Book Club

Lola,

Please open your PM to receive. :)

This message can not be sent because the recipient has their personal messenger disabled or they are in a member group not allowed to use the personal messenger.

This personal message has not been sent

Ok so far there are eight people (including my boyfriend who I am forcing to be a member) that have said they're interested in the book club. So, I think we have enough people to get started.

I suggest the book club meets once a month - the first Wednesday of every month for a couple of hours in the evening, say 6 - 8 pm. (I picked this day and time randomly so if anyone has a problem with it then we can alter it - perhaps 7-9pm might be better in terms of working hours?)

I have done a little bit of research about how to set up a book club and there are two options that I think would be best to get the ball rolling:

1. We hold the first meeting to decide on a reading list. We all bring two book suggestions and either vote on which book to start with or we throw all the suggestions in a hat and pull one out for each month.

2. We decide on a book to get us started, read it and meet in one month's time once we've read that book and then pick the rest of the books as above.

Basically it just depends whether everyone is happy to meet without having a book to discuss or not??

I also suggest that for the first meeting I'll just pick a venue and then if anyone has any better suggestions we can decide on alternative venues when we meet but it would be good to get a regular place so that we don't have to chop and change. I will ask the owner of the place I have in mind if he is happy for us to hold the meeting there.

So what does everyone think???

So members are forced to read a book they possible would not read and not enjoy. Why not let one read loud from his selected book and all discuss it afterwards.

On a side note: I would not choose an ordinary place like a restaurant, resort or similar. I would let the reader, the one who introduces his book, choose the location. A cave with candles, a rock in the sea or Mac Donalds or wherever, all would be fine. Can't see any difficulties in that.

So members are forced to read a book they possible would not read and not enjoy. Why not let one read loud from his selected book and all discuss it afterwards.

On a side note: I would not choose an ordinary place like a restaurant, resort or similar. I would let the reader, the one who introduces his book, choose the location. A cave with candles, a rock in the sea or Mac Donalds or wherever, all would be fine. Can't see any difficulties in that.

No one is forced to do anything (except my other half but I think he secretly loves the idea and is only protesting because he thinks it maintains his super cool image) ... If you don't want to read a book then you don't have to join the book club. That's the whole point - to all read the same book and then discuss it. You might end up loving a book that you would not have otherwise chosen to read. And the whole point of every member choosing a book is that you all get to have an input and no individual is imposing their reading list on you.

I personally couldn't stand being read to by my primary school teacher so I certainly wouldn't sign up for story time with a group of adults.

While it does sound fun to hold a book club meeting in a cave I think it might get a little time consuming for those involved to find a new venue for every meeting. I think a lot of book clubs let the host (or the person that chose the book) choose the venue... we could do that but I think it's easier to get a regular venue. I was thinking of Island Books as someone already said they have a cafe space and might give a discount if we're regular customers.

:)

Book Club Update!!!

I have just spoken to Paul at Island Books who is happy for us to hold book club meetings at his shop in Lamai.

The first book club meeting will be on Wednesday 15th July from 6-8pm.

Please come with a suggestion for a book to add to our reading list. We will use this meeting to determine how many members we actually have, how often to meet, which books to read, where to get the books, etc etc.

Please let me know if you are coming!!!

Wooohooooooooooo - book lovers unite! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Book Club Update!!!

I have just spoken to Paul at Island Books who is happy for us to hold book club meetings at his shop in Lamai.

The first book club meeting will be on Wednesday 15th July from 6-8pm.

Please come with a suggestion for a book to add to our reading list. We will use this meeting to determine how many members we actually have, how often to meet, which books to read, where to get the books, etc etc.

Please let me know if you are coming!!!

Wooohooooooooooo - book lovers unite! :)

Hi! (I'm using my husband's login to reply to your message). I would LOVE to be involved in your book club. Only thing is we are planning WAY ahead and won't be arriving on Samui until April 2010. But if your book club is still running successfully then, and I hope it is, I will most definitely come along and get involved. Please keep posting about the progress of your book club on the forum! Also, if you PM me I will give you my email address so we can keep in touch. Lisa

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all here is a reminder!

The book club is scheduled to meet tomorrow (Wednesday) evening from 6-8 p.m at Island Books in Lamai.

Please send me a personal message if you are planning on coming - otherwise I will cancel it as have not had any confirmations so far.

Cheers!

Hello all here is a reminder!

The book club is scheduled to meet tomorrow (Wednesday) evening from 6-8 p.m at Island Books in Lamai.

Please send me a personal message if you are planning on coming - otherwise I will cancel it as have not had any confirmations so far.

Cheers!

Looking forward to the bookworms meeting :)

Ho hum. Due to a lack of response I am cancelling the book club meeting that was scheduled for this evening. There are a number of people interested who are not on Samui at the moment so it may get resurrected once there are enough of us to make it worthwhile.

Rooo - thanks for responding but I think it's best if we wait until we have a few more people.

I will ring Paul at Island books to let him know we are not coming.

Cheerio!

Hi Lola

Sorry I didnt get back to you my internet is a bit hit and miss at the moment. I went to Island Books yesterday and saw Paul. He says he thinks he could help you with ordering books etc. for the book club. He says it will take him about 6-8weeks so a list would be good so he knows what to order. I'm reading 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' at the moment by Khaled Hosseini... a fantastic novel, maybe we could start with that? Anyway I'm definitely up for the next meeting as long as im not on a visa run.

Speak soon!