Electrician In Chiang Mai?

Fraktalkid

Hi Everyone,

I've FINALLY got my arse into gear and have relocated from Phuket up to Chiang Mai.. I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction... I recently bought an electric shower unit from Big C, and need a good electrician to come and help me install it into my house (near Chiang Mai university).

Does anyone know a good electrician who speaks reasonable English (I speak a bit of Thai, but not enough to talk about electricals, and well, I wonder if Kham Muang is a different language altogether! :o )

Any recommendations greatly appreciated!

Many thanks!

Hi Everyone,

I've FINALLY got my arse into gear and have relocated from Phuket up to Chiang Mai.. I was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction... I recently bought an electric shower unit from Big C, and need a good electrician to come and help me install it into my house (near Chiang Mai university).

Does anyone know a good electrician who speaks reasonable English (I speak a bit of Thai, but not enough to talk about electricals, and well, I wonder if Kham Muang is a different language altogether!  :D )

Many thanks!

Got a good guy for you. Electrician by training, does excellent work, and has been my handyman for 5 years.....Very nice guy, and very patient with farangs :o

Prathom 01-706-6939

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know a good electrician who speaks reasonable English (I speak a bit of Thai, but not enough to talk about electricals, and well, I wonder if Kham Muang is a different language altogether!  :D )

Many thanks!

Got a good guy for you. Electrician by training, does excellent work, and has been my handyman for 5 years.....Very nice guy, and very patient with farangs :o

Prathom 01-706-6939

Thanks for your recommendation Ajarn - really appreciated! I shall be giving him a call tomorrow! :-)

Rich

Hello I am sure you have found someone by now but I am an expat chief Electrician with a business in Thailand, I work on the oil rigs and if you really have a problem I am able to help. I have been in Chiang mai for 5 years.

I will be back home on the 20th February tel no 019521126

Les

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know a good electrician who speaks reasonable English (I speak a bit of Thai, but not enough to talk about electricals, and well, I wonder if Kham Muang is a different language altogether!  :o )

Many thanks!

Ajarn knows he has my greatest respect and accordingly I gave Prathom's number to my neighbor, Mark, to use for fence painting.

Whether Prathom came to the job or just sent a crew, I don't know, but they were not able to spray paint so Mark did that himself. They seemed to do OK with the walls, etc. but Mark's comment was they were really a "joke" crew.

Ajarn, if you are in contact with Prathom, I would sure like your feedback on what Prathom has to say about that job (Mark in Sivalai) as I was responsible for the connection and I don't want to form a negative image of Prathom until I get his side of the story.

I obtained a young Thai, who works at a major hotel, as an electrician and who speaks passable English. He has done three jobs for me, downlighters on two of the jobs and grounding my electric heaters. Works fast, seems to be very knowledgeable and I would heartily reccomend him based on recent experience, including today. Certainly, he could install a water heater well.

Only negative so far, called him three days ago, said he would come that evening, called and said yesterday, ended up comming real early this morning. It is Chinese New Year, however. Also, appointment was arranged by my Thai, and I could easily understand if Deng said "I will be there as soon as possible in the first postponment" and my Thai translated that to me yesterday morning so he wouldn't give me a Thai tomorrow answer which means anytime.

His name is Deng and his cell number is 05-029-9202. He works alternately nights and days, so he can come in the evening if you want or daytimes, if you so specify. I asked his permission to refer him and he would not be surprised by your call. I don't he does much moonlighting and I know he appreciate the work. I doubt he would charge more than 3-4 hundred baht. He worked a half day for my neighbor and charged 300 baht. One hour today, with my help, two downlighters, real tough to remove and jigsay ceiling opening larger with ceiling support metal to deal with, 200 Baht. I tipped 40 baht.

Good luck with whomever you choose, the only payback for Ajarn and my providing a trademan is posting your experience when and if you use anyone.

PTE, thanks for the feedback. I did talk to Prathom this morning about the job, and this is what he told me...

He said he was there with two other workers to paint the house, but that Mark also wanted to spray paint a section adjacent to the parking area. Prathom said that Mark later said he would do this himself because he was concerned about overspray on the tile in the parking area. Originally, Prathom was asked to give a quote on everything, including the spraying. When Mark decided to do this himself (I'm assuming he didn't feel confident having the workers do it, but I don't know, and Prathom said that he got no clue from Mark that there was a problem, and that Mark said he wanted to do it because he was sure he could do it best...), he asked Prathom to lower the estimate, which of course Prathom did. His crew did the house painting, which by all accounts went okay, it seems.

