Bangkok Roads Closed To Elephants

george

The CDs are tied to their tails to act as reflectors at night so they do not get hit by motor vehicles and bikes. Some owners clip on flashing reflectors as well. I live in Mae Sot and more and more farang are coming here, mainly to assist Burmese migrants. Along with this has come a KFC, more coffee shops and more elephants, both youngsters and adults. 20 baht buys you a meagre bag of sugarcane that provides very little for the elephant. I feel very sad for the elephant and the way it is made to trumpet, bow, do a dance etc to make some money for the groups of guys that follow it.

Boy, I sure wished somebody cared about the human species 1/10th this much.

Elephants are great, but evolution, change, adaptation, survival, etc. are things all creatures must deal with, it is after all exactly how we are all here!

Otherwise, I don't have enough personal knowledge of this issue to make more specific comments.

Elephants are great, but evolution, change, adaptation, survival, etc. are things all creatures must deal with, it is after all exactly how we are all here!

Otherwise, I don't have enough personal knowledge of this issue to make more specific comments.

Our capacity to care beyond just ourselves, especially when it's we that's caused the effect, shows our potential (or lack thereof, depending upon our choices) for greatness.

We are a special and unique beast on this planet, indeed.

(perhaps the cockroaches'll take pity on us when it comes for their turn at the top!)

Why does the fact that others care about elephants lead you to assume they don't care about humans?

Why do you define human impact upon animals as related to evolution?

Please go look "Compassion" up in a dictionary, then maybe your personal knowledge will be enhanced.

Just been in Nonthaburi and there was an Elephant walking the streets, the keeper told us that the Elephant is also pregnant. It looked like an old Elephant.

Is there any way to help this Elephant and get it off the streets?

Mahouts have a right to eat too. I love to see the elephants in the streets of Bangkok. I always feed them and I buy the mahouts a drink and have a chat with them. I always change the "Do not feed the elephants posters " put up by western loonies to " Please feed the elephants" Yes and I give money to the blind Isan musicans too! Because I like Isan music and they need to eat and drink and have some fun. Ok so Life can be tough for elephants in the city. But let's make people our first priority not vegetarian, politically correct, western ideology. Some people will not be happy until Thailand is a mirror of the westen suburb they grew up in. And do not get me started on the bible bashers...............

An elephant walking down soi Cowboy at 11.00 pm is not doing it because it wants to !

Anyone paying 20,30,50 Baht for a few bananas should understand that the sole purpose is to line the pocket of the Thai handler - not to benefit the chang :)

no farang visiting soi cowboy is going there to see elephants..... :D