Free Open Source Games

Richb2004v2

Does anyone play free open source games here? I am traditionally a console man but having recently switched to using Linux on one of my laptops I have been venturing into the world of free games. Its amazing what is available. There are a good few very good 'counter strike' type games as well as some good strategy games and good turn based games. With free operating systems, free office packages and free games it makes me wonder if we need to keep paying for software.

• 4 months later...

Generally as an avid gamer I frown upon such games, the time and money which goes into the higher end of gaming is what keeps me coming back, what keeps me upgrading or purchasing entire new PCs and Consoles each year. Open source games usually don't push the envelope in terms of graphics and game play, often are copies of successful commercial titles and I don't mind pay for my software personally, especially if it is cutting edge... That said though, I won't pay for a game unless I want to play it online anyway, or I want some kind of online content (WOW, anything with downloadable upgrades or purchases)... Otherwise I just locate the game I want on mininova and download it from there, same with all TV series its the only way to stay up to date with the US, I download TV about 3 - 4 hours after it has been released on TV in the US... I love the internet.

Yes I'm an avid gamer too, but I found the quality of the opensource games to be impressive, even though it is off course far behind modern releases. Is it often said by none gamers that video games are mindless. I disagree, but I do find online shooters to be as close to mindless as video games can get. But its easy to waste a few hours playing them and getting nowhere. That's why I would never pay to play those type of games but don't mind dipping in with the free open source versions. Even games like WOW and Command and Conquer have their free counterparts.