Don't know where the 'joke crew' part is coming from, but many might describe all Thai work crews that way if they're used to Western ways... :o

PTE, I really appreciate the feedback. We all know how difficult it is to find good workers here, and we also know how easy it is for miscommunications to happen. As you said, feedback on these workers is very valuable to all of us. Prathom is a good and honest man who does his best to please, and he is a highly skilled electrician as I said before. It's good you told me about this, though I'm still unclear as to whether there was a real problem.. But, it's still good for Prathom to get feedback and to realise that farangs will tell others of their experiences, good, bad and so-so...

Onward, through the fog :D

PTE, thanks for the feedback. I did talk to Prathom this morning about the job, and this is what he told me...

He said he was there with two other workers to paint the house, but that Mark also wanted to spray paint a section adjacent to the parking area. Prathom said that Mark later said he would do this himself because he was concerned about overspray on the tile in the parking area.  Originally, Prathom was asked to give a quote on everything, including the spraying. When Mark decided to do this himself (I'm assuming he didn't feel confident having the workers do it, but I don't know, and Prathom said that he got no clue from Mark that there was a problem, and that Mark said he wanted to do it because he was sure he could do it best...), he asked Prathom to lower the estimate, which of course Prathom did. His crew did the house painting, which by all accounts went okay, it seems.

Don't know where the 'joke crew' part is coming from, but many might describe all Thai work crews that way if they're used to Western ways...  :o 

PTE, I really appreciate the feedback. We all know how difficult it is to find good workers here, and we also know how easy it is for miscommunications to happen. As you said, feedback on these workers is very valuable to all of us. Prathom is a good and honest man who does his best to please, and he is a highly skilled electrician as I said before. It's good you told me about this, though I'm still unclear as to whether there was a real problem.. But, it's still good for Prathom to get feedback and to realise that farangs will tell others of their experiences, good, bad and so-so...

Onward, through the fog  :D

Ajarn, what you have reported back sounds right. Mark's remark was his perception of Prathom's ability to use the spray gun probably. My observation was

the rest of the job went well.

He said he was there with two other workers to paint the house, but that Mark also wanted to spray paint a section adjacent to the parking area. Prathom said that Mark later said he would do this himself because he was concerned about overspray on the tile in the parking area.  Originally, Prathom was asked to give a quote on everything, including the spraying. When Mark decided to do this himself (I'm assuming he didn't feel confident having the workers do it, but I don't know, and Prathom said that he got no clue from Mark that there was a problem, and that Mark said he wanted to do it because he was sure he could do it best...), he asked Prathom to lower the estimate, which of course Prathom did. His crew did the house painting, which by all accounts went okay, it seems.

Don't know where the 'joke crew' part is coming from, but many might describe all Thai work crews that way if they're used to Western ways...  :D 

Ajarn, what you have reported back sounds right. Mark's remark was his perception of Prathom's ability to use the spray gun probably. My observation was

Well, in Prathom's defence, he was quite accurate when he used my paintball gun! :o

I would have done the same as Mark if I'd had some new workers whom I didn't know, and Prathom's very relaxed and kicked-back manner might give a 'baan naawk' sense to him, but he's actually a pretty clued-in guy, as I've learned over the years. One of the few Thai guys I trust, and that says lots :D

• 7 months later...

Don't know where the 'joke crew' part is coming from, but many might describe all Thai work crews that way if they're used to Western ways...  :D 

Well, in Prathom's defence, he was quite accurate when he used my paintball gun! :o

I would have done the same as Mark if I'd had some new workers whom I didn't know, and Prathom's very relaxed and kicked-back manner might give a 'baan naawk' sense to him, but he's actually a pretty clued-in guy, as I've learned over the years. One of the few Thai guys I trust, and that says lots :D

Hi Ajarn

Is the information regarding Prathom still current?

I need a competent domestic sparky and after the mess that was made of my electric shower which I ended up doing myself (the whole water and electricity combination gives me the willies!!) I really need someone trustworthy.

Thanks

JxP

JuniorExPat: Go with Ajarn's sparky, but if you have any "connection" problems, let me know and I will give you my sparky's name. He is young, 24, electric school graduate and an "engineer" at the Sheraton.

He has worked for me on four occasions, all done well. Grounding, fixture connections and the like. He also did some wiring for Mark after Prathom's run in with him, no complaints.

As a postcript, Ajarn. Mark told my sparky what he wanted done on an occasion my sparky had a job for me and then said "Your the expert, do it anyway you want". He then bailed out and was not seen until th job was done. My sparky came back to me for some judgement calls during the progress of Mark's job. I think some fault, in my view, can be attributed to a "customer" with a hands off attitutude when the job doesn't come out as "envisioned". And that includes patients with their physicians.

