Selling A Used Car

feffejonsson

Hi everyone. I wonder if anyone has any idea on how to best sell a used car. I have to go abroad for work for a couple of years and therefor have no reason to keep my three year old Mitsubishi pick-up. I would prefer to sell it to another farang but I don´t know where to turn. Are there any good websites? Very thankful to hear suggestions or experiences on the matter.

Cheers!

I gather you are up in Isaan as you posted this in that forum...

I imagine there are car tents there, you wont get a good price, but you will get a quick sale.

There maybe some local magazine in which to advertise cars. Go to the local news agents or anywhere else that sells magazines etc and you might be able to find some local magazines in which to advertise, also, is there any local paper ?

Spreading your target audience to beyond westerners will increase it by an estimated 99% and thus increase your opportunity for a sale.

Why would you prefer to sell it to a westerner?, I cant understand that part, if its sold its sold.

Spreading your target audience to beyond westerners will increase it by an estimated 99% and thus increase your opportunity for a sale.

Why would you prefer to sell it to a westerner?, I cant understand that part, if its sold its sold.

It´s just that in my experience. When selling something person to person. With all due respect but Thai people never seem to be able or willing to pay the whole amount at the time of the transaction. They wan´t to pay it by instalments. I just wan´t to sell my car without any hassle.

Take it to a dealer. Have a price in your mind what you think it's worth and go a little above it. Refuse what he offers you. You will then get calls from him asking if he can bring other people round to look at it. He will accompany them as I assume he'll be getting a back hander from the buyer. The selling point seems to be how much discount you'll give hence why you ask too much. I went through this senario but I wouldn't give the discount. I didn't sell the car until I upped the asking price and then gave discount back to my original price. Thais like discount as most people do.

A Thai will probably use a finance company for the money so they will send an agent around to photograph the car. They don't give a toot about the cars value. They just want a photo and a look at the car documents. About 5 days later they will pay you, not the buyer. They will keep the car documents until the finance has been paid off. That's my story about selling a car in Thailand, I'm sure others have done it differently.

Edited by coventry

I would enjoy seeing a picture of it on the Classified section of this forum, as I often scan through to see what is for sale at what price.

You may be surprised at the response. The foreigners in the area might not want to buy a new vehicle due to the cost, and don't want to buy used from Thai because maintenance is often lacking.

So you are in good position to sell to another foreigner. And foreigners look through the classified section here.

If you decide to post a classified ad on the forum - please add a link here.

If not, can you at least tell me the model pickup and your asking price - Thanks,

kenk3z

I would enjoy seeing a picture of it on the Classified section of this forum, as I often scan through to see what is for sale at what price.

You may be surprised at the response. The foreigners in the area might not want to buy a new vehicle due to the cost, and don't want to buy used from Thai because maintenance is often lacking.

So you are in good position to sell to another foreigner. And foreigners look through the classified section here.

If you decide to post a classified ad on the forum - please add a link here.

If not, can you at least tell me the model pickup and your asking price - Thanks,

kenk3z

I don´t know if it´s allowed according to forum regulations. If not let me know and I´ll delete the link immediately.

Cheers

Stefan

Link: http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/?act=show_...0&aid=24645

• 1 month later...

If the price is right then a westerner might bite at it, given that the history is as we presume westerners take care of vehicles. That was my theory when looking for a vehicle a couple of years ago but I went with a new one as the 2nd hand prices were too close to the new one to make 2nd hand any sense. However, at 3 years old, the difference could be enough.

My experience of dealers is thus. A 15mth to 18mth old D-Max costing 800k new (from the same garage) was quoted at only 400k for resale. now I know that was first gambit but it being so low, the owner just laughed it off. Thus, I don't think you'll get much luck at the dealers. That was at the Isuzu garage in Nangrong, Buriram.

My D-Max is now 2 years old and also cost 800k. With about 30k on the clock and with new brakes all round and 2 tyres changed, I'd probably want north of 600k and yet I doubt I could get 550k. What would I pay for my vehicle, knowing where it came from, well, perhaps I'd pay 600k but realistically I'd be looking in the 500's. Without needing a forced sale, it is not worth selling, even if I wanted to because the prices offered are so low.