it is, then it can't be very good in the first place, or its users would make it so without all the tricks.

/rant

cv

Yes, absolutely right! With so many multimedia file types now, and so much competition, the web is full of freebies insisting on being your favourite player, whether you want it to be or not. :D

I think Windows file associations should have a lock-down feature, so no program - no program! - can change them without asking first. And no sulking if you say "no".

Software that takes over your entire pc is the worst of all. My pet hate is Norton/Symantec stuff, that installs it's massive "suites" and "control panels" and won't let you uninstall. Everything seems to be interlocked: whatever feature you try to remove, another one won't let you do it. When you think you've finally got there, check your system with Explorer and a registry scanner and you find that much of it hasn't been deleted, just disabled. :o

Rule: It's my pc and hard disk, not theirs! For this reason it must be two years since I allowed any Norton/Symantec stuff on any pc that I use.

I agree some sw is downright bad mannered.

If I uninstall the drivers for my LinkSys Wireless card, ir deletes all the networking

drivers on my notebook, so I cannot use the LAN card either, without reinstalling it.

I have written to LinkSys, but am still waiting for a real response.

My pet hate is software that quietly starts *yet another* junk process in your system tray as soon as you log on, the major function of which seems to be to slow your boot time down even more and jam up your internet connection for the first 5 minutes looking for 'updates' (AKA sending usage information back to the manufacturer at your time, expense and inconvenience).

Particularly irritating example:

STEAM: "Wahhh ! I can't connect to the internet !"

Me: Hey man I don't want to play Halflife today, just reading my email so piss off

STEAM: *Boinggg* "Oh calamity, still no internet connection ! Spew warning messages all over the screen !"

Me: Go away ! Email, no Halflife !

STEAM: *Boinggg* We're running a competition on making new Halflife levels. And we've rebuilt the coast road with some really nice lighting effects, wanna see ?

Me: Argh !!

I have had great fun :o recently, getting rid of Norton System Works 2005 and Norton Internet Security 2005. I've always used Norton for it's Antivirus software and "Ghost" backup software. But theses two latest versions appear to assume that you have a 1.8 GHz processor and 1 GB RAM! My poor old (4 years old) lap top would hang up for 10 or 15 seconds with the disk going bananas for no apparent reason. And each time I opened a new email, it would not not displayed for 10 seconds! Can you imagine scanning through 20 odd emails and having to wait 10 seconds for each one to open :D

So I uninstalled the lot and just re-installed "Ghost" - but even that runs a process called PQV2iSvc - some old PowerQuest process which still gobbles up prosessing time every 20 seconds or so. Why should a once-off system image programme want to keep running a process?

I now use AVG free antivirus software - it's got an email scanner too, but without the 10 second delay.

What I also run now is System Internal's "Process Explorer" to find out which processes are running and how much CPU time they are taking. This is my PC's "at rest" profile now:

tmrest1rv.jpg

The periodic big peaks are caused by VSMON - part of ZoneAlarm - so I guess I have to live with that :D .

I completely agree with all of the above, spot on!!

May I also nominate RealPlayer as software that's particulary persistant in making sure it gets started with windows every single time. EVEN if you remove it with RegEdit!

Then after a long search through its preferences you finally find something that allows you turn off any tray activity.. But then when doing so it pops up warning messages that make it sound like you're about to kill your mother if you persist.. "Are you really sure you want to do this? It's strongly recommended to keep this running" or else... RealPlayer can't notify you anymore if there's an update..!!! The horror! :D

JESUS!!!

Good topic, this. :o

Have to nominate Laplink Gold 12 as my all-time worst............

Bought it recently because it was on offer with a free USB-USB connect lead. Tried to install it and it announced that I had to un-install Version 11 first. Amazed that it wouldn't do that by itself, but I got on with the job. Except that it would NOT uninstall.

The online support chat op (good system - IF the results worked) sent me an oven-ready bunch of manual regedit instructions (I'm obviously not the first with this issue). Fear and loathing, but I followed them to the letter. Twice. Display totally garbled after re-boot each time - had to do System restores (XP Pro).

Finally decided to do it the "Irish screwdriver way" - just deleted all the Laplink folders and let TuneUp clear up the debris (thanks, Thetyim). At last got Version 12 to install. Great - except that this version won't start unless I do a clean (stripped down) boot first.

Never seen the like of it. :o

(agree about Realplayer)

I completely agree with all of the above, spot on!!

May I also nominate RealPlayer as software that's particulary persistant in making sure it gets started with windows every single time.  EVEN if you remove it with RegEdit! 

