How Can I Assure Sending Expensive Personal Items To Bkk Without Paying Any Tax Or Custom?

atelko

I recently came to Thailand and forgot some stuff at home and also wasn´t quite sure if I gonna need it and let it there.

Now I do need some stuff from there and want to be sent here to me in BKK. My father will be sending me my stuff one by one that will be needed.

I know some people might think that is too much work and why not just buying it new on Thailand?

There is an easy explanation for that:

1.) Why should I spend money for it if I already have it?

2.) Wake up! Money is not growing on trees, guys!

So now I am curious if I could get the stuff without paying any custom tax for my own stuff?

I did not buy and let it be sent to Thailand. I just want to know how to get it done so that I don´t have to pay extra for something that I already own.

thanks...

My things are about to get shipped over on Fri 29th May. The lady from the shipping company said I won't be taxed because its in my wifes name and she has been out of Thailand longer than a year.Meaning she has not come here just to buy things to send them home.(re-locating)

Just a few notes.

There are some things that I have left here in the U.S because it will be cheaper to replace them rather than ship them.

It also depends where your shipping from to make it worthwhile.

I'm sure if your sending personal things one by one you should be ok.Unless its big T.v's and other electrical items.

Hope this helps mate.

Good luck

My things are about to get shipped over on Fri 29th May. The lady from the shipping company said I won't be taxed because its in my wifes name and she has been out of Thailand longer than a year.Meaning she has not come here just to buy things to send them home.(re-locating)

Just a few notes.

There are some things that I have left here in the U.S because it will be cheaper to replace them rather than ship them.

It also depends where your shipping from to make it worthwhile.

I'm sure if your sending personal things one by one you should be ok.Unless its big T.v's and other electrical items.

Hope this helps mate.

Good luck

Note: As long as your spouse has not made frequent trips to Thailand during her stay abroad, then you won't be taxed. Thais living in Singapore, Vietnam, Australia etc that frequently return for holidays etc do not qualify for tax and duty free entry.

Whether you get stung for duty is a total lottery, a couple of pointers:-

If you use a courier (DHL, UPS etc.) you WILL pay duty, the amount depends upon what it is you're sending and the mood of the customs chap. You'll also likely have to pay 'storage'.

If you send it through the ordinary mail then there is a good chance that it will arrive without duty, there is also however also a good chance that it will not arrive :)

Small packages in the regular post (on a signed for basis if your post office offers it on international), with a suitably vague customs declaration with 'gift of no commercial value' in the comments box and a low declared value is likely the best way to minimise duty.

Just for you guys information... I ordered 2 Jeans from U.S. and it was sent through DHL... This was my first time and will be my last...

ordered on 13jan 0300

received confirmation on 15jan 1058

received jeans by dhl on 17jan 1100. Just 4.5 Days in total.

2 Jeans @USD29.99 each + Shipping USD29 = Total USD88.98 <<<< This was the original cost to me

And, then when DHL delivered to my apartment, they produced an invoice for TAX and other charges for THB 2099 (USD62.12). It is absurd!!!!

Here is the breakdown of what the THB2099 is for:

CUS: Custom Duty & Import Goods VAT THB1885 ---> (See 1 below for further breakdown)

DHL: Duty Handling Fee THB200

DHL: VAT THB14

TOTAL = THB2099

(1) Breakdown

USD59.98 Cost of Jeans x 33.7881 Exch Rate = THB 2026.61

Freight THB600.60

Ins THB20.26

Duty is 60% of above total which is: 1588 + Vat 7% 297 = 1885.

So, the total cost of the jeans was to me: USD 151.10 for 2 jeans.

Amazing Thailand!!!

I checked with the shipper whether they can ship to me through Postal Service next time and they said they cannot... They will only do it by DHL.

Currently, I ship any items to Hong Kong and get it through friends to here.

It will depend on how shipped, size and weight of the box, whether Somchai at customs has had lunch yet or is sleeping it off, and maybe the value of the items. They know they have you. What are you going to do, say "send it back"?? - actually I did that once on some DVD's I ordered from Amazon. You should have seen the face on the guy at the post office.

All in all, it's a crap shoot. I've had $300 motorcycle parts sail thru- marked "used parts" and been hit with 40% duty + some kind of tax on the shipping on a $100 jacket. Good luck.