Thai Income Tax Forms

I followed a link another poster provided about PIT, personal income tax in thailand. I did not fine any tax forms there. So, if I am teaching in Thailand, and I am a non-resident, do you file a tax form so you can claim your deductions and allowances? I have seen posters say taxes are taken out of their pay check. OK, fine, but how do you claim the reductions?

Also, the PIT link said after 180 days you are a "resident" and foreign income sources are taxed. Hmmm. That seems a bit dodgy. I am assuming that is a non-player, as the US will happily be taxing my other incomes from my investments, stocks and bond transactions etc.

I followed a link another poster provided about PIT, personal income tax in thailand. I did not fine any tax forms there. So, if I am teaching in Thailand, and I am a non-resident, do you file a tax form so you can claim your deductions and allowances? I have seen posters say taxes are taken out of their pay check. OK, fine, but how do you claim the reductions?

Also, the PIT link said after 180 days you are a "resident" and foreign income sources are taxed. Hmmm. That seems a bit dodgy. I am assuming that is a non-player, as the US will happily be taxing my other incomes from my investments, stocks and bond transactions etc.

You seem to conflating a number of issues here:

1. If you are a "non-resident", how do you teach in Thailand - do you commute in from some other country every day ?

2. What "deductions and allowances" and "reductions" are you referring to ? I know of some which can reduce the amount of income tax payable in Thailand, but not of any which might result in a credit (cash coming back to you).

3. I gather that you are an American. As a non-American myself I am not the best-informed on this issue, but I understand that for American citizens, there is some process where you may be able to apply to have Thai income tax refunded to you; however my understanding is that you have to pay the Thai income tax first, and then apply to have it refunded to you. (Thai employers can hardly be expected to apply one method for Americans, and another for other foreigners.)

4. Of note, since you state that you are a teacher: Thai income tax is due March 31 of each year, for the preceding calendar year. If you are on an annual contract that has some other end-date, that is irrelevant.

If you are *legally* working in Thailand, you will have both a work permit (which is in a light-blue coloured book) and a tax card, which is usually a manila printed card with your tax number. Legal work done in Thailand is taxed. Withholding is done through your paycheck, but depending on your income level may be too much or too little during an individual tax year- the difference is settled through the annual tax form. I share Allane's confusion over your status- most teachers are residents in some significant way.

As for US tax, as far as I know- PB would be a good one to ask to confirm- all US citizens who have any income are required to *file* with the IRS every year. If you can establish that you are a bona fide resident of another country- which again would mean you are NOT a non-resident- you get an income tax deduction of about $80,000 (in other words, your income doesn't become taxable until after the first $80,000). If the bulk of your income is from teaching in Thailand, it is unlikely that you will have a significant tax burden for this reason.