Tat Launches Bangkok Tours For Transfer Tourists

george

TAT launches Bangkok tours for transfer tourists

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) yesterday teamed up with state and private organisations to launch a special tour programme for transfer passengers at Suvarnabhumi Airport.

The scheme targets transfer passengers with layovers of less than 12 hours. There are 15 packages with prices starting at 1,850 baht. The programme will run until May 31, 2011.

Passengers who go on a tour will not have to pay an additional 500-baht airport tax when they check in.

The project is supported by the Association of Thailand Travel Agents (ATTA), Airports of Thailand (AoT), the Immigration Bureau, and Thai Airways International. It will give transfer passengers a chance to enjoy a brief tour of the Thai capital and nearby provinces, such as Samut Prakan and Chachoengsao, said Weerasak Kohsurat, the TAT chairman.

"I strongly believe that this project will be welcomed by international tourists. This will help the tourism sector and some operators, particularly small firms, survive the downturn," he said.

Tour information will be provided to all transfer passengers at the airport through brochures provided in-flight and in the transfer hall.

Transfer passengers at Suvarnabhumi Airport numbered 3 million per year between 2005 and 2008. The TAT forecasts more than 1% of total transfer passengers, or around 37,000 people, will try out the tours this year, generating 95 million baht in revenue.

TAT said the campaign should net 191 million baht by the end of 2011 and could be extended if successful.

Tour packages include boat trips along Thonburi's canals, visits to the Grand Palace and the Temple of the Emerald Buddha, and a shopping tour covering Siam Paragon, MBK, and the CentralWorld shopping malls.

ATTA is confident that the packages will attract tourists thanks to their low cost and value. For example, the weekday golf tour starts at 5,000 baht, with an air-conditioned vehicle, an English-speaking guide, plus green and caddy fees.

postlogo.jpg

-- Bangkok Post 2009-06-12

I like the part about the golf.

So when someone is checking in say in London - should they check their clubs all the way to their final destination - or ask for them to be offloaded in BKK and then reloaded for the rest of their journey. Should I carry my balls in my carry-on?

Didn't ATTA try this idea (Layover tours) a couple of years back?

Passengers who go on a tour will not have to pay an additional 500-baht airport tax when they check in.

Seems TAT doesn't have a clue being the airport tax is 700 baht, not 500.

At 1,850 baht I think they'll only get people who are afraid of doing anything on their own. Any sensible person could read any guidebook or internet website and get all the information themselves and save money, especially if your two or more in your party.

Who came up with this one.Could someone have been passing through Singapore?. Transit passengers there can(maybe now could, this was two or three years ago) sign up for a bus trip from the airport, a short tour around Singapore town and a river trip (plus a free bottle of water).The whole thing takes about 3/4 hours.

On small difference, its free, no charge, nothing,.You get a big badge to wear, so no through immigration or security.The idea is to show transit passengers next time maybe stopover in Singapore.

Thats a lot lower cost that the 5000 baht low cost quoted.Thailand is trying to attract tourists, maybe they could follow Singapore and show transit passengers that the streets are not full of red or yellow shirts with smoke bombs or everyone is dropping from bird/swine/buffalo flu.

Anyway, who is going to pay for a trip to Siam Paragon etc, the most expensive shops in Bangkok

• 1 month later...