Relocating To Chiang Mia From The Uk

sinkorswim

hi

i am moving to thailand soon and am travelling back there for 1 month in 2 weeks to look for a nice house to rent long term.

i have just arrived back to the uk after spending 2 weeks looking for property but all i was shown where rubbish houses for 10000 baht unfurnished.

i am prepared to pay up to 10000 baht but it must be a nice house and be furnished, i do have transport so can travel a bit.

can anyone give me some ideas about where to start looking again as the last time i wasted 2 weeks. :D

i do have a thai girlfriend who can do the negotiations for me as from past experiance as soon as i walk in the door the price doubles :o

cheers

Have you tried the search button at the top of this page?

yes i have used the search button

i was hoping to get specific locations for some properties that fellow forum members may be aware of.

chiang mai is a big place and i do not want to spend a full month looking in all the wrong places. i was just hoping that someone may know where good affordable properties might be located.

thanks

"try this thread

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25272

There is no substitute for driving around etc..Most agents will rob you blind. It's all in the above thread...."

i have already read the link provided but thanks anyway. it does seem that the agents try to take your eyes out as soon as they know a falang is paying the bills.

Some of the TV members might know of the odd place. As u say, CM is a big place and unfortunatly the best way is to drive around. For some reason thais don't believe in advertising in the papers and just leave signs out on their front gates.

Unless you go with the agents, you don't have much option other than to drive around.

Just send the ball and chain out...they do come in handy for things like this :o

• 3 weeks later...

The best way is to perhaps just drive around and take a note of the location and fone numbers you see on the gates. Then get your bird to ring around and check out the particulars "rent, room, bathrooms etc."

It is true that Thais don't put a lot of effort into marketing their rental properties and they do pretty well nothing in sprucing them up for prospetive tenants.

I used to see places with crap lying about exactly where the last tenant dropped it.

Just another case of "TIT"

Happy hunting......... :o

hi

i am currently in chiang mai and spend all day yesterday searching with no luck.

if no-one can recommend anywhere they know that is available can anyone recommend a good agent.

thanks in advance

I used Tong at Chiang Mai House, he talks very good English has lots of proprties and from my experience is very honest and fair

www.chiangmaihouse.com

Hope it helps

.....i am currently in chiang mai and spend all day yesterday searching with no luck.

Sinkorswim,

I have been seeing your post since last 3 days corresponding on this board. It look like you are frustrating looking for a place you wish to rent in Chiang Mai.

Would you mind directly contacting me regarding rental home for your staying here in Chiang Mai ?

I have my own house that has just recently been overhauled (renovated). This house located in the soi just opposite to Central Airport Plaza (200 m. from main road - Chiang Mai-Hang Dong road). It's a teakwood house - Thai- Style- with 2Bed rooms / 2 bath rooms established on 100 wa compound.

You can call me at my office 053 215333 or mobile phone 019506139.

Hope this help.

Best Regards,

Chotanavet

It is true that Thais don't put a lot of effort into marketing their rental properties and they do pretty well nothing in sprucing them up for prospetive tenants.

I used to see places with crap lying about exactly where the last tenant dropped it.

Nor is much effort put into making "for sale" property very appealing to a potential buyer either.

When I was looking for a place to rent years some back, I was shown one house where it appeared the owners left to return to Bangkok right in the middle of a meal. :o

I used Tong at Chiang Mai House, he talks very good English has lots of proprties and from my experience is very honest and fair

www.chiangmaihouse.com

Hope it helps

cheers i will give them a try. :D

anymore good agents out there please let me know

cheers

Tong is a nice enough fellow but like other agents, will show you overpriced, dilapidated houses (that look more like outhouses) for under 10K -- at around 15K you will be shown some tolerable structures -- for 25K you will be shown better stuff.

But the prices are all wrong (by at least a factor of 2 or 3) and the method is flawed.

Short of following the 5K/month 3 bd/4(?) ba. proponents, Chanchao, Ajarn and Chuchok around there is no substitute for driving up and down sois all over the place and calling the #s shown on the "for-rent" signs.

After ditching agents (in 3 days) I found my place in 10 days (put in several hours/day) -- 3/2, big garden, fully furnished (high quality stuff), including satellite TV system -- and NO neighbors on 3 sides and NO likelihood of there ever being any in the future(?) -- 270 degree view of meadows and fields -- 18K outside Lalaland and not a single Lala in sight. Ah!!!!!

:o:D:D

www.chiangmaihouse.com

Hope it helps

cheers i will give them a try. :D

anymore good agents out there please let me know

cheers

Tong is a nice enough fellow but like other agents, will show you overpriced, dilapidated houses (that look more like outhouses) for under 10K -- at around 15K you will be shown some tolerable structures -- for 25K you will be shown better stuff.

But the prices are all wrong (by at least a factor of 2 or 3) and the method is flawed.

Short of following the 5K/month 3 bd/4(?) ba. proponents, Chanchao, Ajarn and Chuchok around there is no substitute for driving up and down sois all over the place and calling the #s shown on the "for-rent" signs.

After ditching agents (in 3 days) I found my place in 10 days (put in several hours/day) -- 3/2, big garden, fully furnished (high quality stuff), including satellite TV system -- and NO neighbors on 3 sides and NO likelihood of there ever being any in the future(?) -- 270 degree view of meadows and fields -- 18K outside Lalaland and not a single Lala in sight. Ah!!!!!

:o:D:D

• 3 weeks later...
hi

i am moving to thailand soon and am travelling back there for 1 month in 2 weeks to look for a nice house to rent long term.

i have just arrived back to the uk after spending 2 weeks looking for property but all i was shown where rubbish houses for 10000 baht unfurnished.

i am prepared to pay up to 10000 baht but it must be a nice house and be furnished, i do have transport so can travel a bit.

can anyone give me some ideas about where to start looking again as the last time i wasted 2 weeks. :D

i do have a thai girlfriend who can do the negotiations for me as from past experiance as soon as i walk in the door the price doubles :o

cheers

Sink or Swim

Looks like your treading water

I just finished helping a friend with a similar search, 'cept his Budget was 20,000. We found a bunch of good houses one as low as 12,000. And he had some steep requirements about how close and far he was willing to be from the city.

Anyway, what was the most productive was hireing Mel. Excelent English. I use him a lot for general transportaion and hauling when I need it or to find something I cant find otherwise.

He might be able to help you. I suggest you call him and talk to him and see what he says.

09-854-2835

Ive used him for several months, he was recomended to me by an expat friend who lives here and has/does use Mel for over 10 yrs. The guy is honest. He drives one of those Red truck busses, so pay him by the hour is my sugestion.

Hope this helps