Another Dual Passport Question

Digitalman

Daughter is traveling with me for the first time to the States..

She has never used her U.S. passport, does she need to have an exit stamp in her U.S. passport?

I assumed she would leave Thailand on her Thai passport but I am thinking that maybe U.S. immigration might look for an exit stamp from Thailand in her passport..

I just wonder what immigration will do when they see a fresh passport... Anyone who has gone to the U.S. with your child for the first time or on a replacement passport please share your experiences.

My two girls have UK/Thai passports.

When they leave and enter Thailand we use the Thai passports. When we leave and enter the Uk we use UK passports.

Do not bother telling them they have dual passports as immigration hates the idea of it. If they ask why there is no stamp then tell them.

If they do not ask then there is no need to make them aware of your situation, they should not ask anyway, never have with me. However I went to New York recently and got a good going over by your immigration with regards to my girls but everything was okay in the end. This was probably due to the fact I am not a US citizen so you should have no problem.

Also my experience.....

I've been traveling with two passports ( US & Thai) for dozens of times already, never encounter any problem from both sides. :)

Leaving the US, only the airline check-in counter ask to see your US passport, the US does not care if you're leaving the country. Don't worry, you'll meet them (US Immigration) on the way back, any US citizen needs the passport to be able to get into the country.

Arriving BKK, I show the Thai/ pp to the Immigration. I also use the same Thai/pp when leaving TL.

Simple as that.

Just to add that you might need to show the check-in desk, when you are leaving Thailand, the US-passport, so that they know you won't be turned-away at the US-Immigration. Because the Thai passport doesn't have a US-visa in it.

This is normal, the airlines are used to this dual-nationality/passport situation in my own experience with Thai/UK joint-nationals.

Have a good trip ! :)

I agree with the last two posts. I've been traveling for years with a NZ passport. The only time I use the US ppt is when I enter and leave the US. Not even a blink from US immigration. The official line is, the US doesn't condone dual citizenship, but it accepts it. At least for the time being :)