There are many ways to accomplish a job in most cases, and a close attendance to the sparky, whether just to watch or act as another pair of hands, ensures a job well done, in my opinion.

Many of the simple electric jobs I have had my sparky do, I could have done myself, however, I am neither inclined to nor able, to climb around like a monkey in my attack space to accomplish even simple wiring. I notice that the construction electrician was always accompanied by a "monkey" or two, young and thin Thais, who did the crawling around for him.

• 1 year later...

To add my 2 cents worth I just hired Prathom to do some wiring work for me at my house. Need three phase wiring into the kitchen to install high powered water heater for new washing machine ( yes have 3 phase into the house, but not the kitchen). Talked with the guy and he knows what he's talking about! Came to the house, inspected and not a problem.

Found him from George's post about tradesmen in Chiang Mai.

Thank you George.

To add my 2 cents worth I just hired Prathom to do some wiring work for me at my house. Need three phase wiring into the kitchen to install high powered water heater for new washing machine ( yes have 3 phase into the house, but not the kitchen). Talked with the guy and he knows what he's talking about! Came to the house, inspected and not a problem.

Thank you George.

Think you'll find the tradesmen post was from p1p. George is trying to sell hotels :o

And I have uesd Prathom too with very satisfactory results, but a bit pricey though.

Thank you George.

Think you'll find the tradesmen post was from p1p. George is trying to sell hotels :D

And I have uesd Prathom too with very satisfactory results, but a bit pricey though.

How much would it cost you in your home country?? :o

Thank you George.

Think you'll find the tradesmen post was from p1p. George is trying to sell hotels :D

Ajarn

Thank you for your interest and reply to my post. I don't quite understand why your tone has to be so aggressive though. I merely point out that I have used your recommended electrician and found his work to be satisfactory. However he did charge somewhat more than I have been used to paying other local electricians for equivalent work.

What does my home country have to do with anything? And how do you define "Home Country"? The place I have my only home is Thailand and has been for more years than I care to remember, certainly more than 80% of my life to date.

Thank you George.

Ajarn

Thank you for your interest and reply to my post. I don't quite understand why your tone has to be so aggressive though. I merely point out that I have used your recommended electrician and found his work to be satisfactory. However he did charge somewhat more than I have been used to paying other local electricians for equivalent work.

What does my home country have to do with anything? And how do you define "Home Country"? The place I have my only home is Thailand and has been for more years than I care to remember, certainly more than 80% of my life to date.

So aggressive?? I was just joking with you, which is why I left a :D

Get a grip on reality, sir...

Thank you George.

How much would it cost you in your home country?? :D

Ajarn

Norman d

Have to say, for what it's worth, I also felt a bite in Ajan's reply, maybe I also need to get a grip on reality :o

But back to the topic, I would have thought you having been here so long and considering this is your 'Home country' you would have:

i) requested a job estimate in advance;

ii) as you considered it 'a bit pricey' why did you not opt for a cheaper estimate.

It seems rather unfair to criticize the guy after you had agreed the price before he started (did you?). Also why did you not sick with the 'other local electricians' you referred to in your post, who you state would charge you less.

Just my tuppence worth.

Thank you George.

Ajarn

Norman d

Have to say, for what it's worth, I also felt a bite in Ajan's reply, maybe I also need to get a grip on reality :o

But back to the topic, I would have thought you having been here so long and considering this is your 'Home country' you would have:

i) requested a job estimate in advance;

ii) as you considered it 'a bit pricey' why did you not opt for a cheaper estimate.

It seems rather unfair to criticize the guy after you had agreed the price before he started (did you?). Also why did you not sick with the 'other local electricians' you referred to in your post, who you state would charge you less.

Just my tuppence worth.

OK, thankyou Ajarn, Sir, for your reply setti9ng the matter straight.

Toon Army. I thank you also for your interest in this matter.

On the day in question, I was telephoned by my maid, giving details of an emergency. The electrician we normally use was on holiday so she needed to know who to contact. I was then staying with a friend in Bangkok. So, remembering Ajarn had previously recommended this man in the Chiangmai forum, I looked him up and gave her the details.

She made all the arrangements and got the job done, however she expressed some disquiet over the price quoted, to him and to me, but she was effectively over a barrel and had no other available choice at the time.

Hopefully this answers your query?

Thank you George.

Ajarn

Norman d

I think the bite yiou felt, must have been your own, and yes, you need to get a better grip. :D

I used Khun Prathom for installing ground wiring in my house, and he did a thorough job at a reasonable price. This was last year.

I will soon call him again for some other electrical work I need done.

We all have different budgets, but in no way did I or my wife who is a local, feel he was overcharging us.