Da Vinci

svenivan

After 4 years I thought it was time to give it another try! The times I been there before did not give them more than a B.

But the "Swedish Pizzaplace" was closed and I had heard it had improved at Da Vinci so ....

We ordered a Salmon with manau cream. I could choose French fries or pasta to go with the salmon.

We also ordered a Pzza Hawaii.

Starting with the good things, the pizza was better than before. You could actually see some cheese, ham and pineapples on the top.

The salmon came in, quite large piece, three slices of manau on top, some melted butter and 4 pieces of lettuce with no taste. And that goes with the salmon, not much of taste. OK after some salt and pepper it tasted something but a little bit dry.

And the pasta? Yes, a lump of spagetti and also that with no taste.

Come on, calling this place an Italian restaurant is a shame !

The Dutch owner has said he is not targeting the expats living in Chiang Rai, he is happy with the tourists and if they come back or not, mai pen rai!

So next time I eat Italian I will choose another place!

:):D:D

edit: Sorry, I thought I was in the restaurant-section !

Edited by svenivan

I'm not a Chiang Rai resident but I get up there frequently. Have tried this restaurant twice in the past 3 years. Have ordered the pizza. pasta and even Thai food. None of it delicious. I wish the proprietor good luck with the tourist clientele.

I'm not a Chiang Rai resident but I get up there frequently. Have tried this restaurant twice in the past 3 years. Have ordered the pizza. pasta and even Thai food. None of it delicious. I wish the proprietor good luck with the tourist clientele.

If you want a good Pizza I can reccomend Baan Klang Wiang that is on the same street but 3 traficlights north. Just in the corner on your right side. There is a tempel in the same corner bur on your left side with same name.

They have very good pizza with lots of filling and lots of cheese. The pasta is very good and they have some other nice dishes too but no Thai food.

post-29230-1243660800.gif :)post-29230-1243660800.gif

"WHEN IN ROME ---------"

Why bother? Much tastier Thai food everywhere at tenth the price. My home cooked pasta delish! can't beat it. From a recently returned Lannaman back from 1 month in England. Returned with a cold as usual!

A colleague told me about an Italian restaurant he went to yesterday, it's a little bit out the way as it's at Mae Fah Luang university but he said it's really good and very inexpensive, dishes start at 39 baht! The chef there used to work in hotels in London & Dubai but he's now opened up his own restaurant up at the Uni and by the sounds of it he cares about all his customers, not just tourists.

So if you want an alternative to the likes of Da Vinci etc that doesn't charge tourist prices it could be a good option.

Could you pase ell me the address or Internet-contact or something to this italian Restaurant.

Stefan

Sorry I don't know it,all I know is it's on the actual campus at Mae Fah Luang University at the food court, think there is only one so can't be hard to find.

calling this place an Italian restaurant is a shame !

.....The Dutch owner

That would said it all.....why it didn't invest in an Amsterdam style coffee shop instead ? regards, Surhaagen Von Rayu

Could you pase ell me the address or Internet-contact or something to this italian Restaurant.

Stefan

DA VINCI RESTAURANT595/2-3 Phaholyothin Rd., 053-752535. Mobile 086-656-3363.

Reason for edit: "copy & paste" was apparently not working, but once on the web, all the white fields magically became 3 times the previous not visible text, so removed the repetitions...

Edited by surayu

So if the cheap Italian place at Mae Fha Luang is at the food court then it's a food stall and not a restaurant I guess. Much like the Indian stall at the night bazaar, if it's still there. I don't know, I haven't been there for months. Regarding Da Vinci and it's tourist centered aim, it's better to make your own food. Smoked salmon is swimming all over Chiang Rai and quality pasta as well.

Also at Mae Fha Luang, not at the food court but on your left after you get your visitors pass, next to 7-11 basically, a couple of no longer students have a nice restaurant with quality beef steak. It's still too long to drive from town and believe it or not but the strip loin at the meat section in Big C is actually really good.

For minced beef it's Northen Farm and I have a question, did they raise their prices again or not? I remembered last month that half a kilo of minced beef was about 60 baht. Now it's 80. I suffer from cronically bad memory so maybe you guys can enlighten the situation.