Ports

WilliamIV

I use my Computer to Phone Europe

using iConnecthere.com (I use their Dailer Ver3.3)

It has been working fine

but now I have problems

It says I need to open a Long List of

UDP incoming & outgoing Ports

Plus two TCP ports.

How do I locate these Ports and open them please.

I have a COMPAQ Presario Desk Top

Windows 98

Dail Up

SupraExpress 56i PRO Modem

Bill

PS

Does anybody else use iConnecthere.com (Dailer Ver3.3) ?

When someone tells you to open ports, it usually means to tell your firewall to allow certain programs to use certain ports. Usually, a firewall will block nearly everything unless told otherwise. This means that a lot of programs that need to communicate in complicated ways will not work.

The thing is, the method of opening ports varies from firewall to firewall. You need to check what firewall you're using.

More info required.

If you are not using a firewall then you definitely should be! I am surprised your computer is not causing you all sorts of problems if you are connected to the internet for any reasonable length of time.

Which version of windows are you using? XP SP2 installs it's own firewall - it can be accessed in Control Panel, Windows Firewall.

How do you connect to the internet?

Thanks for your Responses

I do not have a Firewall on my Computer

Is it not possible to go to a list of Ports ?

I am a novice !!!

Bill

OK guys.

Lets go hack his computer.

Seriously go to Zone Alarm and download their free firewall

and install it immediately.

Internet access without a firewall is like sex without a condom ----- Very Dangerous.

The firewall will allow you to specify what ports to open, without it they are ALL open.

My Original post did include:

I have a COMPAQ Presario Desk Top

Windows 98

Dail Up

SupraExpress 56i PRO Modem

Bill

My apologies mate.

Astral is spot on - follow his link. There's clear instructions on port forwarding in Zone Alarm on their site.

Always remember with respect to the internet.... 1. Do not assume anything 2. Trust no-one 3. Nothing is secure 4. Security is a trade-off with usability 5. Paranoia is your friend

Good luck!

Hi,

Well everybody tells you to get a firewall, and it's a good advice, but I'm afraid it won't solve immediatly your ports problem.

You said it worked fine before, so what did you change/install ?

Ports can be blocked by a firewall (but you don't have one) or by a modem/router. Is there any software installed on your computer to edit your modem settings (if there is one, it has been installed when you installed your modem) ?

Good luck

Yeti

Many Thanks for the advice.

I have downloaded Zone Alarms Pro

for a Free Test period of 15 days.

BUT - I cannot find any Port Control on Zone Alarms.

iConnect.com suggest I contact my IPS to open the Numerous Ports

- which just does not sound feasible?

Yeti - the only thing I can remember changing was

yahoo messenger - could that be the Culprit?

Bill

Hi Bill,

Some ISPs will firewall certain ports for security reasons so its worth while to give their tech support a call and ask them.

As for Zonealarm, it should ask you when you try to use iconnecthere if the program can access the internet. Click "yes" and see if it works, but again, call your isp first to see if there is a local problem first.

Oh, after the trial of Zonealarm expires you can switch back to the free version, as it does a pretty good job on its own.

cv

Hi Bill,

Installing Yahoo messenger shouldn't have changed anything.

Do you have any program to access your modem settings ?

(in start menu, a program group named Supra Express, or something like this).

If you cannot fix this port issue, by calling your ISP or accessing your modem settings, you can try another program to phone with your computer:

www.skype.com

It may work...

Now I know just enough about computers to be dangerous but..............................

Did a quick check of the website FAQ's and came up with these three items that may be of some help. Bottom line is that it appears you can tweak your port settings thru the 'Advanced Preferences' but if you are not comfortable with that (we all know that "novice" feeling"), you may want to select the 'Customer Care' option of sending your puter config to the tech staff and let them guide you thru any required changes.

1. Store my Computer Configuration

By selecting to send Customer Care your computer configuration, Customer Care will be able to provide you with fast and concise technical support.

2. Check My Configuration

Displays your personal computer configuration.

3. Advanced Preferences

You can use this tool to manually set and confirm the ports you wish to use, or to have PC-to-Phone attempt to locate available ports for you. Do not make changes in this area unless you understand port configuration.

Hope this helps you Willy4

Firewalls are indeed a way that ports get blocked. But if you or the phone company you use have changed any software, it's highly possible that you need to forward ports.

Ports need to be forwarded for Bit Torrent or other file sharing programs, and also some internet phone systems. These ports are in your router, not in your computer. Check out your modem make at Portforward.com to see if it does in fact act as a router and not a simple modem (as many do).

Anyway, if it turns out you really do need to forward ports, that site is the biggest and most thorough manual on how to do it