Then after a long search through its preferences you finally find something that allows you turn off any tray activity..  But then when doing so it pops up warning messages that make it sound like you're about to kill your mother if you persist..  "Are you really sure you want to do this?  It's strongly recommended to keep this running"  or else...  RealPlayer can't notify you anymore if there's an update..!!!  The horror!    :D

JESUS!!!   

Good topic, this. :D

Oh, amen, and then some :o

The tactics used by RealPlayer are incredibly close to that of a virus. As long as there's a RealPlayer process running on your system it'll do everything to ensure it's still alive the next time the machine boots up. Install it once, you've got a nightmare ahead trying to completely clean it out again. Glad to see BBC have moved onto WMV format a little, but it’s that’s also still far from perfect.

Look for the Nullsoft Installer System when you install new software - it's an almost 100% guarantee the software will be kind to your system. It’s what those nice GNU people use.

My pet hate is software that quietly starts *yet another* junk process in your system tray as soon as you log on, the major function of which seems to be to slow your boot time down even more and jam up your internet connection for the first 5 minutes looking for 'updates' (AKA sending usage information back to the manufacturer at your time, expense and inconvenience).

Intersting stuff! A couple of answers to this one, if it's helpful.

A firewall program should put a stop to this. ZoneAlarm will ask your permission and you can set the offending program to "no". Another answer is to use msconfig and uncheck the startup items that you don't want to run.

If you're using Xp's (limited) firewall it's a good idea to use Security Centre to check its settings. It has an "exceptions" feature that allows programs to bypass it. :o I suspect that some programs (RealPlayer, for instance) can set themselves as exceptions. To be safe make sure "Don't allow exceptions" is checked.

I agree with the comments about RealPlayer. There's something sneaky about that package, but I'm not quite sure what!

Edited by johnrh

I just finished my trial of Bitdefender antivirus. While it did a good job I found it a bit heavy on the resources so I decided to give Avast a try. Anyway, Bitdefender will not let me uninstall it. I get a message that says:

"This action is valid only for installed componants."

Well, its installed enough to run on startup, and to flip up its nag screen, place itself in the system tray, but its installer can't find it. The REGISTER link works fine of course.

Ya know what? #### Bitdefender. I hadn't made up my mind yet on which would finally get my money but just on principal it won't be Bitdefender.

Dear Bitdefender People,

I tried to uninstall your program but it wouldn't let me. I guess I have no choice but to give you my money now. Its either that or find out where you live and beat your little geek programmer head in with an obsolete scanner. On second thought..... see you tommorrow. :o

cv

Rec'd following "friendly" reminder from MS the other day:

Option to Temporarily Disable Delivery of Windows XP SP2 Expires Soon

Time is running out. Please note that the mechanism to temporarily disable delivery of Windows XP SP2 is available only for a period of 240 days (8 months) from August 16, 2004. At the end of this period (after April 12, 2005), Windows XP SP2 will be delivered to all Windows XP and Windows XP Service Pack 1 systems.

........the dialup'ers are going to really love this one. :o

Time is running out. Please note that the mechanism to temporarily disable delivery of Windows XP SP2 is available only for a period of 240 days (8 months) from August 16, 2004. At the end of this period (after April 12, 2005), Windows XP SP2 will be delivered to all Windows XP and Windows XP Service Pack 1 systems.

I ordered my "pukka" CD from their website and they sent it to Phuket. If they still let you order it, better do it quick!

Here's a good one. My windows has been playing up, so I became inspired to clean all the <deleted> off it. In the process, I found that something called "the bullseye network" was installed - I've never heard of this before so I went to uninstall it and:

Complete this survey to complete the uninstallation. This helps protect you from unintentional or unauthorized uninstallation of the Bulleye network, and helps us improve the product:

i. What is the reason you are uninstalling the Bulleye network

("Because its useless crap" is not a selectable option)

ii. What is a reasonable number of offers to show you to keep software free

(Zero is not an option)

iii) I might not have uninstalled the Bullseye network if....

(If it actually did something useful to *me*)

iv) What other kinds of products would you like the Bulleye network to make free to you ?

(Argh !!!)

Bastards !! Their survey had an 'other' form where I left a little message about what I think of them. I hope it ######s up someones day.

Edited by Crushdepth

Firewall them. :D

How is it that MS knows when you are online to send it to you? :D

cv

Firewall them. :D

How is it that MS knows when you are online to send it to you? :D

cv

Because if your Xp is registered every time you connect it goes "bleep bleep" to the Windows Update site. That's how you get the "update notification" icon in your tray. What happens next depends on how you've set your automatic update options.

Incidentally, anyone see a straw in the wind here? How long will it be before all MS software updates etc require SP2? Be prepared.........